Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9CAP - What's a good upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9CAP - What's a good upgrade

I love my Futaba 9CAP radio, which has servedwell the past 8 years. It still works and I use for virtually all of my flying, but showing wear and now the display turns off even though the radio is still transmitting.In 2008 I sent it to Ben/Radio South for a tuneup along with new face plate as the original faceplate "bubbled". It has since begun to bubble again and now display has issues.

All this being said, what's a good upgrade to the 9CAP? I prefer Futaba staying in that 9 - 12 channel arena, and use my existing RX's. I've looked at spectrum or FASST, but ditching 15 old receivers makes my head hurt.

Appreciate all your help - thank you.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 9CAP - What's a good upgrade

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC I love my Futaba 9CAP radio, which has servedwell the past 8 years. It still works and I use for virtually all of my flying, but showing wear and now the display turns off even though the radio is still transmitting.In 2008 I sent it to Ben/Radio South for a tuneup along with new face plate as the original faceplate "bubbled". It has since begun to bubble again and now display has issues. All this being said, what's a good upgrade to the 9CAP? I prefer Futaba staying in that 9 - 12 channel arena, and use my existing RX's. I've looked at spectrum or FASST, but ditching 15 old receivers makes my head hurt. Appreciate all your help - thank you.
You do not mention if the existing Futaba receivers are all PCM, in which case a Futaba Modular TX will be required or if PPM then another brand such as the well reviewed Hitec Aurora is a good choice, especially given the advantages of the included telemetry.
Hitec Aurora Interactive Homepage
Hitec catalogue 2010 - 2.4GHz and Telemetry detail
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation Video 1 = Normal Mode, Video 2 = Scan Mode.
Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation -Video #3 = Answers to questions raised in above Videos 1 & 2. (post #2933 page 296 also refers.)
Aurora A9 - Fly RC Product Review by Scott Stoops with Bob Aberle & Thayer Syme
Aurora A9 - Brief Review with internal photos
Aurora 9ch 2.4GHz -VIDEO series of 7 video Walkthrough Set Ups -Dashboard, Heli, Glider, Acro etc
Aurora 9ch 2.4GHz_72 mHz Manual (14MB .pdf) search included.
Aurora A9 Telemetry - Screens & Displays
Aurora A9 Telemetry - Screens & Displays - Video
Comparison Chart A9 AFHSS_10C FASST_X9303 DSM2
or if using any modular Futaba TX (Many good second hand around now)
Spectra 2.4/Optima 7 Combo
Futaba Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module shape/size/pin slots..:
5UAF, 5UAP, 7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS
(8FGA, 8FGH as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS , 10CH, 10CA
(10CAG or 10CHG as non-module radios can not be accomodated).

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

I love my Futaba 9CAP radio, which has servedwell the past 8 years. It still works and I use for virtually all of my flying, but showing wear and now the display turns off even though the radio is still transmitting.In 2008 I sent it to Ben/Radio South for a tuneup along with new face plate as the original faceplate "bubbled". It has since begun to bubble again and now display has issues.

All this being said, what's a good upgrade to the 9CAP? I prefer Futaba staying in that 9 - 12 channel arena, and use my existing RX's. I've looked at spectrum or FASST, but ditching 15 old receivers makes my head hurt.

Appreciate all your help - thank you.

If you want ot go 2.4GHZ (and you should)the Futaba 10CG is the perfect upgrade path for you. You'll be able to transfer all your setups and the programming is almost identical to the 9 series.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've a 9c, 9c super and a while back went to the 10c Modular while it was still available. I looked at upgrading the 9cSuper to 2.4, but the cost of the RFmodule, and two receivers (one was free at the time) compared to the cost of the 10C with the receivers was only $40 less than the 10C. Ilike the 10C because of the flexibility of using my old 72mhz modules and RXs, and the additional programing ability. Throw in the fixes for the 9c issues and I couldn't be happier.

If you like the 9C, wrinkly skin and all, there are a few different 2.4 upgrades you can use, and still use your old equipment. I wold check one of them out. If you want to go totally 2.4, first look at the RX cost by brand. The Tx's are not much different in price compared to like features, but when you start replacing 4,5 or 10 Rx's to match the new TX, it will really put a dent in your fun money.

Don

Old 05-16-2010, 08:05 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Campgems

I've a 9c, 9c super and a while back went to the 10c Modular while it was still available.
Don
Wow. Same exact path as I went. I still have the 9C Super but use the FM module from it in my 10CAG so it basically is collecting dust. He says his 9C is having other problems (display, etc.)so he would have to address that before using it to upgrade.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I have the 9C that I use with my foamies using a Spektrum 2.4G module.

I bought the 10CAG (2.4G only) for my larger gassers. Man what a nice radio. Huge display.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM
MinnSpin

All good points.

After careful debate, I am getting my radio fixed
Sent to Ben Pham who knows many tricks
And when they come out, I am planning to buy
Futaba 10C, with new modules to try.
But in the meantime, I have an old 6
It feels rather lumpy, tired old sticks
Limited mixing, rather dull to fly
It’s all I’ve got, so I am going to try
Thanks for your help, all who weighed in
Appreciate your suggestions, thanks again
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

CottcoRC,

I understand not wanting to part with your RX's. I myself don't see any reason to switch from 72MHz seeing as all my PCM equipped aircraft are just fine. I switched from a 9CAP to a 9ZAP a few years ago. A solid, good performing TX that does everything I need for my birds. I recently added a second 9ZAP, including 2 PCM RX's, for $250. Check out the Buy & Sell on this site. These bargains come around more often than what people realize. The stick quality of the newer TX's turn me off and I don't have a "need" to "upgrade". It works so no need to try and fix it.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/aviation.html

Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Campgems

Cotton, you may have a bit of a problem finding a 10C modular now. I think they went out of production. If you find one, grab it, it's a great radio.

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
MinnSpin

That's a good idea, will consider my options.
By the way, impressive website - nice planes.
How you guys fly in such heat though, wow.
I, too, am a wetback - includes snow removal as well.

If you're in the area, come fly with us sometime.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

10C transmitter w/module (MSRP listed):

FUTJ9150 10CA R3110DPS SYNTH AIR MD2 US$699.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Futaba systems and accessories.