RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Interference???

Old 07-20-2003, 01:20 PM
zope_pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

I think i have figured out that i have an interference problem but Id like to get a second opinion. I have been flying on this once channel for a while with no problem, but lately i have been having an intermittent problem with a new plane. I switched out rx, xtal, transmitter even. Anyways, when i am flying every once in a while the plane will pitch down suddenly. Most of the time its in straight and level flight. I have flown it 3 times and it has happened. The channel is 50, so i dont know what possibile equipment interferes with 50. However we do have some construction nearby the field and some guys at the field suggested walkie talkies from the workers. Not sure though. In radio interference is it common for the airplane to do the same thing when hit. Its pitched down on all 3 flights! Please help me out, I dont want to risk losing my DP Ultimate. Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

Have you checked for metal to metal contact throughout the plane; any Z bends, flying wires that vibrate, an old switch that lets the contacts vibrate etc. Has any of the equipment been in a crash lately? Sounds like whatever it is is caused in or by your equipment, not outside interferance.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:07 PM
zope_pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

Pull Pull maybe? All of the equipment is new. Flying wires do vibrate. The switch has been flown a lot and never had any probs. My guess would be pull pull wires, and flying wires. But its just wierd that it would pitch down every time, like the same interference. I cant duplicate the problem on the ground either. Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

I had what I thought was an interfearance problem but it turned out to be a bad servo. It would draw so much current because it was wearing out. The reciever would loose power because of the increased current draw of that servo and the plane would spin and nearly crash. I learned the lesson - If you need higher torque get a better servo to handle the job because the servos can cause problems after they get worn out. The good thing is I was able to catch it and not crash then replaced the servo. If you suspect this look for the servo which is very noisy and struggling a bit when moving. My years in the electronics field tought me to look at mechannical components first when diagnosing systems problems.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What field are you flying at?

If your flying at the Arvada field -- then it's outside interference. The field is "dirty". It's got too much chain link fencing around- it's too close to the mountains and all the transmission towers-- it's too close to the 20K Volt powerlines. The concrete runway has metal reinforcement inside. None of these things alone would cause you such grief-- but put them all together and you got a potential for problems. I've lost 2 planes to interference at that field. I joined the Longmont club and have had no problems.

If your flying JR ABC+W RX's at the Arvada field- you'll crash before long. Dual conversion FM RX's seam to do better-- but still no gaurantee of safety. JR only makes dual conversion inthere PCM 900 series RX's. I think it's a 945 or a 955 model that dual conversion. But- even the guys with 40% planes and the PCM dual conversion are going into failsafe a lot.

If your flying at MAS or Cherry Creek- then I'd say you have an internal problem.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

I have seen this happen when flying with Hitec 605 and Futaba 9202 servos. While flying straight and level the plane will "jump" for no reason. I would check your servos.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

You will never see an interference problem happen the same way on multiple occasions. It will always be a little different.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 AM
zope_pope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

Nylon coated pull pull wouldnt cause this would it? I checked the pull pull. THe switch has been used numerous times in other airplanes. Another possibility is the battery, any thoughts of something loose inside that? Its a brand new battery, never been crashed, but I hear that some ship with a loose connector and that could possibily get the plane to glitch. Thanks for all the help guys, keep it comming. I really would like to fix this prob.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

I use nylon coated pull-pull exclusivley with never a problem, even with the antenna routed near them. The above comment about a servo that is worn, has high friction, or whatever and draws high current can difinately cause the problems you are experiencing. Have you tried out swapping out servos, one at a time?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Interference???

nylon is not conductive it will not cause RF interference.