RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo recomendation

Old 07-20-2003, 04:09 PM
crashlessons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default servo recomendation

I'm building a new .40 size fun fly and design calls for seperate servos for a 2 piece elevator. I'm considering the HS 81 MG but don't want to deal with improper center issues so often associated with hitec servos.

I have all hitec and futaba receivers, and like the idea of $24 each for the servos from tower. That's cheap enough.

What options do I have for the price range with metal gears, .11 speed (or so) and enough torq to do the job? (BTW, the hs 81 mg is rated at just over 35 oz/in torq. for a total of about 70 oz/in. I think that aught to do the job??!?)

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Pilotsmoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why do you want metal gears? You should be fine with plastic. Hitecs not centering? Never heard about that, at least not with their standard sized servos.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:44 PM
crashlessons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lots of talk on rcuniverse about hitec not centering consistantly, experienced it with cheap ones myself but never tried better quality hitecs. Want to check on alternatives before buying them.

metal cuz I don't want them to strip so easy. I plan to thrash this plane to the extreme. If I drop it on the tail from a hover, I don't want to have to replace plastic gears.

Basically I want less time fixing and more time flying. It's a foam wing, corro tail feathers, and foam/corro fuse. It's a little heavier than a balsa built up like topcap or omp edge, but much more durable/crashable for learning new stunts.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HS 80,81 or 85's as well as any other micro is simply not going to give you the durability you are looking for and if you drop it on the tail you are going to be replacing gears plastic or metal on any size/price servo.

Useing micros of any brand on a fun fly of that size with giant surfaces/throws is looking for trouble. Those tiny gears will only take so much irreguardless of the material it is made of. A better route is the 225 or 425. The 225 would be at an absolute minimum.

I use over 40 225's Just for pylon racers that reach speeds of 180 mph with success however these airplanes use tiny surfaces and throws of just a few degrees and that is how we get away with it. Also plastic gears are prefered simply because the around three bucks for replacement is a lot easier to swallow than the typical 13 or more for metal replacements.

If you make a habit of dropping on your tail you will be doing a lot of replacement.

John