Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

mixing or thumbing? what is the advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:04 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mixing or thumbing? what is the advantage?

I have been wanting to mess around with my computer radio. So far i have just used the A.T.V. and servo reverse. What is the advantage of rudder coupling with ailerons or elevator with flaps or throttle.
so far I adjust flight path with control inputs. I am wanting to sharpen my skills as a acrobatic RC PILOT . with a computer radio im lost as where to begain. I can still hear my instructer 20 yrs ago "you dont need all that fancy stuff you just need a good pair of thumbs". well my need to be all I can be has outgrown my thumbs in this day in age.

Futaba 6xa
dual ail. servos plane # 1
dual ail. and ele. servos plane # 2
Old 07-21-2003, 02:07 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dalolyn,
By mixing things using your radio, you are taking out some inputs you regularly have to give, letting you focus more on your aircraft and how it is flying.

The 6XAS is an entry level computer radio and won't give you a lot of flexibility for computer programming, but it does give you a starting point.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 AM
3D Joy

Beware of the program mixes you have in your radio, they are active only when you are on elevator low rates. When you switch to elevator high rates, the radio turns the mixes off. It is so stupid I can't think there is no way to change this but I have found no way.

I like to mix rudder coupling with 2 P-mixes. The first is rudder-elevator and the second is rudder-aileron. I am thinking of making them switchable (something you can't do so you may like them all the time) so they don't affect other flight characteristics when I use rudder for stall turns or anything not knife edge.

For 3D flying, a lot of mixes are really helpful. I use spoilerons (both ailerons up) for harriers. I also use elevator-flap for walls and waterfalls.

Aileron differential is very helpful for making rolls more axial.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:47 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

"Beware of the program mixes you have in your radio, they are active only when you are on elevator low rates. When you switch to elevator high rates, the radio turns the mixes off. It is so stupid I can't think there is no way to change this but I have found no way. "

to adequately use the mixes in the radio, first go in and change the dual rate type so that the 3 dual rates are together on your aileron dual rate switch. then the former elevator dual rate switch is now available to use for mixing.