Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba T8UAP with Hitec 2.4 Module problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
cloud_master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba T8UAP with Hitec 2.4 Module problems

Hello all. I have a Futaba T8UAP transmitter and recently purchased the Hitec plug in 2.4 module and two receivers for a B-day gift. I've installed the module but the instructions for the antenna base left a lot to be desired. The hitec plastic base will not screw into the transmitter. The transmitter has to be open up and a nut taken off the screw otherwise there is not enough threads showing for the base to screw into. Also, the original signal wire for the old transmitter antenna is on this screw, so I took it off; being there is no more antenna signal being used. This was the first issue. I had since installed the first receiver into my electric ultimate, and had successful flights with it in 2.4 ghz mode.

Tonight, I was setting up my Patt Wagstaff Extra with the other 2.4 receiver. As I was checking things out, I noticed that I could move the elevator from stop to stop, and intermittantly get the rudder to glitch. It seemed that I could get the rudder to glitch as well, when having the elevator to the full down, and move the ailerons. This made absolutely no sense. I checked all the premixes, and everything is inhibited. Nothing is on. I then tried the Ultimate for the heck of it, and could also spuratically get the rudder to glitch on that when moving the elevator. No real rhyme or reason to it, but the rudder will glitch up to about 3/16ths on an inch; so not a real lot, but glitching regardless.

I put my transmitter back to 72mhz mode and reinstalled my pcm receiver into the extra, and I have no glitches......

If I had to guess, i'd say there is either something wrong with the transmitter 2.4 module, seeing how this problem is happening to both receivers, or there is an incompatibility issue between the futaba transmitter and hitec module. I will be trying a different hitec module tomorrow and can post results, but looking to see if anyone has any similiar experiences or has an answer to my problems. Thank you.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba T8UAP with Hitec 2.4 Module problems

ORIGINAL: cloud_master Hello all. I have a Futaba T8UAP transmitter and recently purchased the Hitec plug in 2.4 module and two receivers for a B-day gift. I've installed the module but the instructions for the antenna base left a lot to be desired. The hitec plastic base will not screw into the transmitter. The transmitter has to be open up and a nut taken off the screw otherwise there is not enough threads showing for the base to screw into. Also, the original signal wire for the old transmitter antenna is on this screw, so I took it off; being there is no more antenna signal being used. This was the first issue. I had since installed the first receiver into my electric ultimate, and had successful flights with it in 2.4 ghz mode. Tonight, I was setting up my Patt Wagstaff Extra with the other 2.4 receiver. As I was checking things out, I noticed that I could move the elevator from stop to stop, and intermittantly get the rudder to glitch. It seemed that I could get the rudder to glitch as well, when having the elevator to the full down, and move the ailerons. This made absolutely no sense. I checked all the premixes, and everything is inhibited. Nothing is on. I then tried the Ultimate for the heck of it, and could also spuratically get the rudder to glitch on that when moving the elevator. No real rhyme or reason to it, but the rudder will glitch up to about 3/16ths on an inch; so not a real lot, but glitching regardless. I put my transmitter back to 72mhz mode and reinstalled my pcm receiver into the extra, and I have no glitches...... If I had to guess, i'd say there is either something wrong with the transmitter 2.4 module, seeing how this problem is happening to both receivers, or there is an incompatibility issue between the futaba transmitter and hitec module. I will be trying a different hitec module tomorrow and can post results, but looking to see if anyone has any similiar experiences or has an answer to my problems. Thank you.
Spectra Pro Antenna Mast Fitting to other than Aurora TX.
Spectra Pro Antenna Mast DIY Remote TX Mounting for 2.4GHz Antenna (Dual Std & 2.4)
With regard to periodic glitch between elevator/rudder,
a. Have used with an 8UAP - no problems.
When was that old TXlast serviced?[FWIW a small circuit board is mounted at the base of stick. Wires from the board are connected back to the relevant pot and the continued flexing of these wires hasfatigued the wires to the point of breaking in a several 8UAP. ]
b. Try on another model memory without any mixing and see if same problem occurs.
c. In need, contact Hitec Warranty & Service direct.
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
rudder turns

Hi A.T. Are you on PPM??? Not PCM. I hope that fixes your problem,Mine works Great. Ed
Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
cloud_master

If you are referring to my problems, yes, I was in PPM.

I gave Hitec a call today and talked to their service guy. He did not have an answer as to why I was getting my rudder glitch, nor has he heard of anything. I think it's an incompatibility issue.Again, when reinstalling my 72Mhz module,I have noglitching of the rudder........... I also believe, that if you are going to advertise your module set being compatible with a transmitter, it shouldNOT necessitate opening the transmitter up to modify the inside to work with their antenna base. That to me, does not mean it's compatible. I'll be putting my trusty 72Mhz module back in. If i decide to go with 2.4, i'll either buy the Futaba module, or get a new radio system all together already set up with 2.4 from the factory. It's not worth it to me to put an airplane into the ground due to un answered questions of compatibility.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 AM
ss40

You do not need to open it up to put it on the base. I rigged up an alternative easily for my Futaba. The module has shown itself to be compatible to the Futaba TX's by a lot of people. It is unfortunate that you are experiencing a problem. Perhaps you could test it on another Futaba or Hitec TX or send it in and see what Hitec cn do to correct the problem.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have been using the Hitec 2.4 module in my 9CHP with great results. I could not get the Hitec base to screw onto my Futaba either. I removed the small o-ring in the bottom of the Hitec mast. This will allow it to screw on to the Futaba but the best bet would be to put a longer screw in.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
lherning

I think it must be a problem with your TX, I have been using exactly that combination for a while: T8UAP Super + Hitec 2.4Ghz Module. PERFECT operation, no problems at all in different models, settings, mixings etc. 0 compatibility issues. In fact I'm really happy and thinking about modify my old 7UAP also.

Regards,
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 AM
WILDGAS

Can I use a Spectra 2.4GHz Transmitter Module in my Futaba 9CAP without any problems? Can I fly with this combination?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:41 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: WILDGAS Can I use a Spectra 2.4GHz Transmitter Module in my Futaba 9CAP without any problems? Can I fly with this combination?
Yes, the Hitec RCD Spectra Pro2.4GHz moduleiscompatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module form factor such as:
Futaba 5UAF, 5UAP
7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS (8FGA, 8FGH are not supported because they are non-module radios)
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
10CH, 10CA (10CAG or 10CHG are not supported because they are non module radios).

Note:RF "live"indicator LED will not light up, on those TX where one is installed, as the RF output is via the module not the original RF circuit.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guys,I'm using the hitec modular on my 8u and my 9c,Works great on both.
I took off the back of the transmitters replaced the antenna screw with a slightly longer metric screw,I think It was 1inch long,put it all back together with a flat washer on top of the nut,so it doesn't rune the bottom of the 2.4 hitec antenna base by the O ring.
I can easily go from 2.4 to 72 without a problem.
Recently the low voltage alarm,along with a tower volt watch,saved my pattern ship,I had a bad on- board switch.[&o] Thanks Ed