Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex Royal Pro or Futaba FX-30?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
hon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Royal Pro or Futaba FX-30?

I am new to RC flying. I intend to fly glides and helis. Which one is better? Multiplex or FX-30?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
the-jessman

Default RE: Multiplex Royal Pro or Futaba FX-30?

I fly powered planes and gliders with my Multiplex Royal Pro. I've never used the Futaba so I can't compare it to the FX-30 but what I can say is that I really REALLY like my Royal Pro. I think MPX has been way ahead of the game when it comes to programming and flexibility and if you look at lot of the features newer transmitters have its all stuff that MPX has had for years. Now I think the gap between MPX and other systems has closed a lot recently but still I really doubt you would ever regret getting the Royal Pro. One thing I would recommend is that you get at least the 9 channel version. I saw in another thread you were thinking about the 7 channel version. The 7 channel version will probably work for 85% of what you will ever want to do but the 9 channel will probably get you to 97% and I think its worth the difference in price.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Pippin

There is only one answer: Futaba FX30.

You get the better system with more flight modes and the S-BUS system. Also, the switches and sticks have a higher quality than those of the MPX.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM
the-jessman

The Royal Pro's have 4 flight modes. If having more than that is important to you, then that should probably factor into your decision (having more than 4 wasn't important to me). As far as the Futaba having better sticks and switches I'm not sure how you can quantify that so you can make an objective comparison. They both have ball-bearing gimbals. I know the Royal Evo gimbals are fully adjustable for centering tension, throttle detent strength (both sticks), and stick angle. When it comes to feel the best thing you can do is to find both in a hobby shop and see how they feel in your hands, since it really comes down to how they feel to you, and not to someone else.

If you want to get a really good idea for what the Royal Pro can do from a programming perspective I suggest you download the tutorial and just take a look at some of the examples in it. My experience is that if you can think of it, there is probably a way to do it on Royal Pro. You can get the tutorial [link=http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorschau/upload/d_anleitungen/t_re_9_12_tutor_gb.pdf]here[/link].
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
sash28

Hello.

And what do you think about Multiplx Royal Pro 16 for helicopters program?

Regards

Stephane
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
sash28

Hello.

Anybody know if Royal Pro 16 (or 9) is good for helicopters?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have the Multiplex Royal Evo 12.
I would not recommend it to anyone unless you happen to have a glider pilot neighbor named Jody
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Royal EVO 9 for years that I loved, I flew pattern planes and helis with it. The heli set up can be a little challenging depending on the heli and there is a great number of sailplane guys who use it. When you compare the FX30 to the EVO they are pretty close on features (I looked at the FX-30 as a buddy of mine is a Futaba team pilot) with the nod going to the FX-30 but you pay for it. If you break it down without getting into a point by point comparison the Futaba has a better gimbal and the EVO has a lower price point. The EVO does a lot for the money and as I said...I had one and loved it. Upgradable firmware, data backup, rotatable gimbals, fully assignable controls.....these were all things that cost a lot of money in a radio ack when I bought my EVO that can be had for less money these days.

If you want to explore another option, I sold my EVO and bought an Airtronics SD-10G when I switched to 2.4ghz from 72mhz due to the lack of a Multiplex 2.4ghz conversion available here in the US.....and have not looked back. It's heli set up is MUCH easier than the EVO and I believe the new FAI F3J champ is flying that radio as well which speaks to it's sailplane capability. It is thicker than either the FX-30 or the EVO which takes a little getting used to, but it is certainly a capable radio.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 AM
ChuckA

I have been using the Evo 9 for the last 5 years and will NEVER go back to anything by Futaba. The last good Futaba I owned was a 1985 FG Gold box. If I have to buy anything other than an Evo, it will be a Hitec. I always had good luck and good service with my Hitec radios.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM
sash28

Ok,
If I understand your messages, Mpx Royal Pro 16 is not a good choice for helicopters?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will fly a helicopter, but depending on swashplate, it may be a little difficult to set up and be somewhat limited. I flew all my helis with my EVO, some took more work than others to set up.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Rpinto

ORIGINAL: petec

It will fly a helicopter, but depending on swashplate, it may be a little difficult to set up and be somewhat limited. I flew all my helis with my EVO, some took more work than others to set up.
Hi Petec,

Would be kind and share with me your Heli setups, is t very difficult to me understand someone who wants to help me but speak FUTABA language. Thanks