Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Jr 549x receiver problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
awesome crasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jr 549x receiver problem

I hasven't flown for ages but last time I did I crashed (hence the name) damaged my OS 46fx engine and also it would appear my rx unit. When i attach the battery back to the rx the control surfaces move but I get no movemant through the gimbles on my transmitter (JR XP-652 -36MHZ). I note that the csystal on the rx unit has a bit broken off the corner (does'nt appear to be any internal damage). Can anyone suggest if I need to replace the whole rx or is it possibly just the crystal??

Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
MaineBear

Default RE: Jr 549x receiver problem

Assuming both your batteries are good (fully charged), and the rx has no damage other than as you describe, I definitely suspect it's a crystal problem and needs to be replaced. I would not junk your rx (yet). Crystals are tuned/cut for specific frequencies, and any damage such as you describe would cause it oscillate at a different frequency. They are relatively inexpensive. However, not knowing the extent of your crash, etc I would think you may want to consider a full check-out of the rx and tx to make sure both units tuned together. I've flown my 549 (and 8103) over 10 yrs without a problem - but then I haven't suffered a crash either; it's a great rx. A cost comparison would be in order, too - i.e. repair vs a new rx. Regards...

Dick
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM
awesome crasher

Thanks Dick,
As you can see this was my first post-I'm really new at this and appreciatre your response. i think I might try the crystals first but know that i can get a 2nd hand rx in good condition at a good price if all else fails
Thanks again

Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 PM
awesome crasher

Has any one else out there experienced this same sort of problem with an rx??
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
slarty

Make certain that you are set to PPM on the XP652 for a 549 receiver
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a corner broken off the plastic housing, chances are good that the crystal has taken a hard enough knock to break it internally.

You might still get a small "twitch" of the servos when you turn on the receiver, but it would not respond to the TX.

With that hard of a knock, it would be a good idea to have it checked. 72 Mhz receivers are full of components that may not take kindly to shock - tuning coils, IF filters, etc.

Try a crystal, but please at least give your receiver some additional testing - you can take the handle of a screwdriver (fluted handle) and with it against the receiver, twirl the screwdriver to vibrate the RX. Do this with everything connected and the TX on (that is, if the crystal makes it start working again). If you see unwanted servo movement or jittering, something in the RX may very well be broken and intermittent.

If it was me, as inexpensive as 72 MHz receivers are getting, if you know of one (or some) with a good history from someone you trust, I'd be thinking about a new RX.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 AM
awesome crasher

Fizzwater2 - I tried thetrickwith the screwdriver but no result ! I have noticed that when i connect the rx battery the charger light doesn't come on at all whereas the tx light doesn't go off. I figured I might try a new rx battery and see what resulti get. Any other suggestions??
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a new crystal? If it's not responding even with a new crystal, then you're probably better off finding a new RX. For what you can pick up nice used 72MHz rx's for, you could hardly afford to ship one off for repair..

Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 AM
awesome crasher

to you knowledgeableelectronics people out there !!I need some advise, as you can see by the previous posts I have had problems with this JR 549x rx.which i haven't been able to resolve.
I have located a 549x rx at a really good price however it is a 9 channel on a different frequency. Is it possible to use this with my 6 channel radio if I just change the crystal?? Any help greatly appreciated Ta
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

You should really start your own thread to ask a different question. But what transmitter are you using? What frequency is the TX on? 35mhz 40mhz, 50, 72? What frequency is the RX on?