RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How offen do I need to......

Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How offen do I need to......

Cycling.
How often do I need to do cycling for my batteries? Can I do that w/o the charger which can do cycling? Is it a difference in cycling NiCa and NiMH? Any answers would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you
Old 07-23-2003, 10:50 PM
strato911

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a more in-depth answer, I suggest you perform a search in the Batteries & Chargers forum.

The main reason for cycling your batteries is to check their capacity, to ensure they are still capable of providing close to their rated capacity. Therefore, cycling cannot be done PROPERLY without a cycler (although you could build your own). There are cyclers which only measure the pack's capacity, without having a charger circuit, but I would recommend getting one which has the two integrated into one unit.

As far as I know, the procedure for cycling NiCd and NiMh are the same, and only need to be done once or twice per year (depending on how frequently you fly, and the duration of your flying season). I cycle my packs prior to the beginning of my flying season, since it is only about 6 months.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nimh's don't require cycling, and neither do NiCads presuming you don't partially discharge the battery and then recharge it to the same level many times. Cycling your packs is nothing more than draining them all the way after use and then charging them fully. In RC use NiCad memory effect almost never actually occurs. It's most common in NiCad cordless phone's because they're usually only used briefly then let to charge again. Which when done repeatedly destroys the battery's ability to maintain a charge. If you in the normal course of use discharge the battery completely at least once every 5-10 times you use it cycling is just a pointless waste of energy.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:20 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whenever you use your equipment, you'e cycling the battery.

Memories only build up when you discharge to the same point repeatedly.

If you're not using your eqipment, cycle about once a month.

Also, contrary to popular belief, NiMHs DO develop memories.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can get a lot of missinformation on batteries here on the forums. Go to either rcbatteryclinic.com (Red's site) and/or www.buchmann.ca/ for good honest info on the care and feeding of all types of batteries. Don't believe half of what you read or hear at the local field.