Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclips and Spectra

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM
jmf2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclips and Spectra

Hi Guys. I read some of your problems. Very interesting. However I have one I cant figure out. I have been using my Hitec Eclips with the Spectra moduel for the past 2 years on all channeles and they all work fine. The problem I am having is that since I started to use the transmitter I haven't been able to land a plane with the engine running. At the present I have 7 different planes in the memory. From trainers to Pattern ships. What happenes is that when I am comming in once the throttle setting gets up to the half way point the engines quit. Yet on the ground you can count the rpms without the engines quiting. It only happens in the air. I have sent some e-mails to Hitec and they say if it works on the ground then it should also work ok in the air. Yet it dosent. Any one got any ideas'as to why this is happening?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like an engine problem, not a radio problem...
Old 08-11-2003, 08:25 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I kinda doubt it is the radio, but I suppose it is remotely possible as I have seen a similar problem once before. In that case, the user accidentally programmed in a weird mix that effected throttle. In his case, he couldn't turn the engine off anymore. I'd check to be sure everything is programmed properly on the radio. Other than that, with the info you gave I too gotta believe the problem resides somewhere in the planes, not the TX. Is this happening with more than one plane? Are you sure you aren't setting your idle too low?

Cheers
Old 08-12-2003, 02:05 AM
strato911

I agree - it sounds like an engine problem.

Don't forget that while the plane is flying, the mixture becomes leaner than on the ground. If you have your mixture set to lean, it may be leaning out in flight, resulting in "dead-stick" landings.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:16 PM
jmf2001

Default Hitec Radio

What you guys make sense except for one thing. I am talking about 7 different planes and 3 different brand engins. It is unlikely that none of the engines are set correctely. In addition when I use different radios with these planes I dont get dead stic'k landings. Same engines and same settings. And that is why I cant figure out what is going on.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:34 PM
SDR-Hammer

This is just a thought from way out in left field. Do you have the throttle cut programmed in these models to kill the engines? I’ve seen guys use a little “body English” as a plane flies, could it be that your accidentally hitting the T-cut as you bring them in?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 PM
3DFanatic

You didn't mention that it was happening to all 7...

Maybe you're throttle trim is set too low??? So when you bring the throttle stick all the way down the engien dies???
Old 08-12-2003, 11:54 PM
3DFanatic

SDR, by the way, the Eclipse has a engine cut button that's near the programming buttons and it would be hard to hit in-flight...
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 AM
gtalbot

Default Glider Mode

The Eclipse may have a throttle function related to Flaps in the Glider mode. It's possible your throttle is linked to your flap switch.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:16 PM
jmf2001

Everything has been checked. My throttle is not set to cut off no matter what switch I hit. As for the throttle trim set to low it is the same setting I use on the flight box and the engine's do not quit. It is only on landings. It's really a bummer and I cant figure it out. Just cannot make a engine running landing with any model with that transmitter. Beats the h--l out of me.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:06 PM
REDLAWNPILOT

On some transmitters, you can pull the throttle stick back far enough to cut the engine off when retarding the throttle. Try this on the ground with the engine idling, and pull the throttle stick back as far as it will go and see if it cuts off.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:11 PM
SDR-Hammer

Originally posted by 3DFanatic
SDR, by the way, the Eclipse has a engine cut button that's near the programming buttons and it would be hard to hit in-flight...
I own an Eclipse, agreed the T-cut button would be hard to hit, but you never know any thing is possible especially if using a Tx tray.

Like I said, just a wild thought.

jmf2001, I would suggest having another pilot in your club (that you feel comfortable with) bring one of your birds in and see if it happens with them too. Just another step in the process of elimination.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 AM
3DFanatic

Also, try setting up a flight condition to have a higher idle and flip on that flight condition before you set up for a landing.

??????? Maybe???
Old 08-19-2003, 01:28 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too run a Hitec Eclipse with 6 out of 7 plane settings used. I have never had that problem... Heck, I've never had any problem with the Eclipse. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the Hitec 100% throw is a touch wider than a Futaba 100% throw and is actually causing your engines to idle lower... but this would be fixed by trimming up the idle. Hmmmmm... just a guess.