Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7 Qpcm vs JR XP783

Old 07-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 Qpcm vs JR XP783

I am debating on which radio to buy. The Eclipse is going to cost about $50 bucks more but it comes wih the spectra module, its new and has a warranty. Both of the radios I was looking at come with PCM RX. The Eclipse seems to be a better buy than the discontinued JR XP783.

What I really want to know is, does the JR XP783 have any features at all the Eclipse 7 does not have? Hopefuly someone has or has had both radios at one time and can tell me.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:14 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Eclipse.

The spectra Module makes all the difference. Now if it was between the new JR 7 channel and the eclipse it would be a much closer competition. But in this case I see no reason to go with the JR.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Swat Cop

Default Eclipse

My only conern is from all the threads I have read here, it looks like I might need the warranty for the Eclipse. There seems to be a lot of problems with it posted here for a new radio sysm.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:05 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

In our club there's plenty of hitec wiht no complaints...
Old 07-25-2003, 09:22 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only just an opinion, A choice between a new Eclipse with Specta module and a discontinued JR 783 without the capability of a synthesized tx is a no brainer. Have been using four Hitec Prism 7X's and and one Eclipse all with Spectra modules since the introduction of the Prism around six or seven years ago and the performance/reliability meets or exceeds anything on the market at any price. I firmly beleive there will come a time when a crystal controlled system will be unmarketable.
By the way, Hitec's service is absolutely the best and most liberal around and I have used all the majors since the days of Orbit.

John
Old 08-03-2003, 04:05 AM
Swat Cop

Default I made the wrong choice

Well, I chose the new Hitec Eclipse7 with QPCM and my fears came true. I got a lemon. Just began setting up the radio and found there is an intermittant problem, the servos will work fine some of the time, some of the time they glitch and finally some of the time they just freeze and don't work at all! The whole system has locked up three times in the last hour while tying to set it up. I am glad I found this out on the ground and not in the air. The spectra module also gets hotter than hell.

Well, I guess I will get a chance to see first hand the awsome warranty Hitec has. I wonder if they have a money back warranty, I should have gone with the used JR radio. Quite frankly I am now scared to fly my expensive planes with this cheap radio. JR "Feel the difference" yes I do.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:16 AM
Friar_Tuck
My Feedback: (12)

Don't take this the wrong way Please, but did you by chance have the antenna extended while you were doing all this?
Old 08-03-2003, 04:22 AM
Swat Cop

Default Eclipse

Antennea up or down didn't make a difference. I suspect the problem is the spectra module, its very hot.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:24 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

If the antenna is down the Spectra will get hot.. Don't have any idea why but it does...
Old 08-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

RF module is tuned to an antenna that is fully extended; if you have the radio on with antenna down, you mis-match the output impedence of the RF stage to the antenna, it will "reflect" back enough RF energy to significantly heat up the RF module - not a good idea at all!
Old 08-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Swat Cop

Default Just double checked

Antennea extended, Spectra still gets hot and servos glitchin like crazy. Just swapped out and put my JR gear back in.