Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mini-disaster question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini-disaster question

Seems I've ruined a 1600 5 cell RX battery and probably a receiver. I am wondering why and seeking explanations. I was setting up an engine test stand which I have done many times. I just needed to set the throttle servo and plugged in the battery directly into the RX battery slot, with no switch in between. Receiver was a Futaba six channel. I've done that many times before, but I don't remember if I was using a 5 cell battery before. The battery immediately shorted, burned my hand, and smoked on a spot on the battery, and melted the connector. I quickly disconnected the battery, but I think the damage has been done. What rules did I violate. What a bonehead!!!

Thanks.............
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini-disaster question

The 5 cell battery shouldn't have hurt the RX. I've plugged batteries directly into RXs MANY times while testing servos on the bench. I run 5 cells all the time. No problems. The switch does nothing except open or close the circuit.

For that type of damage to occur, you had a dead short somewhere. Check the RX with another battery - the short may actually be there, since the battery didn't meltdown until you plugged it in.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: GarySS Seems I've ruined a 1600 5 cell RX battery and probably a receiver. I am wondering why and seeking explanations. I was setting up an engine test stand which I have done many times. I just needed to set the throttle servo and plugged in the battery directly into the RX battery slot, with no switch in between. Receiver was a Futaba six channel. I've done that many times before, but I don't remember if I was using a 5 cell battery before. The battery immediately shorted, burned my hand, and smoked on a spot on the battery, and melted the connector. I quickly disconnected the battery, but I think the damage has been done. What rules did I violate. What a bonehead!!! Thanks.............
What type of plug on the battery lead? If a Futaba J plug then reverse polarity is unlikey.
However, unlike other brands which have long snipped out the signal pin in the RX battery slot or have a protective diode where necessary, Futaba did not do so until recently. Plugging a battery in with polarity reversed has been known to short out a number of Futaba RX, especially the two channel units used in gliders, cars and boats..

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

It is quite possible I had reversed the plug and it went into the RX. The RX is toast as I noticed the pins for channel 3 are gone. Guess I will be ordering some new equipment. Thanks for the responses.....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plugging it in backwards shouldn't do any harm. It's a 3 wire plug with power in the center, so if you get it backwards power is still in the center and there's no clear path to ground.

If plugging in a battery backwards would cause a short every receiver in the world would have burned up by now. They are designed to be resistant to errors.

TF
Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: rctom Plugging it in backwards shouldn't do any harm. It's a 3 wire plug with power in the center, so if you get it backwards power is still in the center and there's no clear path to ground.
If plugging in a battery backwards would cause a short every receiver in the world would have burned up by now. They are designed to be resistant to errors. TF
Please re-read post #3, many RX batteries including Futaba supplied RX battery boxes,use JSTor similar 2 pinconnectors. Have had a number of earlier Futaba RX presented which have had polarity reversed.

Regards
Alan T.