Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What is BEC ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
tallpauly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is BEC ??

Hello all, Im reposting this question becasue no one answered and I sure could use some help!!
I have a seaking brushless speed control and it has BEC. Im told that this circut elimanates the need
for a receiver's battery back. now that being said, can I use any receiver for this? Ive got it pluged into
my stock traxxas receiver 27mhz am ,and it works but Im worried that it will fry the circut's in the receiver???
what do you think? thanks Paul
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is BEC ??

Well the BEC (battery eliminator circuit) takes your LIPO battery voltage of up to say 12 volts and provides a 5 volt output to your Rx. Most low cost ESC are limited to 12 volt in.

You can check it out by connecting your Lipo to the ESC ...and seeing what voltage is on the BEC/Rx connector. For airplanes it is normally connected to the throttle channel on the Rx so it controls the motor via the ESC and also powers up the system.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is BEC ??

ORIGINAL: tallpauly Hello all, Im reposting this question becasue no one answered and I sure could use some help!!
I have a seaking brushless speed control and it has BEC. Im told that this circut elimanates the need
for a receiver's battery back. now that being said, can I use any receiver for this? Ive got it pluged into
my stock traxxas receiver 27mhz am ,and it works but Im worried that it will fry the circut's in the receiver???
what do you think? thanks Paul
As per post #2. However, you do not disclose what servo(s) you are powering.
Ifrunninga large off roader ortruck then a large steering servo could overload the BEC which is usually capable of only 1.0A - 1.5A depending upon the input voltage. The higher the input voltage the fewer servos can be driven.
As a rule of thumb for cheaper ESC, 2S lipo = 3<4 std servo, 3S Lipo = 2 servo, 3S Lipo usually disconnect the red lead from plug and use a switchmodevoltage regulator (sometimes called UBEC) in place of the BEC.Electronic Speed Control - Why BEC and LVC cause most EP RX problems

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links