Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FP-7UAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:07 AM
flyboy11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Hey, do any of you guys own this radio? If so, what do you think about it? What kind of mixes can it do, dual rates, expo, etc. I am thinking about buying one and would like to know your opinions. Also, any specs and general info on it would be great as well.
Thanks,
John
Old 07-25-2003, 01:42 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Futaba FP-7UAF

The 7U series was a good radio, and will do about anything you could want, but is a pain to program. The 9C is a way better radio. It is a lot easier to program and can do a lot more.

If you are getting it for a really good price, find the Edenburg book on programming it and you will be fine. It will do just about any combo of mixing you could want. If you are paying a lot for it, bag it and get the 9C. You will be happy you did.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Giant Scale

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

I have a 7uaps and the radio is very versatile. Can do just about any kind of mix you would need for airplanes. I purchased the Edberg book and it was very helpful. I'm also using it in my heli and it handles this task with ease. Once you learn how to program it is pretty easy to use. It only has 4 model memory which is a pain if you have lots of planes. I picked up mine off of e-bay for around $130.00 for the transmitter, module and charger.
If you get one at a good price I'd pick one up, the 8u is also a good radio if you can find one of them. The 8u has some additional features like the campac which provides additional memory.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:07 PM
flyboy11

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Thanks guys! I found one on e-bay for $70. It has the transmitter, battery and manual for it. I thought it was a pretty good deal myself. Anyways, thanks for the info!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:29 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Remember also that the 7UAF is about 15 + years old. Check the batteries well. They could be due for a change. That will cost almost as much as the radio if you pay that.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Bill_Jehle
My Feedback: (1)

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

I still fly my helis with one I bought in the early 90s. A new battery is about $32.00. Go to futabarc.com/manuals and you can download the manual which will give you all the features.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:52 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Futaba FP-7UAF

I have 2 7uaf radios. Love them both. Took a while to learn programming, but once you do it, it's easy. I just wish I could copy the program for the super and put that chip in mine. Futaba said it wasn't possible because of too many different platforms (yeah right!). Don't tell me I can't, 'cause then I REALLY will. Just need to find a donor radio for the program. Heck I'd even buy a super 7 to try it.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:58 AM
rcav8or

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Actually, I have worked on over 100 of the 7ua's - plain vanilla's and Supers...the 7UA and Super are entirely different - it wasn't just the program. The only way you would be able to do it, is a whole new board, and that ain't feasible!

The Super is a bit better, but I personally owned perhaps 6 or 8 of them, both ua's and ua-S's. I now have 2 8UA's and a 9CA, but would never hesitate to pick up a nice Super, would I find one.

$70 is a good price.

Also, the new battery would be a far better battery than the originals. One thing I found very wise to do, was to get rid of the 9-volt type connector on the original by opening it up, and putting a standard servo type connector in place of it, so you can use standard batteries. I ran SR batteries, 1000mah's. When I got out of the hobby in '95, I had several of the SR batteries. When I got back into the hobby, in '99, I bought a 7-Super. I charged and cycled one of the SR's, and it cycled just like new!! Really surprised me - give them a look-see.

And enjoy the 7UA!!

R
Old 07-27-2003, 04:01 AM
rcav8or

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Oops - forgot to mention - it wouldn't hurt to send it in to Futaba to have it checked out - these are older radios, and the components have a tendency over long periods of time to lose a bit of their original specs - they can check it out, and make sure it meets specs - fine tweaking, so to speak. I think it was about $30 when I last did one.

Good preventative maintenance...

R
Old 07-28-2003, 01:13 AM
flyboy11

Default Futaba FP-7UAF

Thanks for all the replies! The info really helps. Thanks again!

John
Old 10-12-2003, 01:36 PM
hadis

Default RE: Futaba FP-7UAF

Hi,
Does it have functions for heli programming / mixing ?

Thanks.