RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Tx has no RF.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 PM
tailheavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba Tx has no RF.

My FP-T8UHF transmitter stopped showing the little rf cursor in the display after I used it with real flight. After doing a quick check on someone elses radio I found my Tx had no 10 volts on pin two where the rf module plugs into (module removed). Just wondered if there is a way to trace where the 10 volts comes from. It looks like it comes from the grey wire on W201, but I not sure. If anyone has the time to check there working radio where that 10 volts comes from I might be able to fix it.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:33 PM
tailheavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I thought I checked those solder joints a hundred times. It turns out the pad separated from the trace right at pin two. Re-flowing the solder did not help. I had to bypass the trace with a small piece of wire. Works like a champ now.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did the trace get burned out?
Did you see any trace of over current failure?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:55 PM
tailheavy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, the strange thing was when you look at the trace you can't see a break in it cause the break is right where the pad meets the trace. It's more of a hair line fracture that coincides with edge of the pad due to physical stress. I guess it would be easier to see if I removed all the solder from the pad. I think the reason why re-flowing the solder on the pad didn't work is because the break is under the surface of the epoxy top coating.

I do not think it was caused by current failure but rather a mechanical breakage. Just like the original problem everyone was having with these solder joints breaking loose but it my case after I repaired the solder joints properly some time ago the next weakest link was the pad separating from the trace. Maybe I over heated the pad on the repair??? In any case I am confident all is well now and I have no fear of it happening again.

I also added masking tape around the module to prevent it from moving around.