RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2 Crystals - one RX

Old 07-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Aeromodeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2 Crystals - one RX

I have a 9C with 2 modules..... 3 fellas at our field; we all share frequency's...................I'm thinking.... 1 RX two Crystals and one switch harness/deans connectors etc etc ............... is it even worth trying?
Just a thought...... looking for input!
Old 07-27-2003, 06:37 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do-able... but wouldn't it just be easier to swap crystals in and out as needed? adding switches and a harness add complexity to something that is already a very critical piece...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Aeromodeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True....... but,
Pain in the butt to remove RX's out of the strong box etc etc....
Old 07-31-2003, 11:18 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC car guys used to have that many years ago. Double pole double throw switch. Solder leads of one crystal to one side of switch, other crystal to opposite side and two middle poles go to the crystal socket of the receiver. About to do one of those myself on plane that is impossible to get to receiver on.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:27 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You could also pick up a Polks Seeker II 8 channel synthesized receiver ($70.00) which will work with any non-PCM FM Tx. Push a button, turn on the receiver then your transmitter and it locks your frequency. I currently have 5 of these units. I have a 9C with 4 modules and the receivers work just fine. I sold my Futaba receivers.

Just another option that can make life a little easier...

Dan
Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Aeromodeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dant,
that sounds like a really good idea.......... less to go wrong.......
Have you had any troubles in doing this????
Do you know who manufactures the Polk RX's............ do they offer a PCM RX that will work??
Thanks
Old 08-01-2003, 04:15 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Areomodeler:

So far I have had no problems whatsoever with the Polk's Receivers. I also have their Tracker II synthesized Tx which I have had no problem with. No crystals to worry about (or buy).

Based on what I know, they have been around for about 60 years as a company. I remember seeing their ads for a long time. They say they do most of their own design work and have two ex-HiTec engineers working for them. Then, according to Polks. they have everything assembled somewhere else (probably "off shore").

They do not offer any PCM receivers due to the fact that each manufacturer encodes his (or their) data differently so there is not a "universal" PCM receiver as such. At one time their Seeker II receiver had a programmable "fail safe" feature but the latest versions do no. I remember reading somewhere that they dropped it due to a lot of confusion on the part of users. There is (or was) some discussion about offering this as an "option" in the future. Don't remember all of the dialog on that. They are also supposed to be having a 4-channel mini (synthesized) released this winter (4th quarter I believe).

You might want to check out their webpage and they (Lewis) seems to be more than happy to answer any questions. I think (but I may have been having a "senior moment") that they have run some ads here on RC Online.

www.polkshobby.com

As I said, might be another option.

Dan
Old 08-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Aeromodeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Dant....
Sounds like it's worth researching................. My curiousity level is quite high............
Ever had a problem when you first turn the RX on if someone else is flying?
How does the RX know it tagged the right TX?
I'll have to visit there site......................Thanks again
Old 08-01-2003, 07:46 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, once you set your frequency in the receiver it acts just like any other receiver. In order to set the frequency you must do the following (there is an extra slot on the receiver into which you plug a push button switch). The switch is at the end of a standard 6" receiver lead with a switch instead of a connector. In order to set your frequency you first push the button then turn on the receiver. Then you turn on your transmitter with the antenna within 12" of the receiver. Your channel 1 servo will cycle until the receiver locks your transmitter frequency (2 to 3 seconds). At that point the frequency of the receiver is locked until you physically change it again. The only way to change the frequency is to use the "push the button" sequence.

In the case of the Polk's transmitter, when you first turn it on it scans to make sure the frequency you have set in your transmitter is not busy. If it is, it will not transmit a signal and tells you the frequency is busy. You can also set the transmitter to sit there and scan all of the channels 10-60 and show you which are busy. Built in scanner - works nicely too.

As I said. so far I am happy with both. The transmitter is a tad ugly but who looks at their transmitter when they are flying??

Dan