Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Ineresting that they nolonger show the TR7 Rx

I was going to buy a couple more from the other Chinese copany, but they showed out of stock. SO, like a D.S. who said I would NEVER order from HKagain, I did. This time, Iknow what I'm getting and that Imay have to take a flex shaft to the case so it will accept the Futaba plugs, and Idon't expect any customer service from them. And I'm in no hurry for the shipment.

It's kind of amazing what we will put up with for a couple bucks, including me.

Don

Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the TFR8-S from Hobby King today. Works as advertised. Allows one to put a 14 channel fasst receiver together for about $62.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 AM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

m going to order a couple of these soon. Does anyone know if these will work with the 2.4GHz futaba surface transmitters? not that i need this many channels for a surface model, but i am trying to trim all my models down to using a single receiver.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: chemie

Yes they are the same.

My question is does it work with 7C? (i.e. the Futaba R608FS and R6008HS are ''multi'' while the 6 and 7 channels are normal mode).

The review in above compared it to the R608 but in fact it does support both FS and HS speeds. In fact, in some comments on other boards, it seems the default is HS which gives rise to youtube videos of people complaining their analog servos are getting HOT. Seems FS should be default but you can set for analog or digital which is more like R6008HS. However, Futaba says R6008HS is NOT compatible with 7C.
What proof do you have that they are the same? Are you going by looks, are you going by electronic specs, or are you confirming exact part numbers of the electronics? Just because the electronics look the same does not mean they are, not all electronic componenets are made to the same standard.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Valve floater

There are two types on HK. One is a DRNG8F the other is a TFR8S s-pec. What is the diff. and which one should i order for a 10c trans.?
I will not be binding two receivers together.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM
cpeisher

If i were you i'd just go ahead and get the s-spec. you never know down the road you may need more than the stock 8 ch, especially if you have any plans on using one receiver for all your planes.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
cpeisher

ORIGINAL: cpeisher

m going to order a couple of these soon. Does anyone know if these will work with the 2.4GHz futaba surface transmitters? not that i need this many channels for a surface model, but i am trying to trim all my models down to using a single receiver.
And i guess in a possible answer to my own question, one of the reviews on HK for the s-spec says the the s-spec can be bound to the surface transmitters. Cool.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Captain Terrific
My Feedback: (2)

Are the antennae placed at 90 degrees like the Futaba receivers?

Dave
Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
meanrc

Yes they are.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
dahawk47
My Feedback: (1)

Hi ,
Probably too late to jump in on this thread but will give a go anyway.

I'm a newbie and have a 3 channel HZ Super Cub( throttle,elevator, rudder) and a  6 channel Airfield 182( throttle,elevator,rudder,ailerons,flaps,lights). Both RTF trainers came with their own cheapie tx/rx's. I have not flown either yet as I'm learning on the sim and on the glow Avistar from our club. Meanwhile, my boss, who's been at this for 50 years, gave me a new Futaba 6EX that we wasn't using.

My idea is to have one  good TX for all my planes, now and into the future. The Futaba 6EX seems like it has all of the capacity I'll ever need for the electric park flyers. The Futaba Rx's are very expensive.  Now my question: Is it as easy as buying the HK Orange Fasst compatible Rx's and replacing the existing Rx's that came with the  Super Cub and 182 or is there more involved like changing out servo's and the esc's ?  Is this a good solution?

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: dahawk47

Hi ,
Probably too late to jump in on this thread but will give a go anyway.

I'm a newbie and have a 3 channel HZ Super Cub( throttle,elevator, rudder) and a 6 channel Airfield 182( throttle,elevator,rudder,ailerons,flaps,lights). Both RTF trainers came with their own cheapie tx/rx's. I have not flown either yet as I'm learning on the sim and on the glow Avistar from our club. Meanwhile, my boss, who's been at this for 50 years, gave me a new Futaba 6EX that we wasn't using.

My idea is to have one good TX for all my planes, now and into the future. The Futaba 6EX seems like it has all of the capacity I'll ever need for the electric park flyers. The Futaba Rx's are very expensive. Now my question: Is it as easy as buying the HK Orange Fasst compatible Rx's and replacing the existing Rx's that came with the Super Cub and 182 or is there more involved like changing out servo's and the esc's ? Is this a good solution?

Thanks,

Hawk
You should be OK using the Hobby King Orange FASST compatible Rx's as long as they fit in the aircraft.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM
dahawk47

Thanks Rich,

Appreciate the advice. I'll give it a try. Will first measure the rx in the Super Cub. I think the Cessna 182 is okay.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
flashpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Well I thought the same thing and ordered about 9 of the Orange receivers. I also buy a lot of other stuff from them. this time I think I got burned. I had one in my Ugly stick [Gas powered] and I lost it on the fourth flight of the day. I could not at first come up with an answer After the crash everything appeared to be working "normally". I had really liked the Orange receivers, as they worked or appeared to work fine with my 10C using the Futaba Module. I chalked it up to "Unknown Gremlins". About a week later I was at the field with my P-47 which had another Orange receiver in it. I flew the morning and had about three good flights with it. I was packing up about non and had to turn on the receiver to cycle the gear up for break down and discovered by accident what the problem really was. I fly in the southwest which in the summer is warm. The receiver in the p-47 cut out after it was on about 20-30 seconds. I verified this at least four times more with another pilot as a witness. Once it cut out the only way to get the system to work was to shut everything off. Just turning the transmitter off and on would not get it to work, the receiver had to be turned off and then it would again fail. I have traced the problem to be a heat problem. I verified this in my shop and found that ALL of my receivers would cut off at about 130o. This was on all my 9 receivers !!!!.. It does not take much sun on your plane to get it to 130o. It is like putting the receiver on an oven. Funny that although they say their Orange receiver is not a Futaba copy it sure also duplicates the exact problem Futaba had a few years ago, isn't that a coincidence !!! I checked the Orange results against Futaba receivers and also the Corona 8 Channel sold also by Hobby King. The Corona receivers never lost lock or shut down even when the temperature was 220o. Another friend who is also an RC Pilot has checked his Orange receiver in his shop and came up with the same results. So beware, the receivers look good but looks are not everything. I guess they would be OK to fly if you live in Alaska or Siberia or someplace where it is colder. I have since removed them all from my airplanes.. As a side note i tried to put some comments such as the ones above on the Hobby King web site under reviews and or discussions about the Orange receivers. Mysteriously they always have a software problem and it will never post. I guess their negative filters is better than their receivers. Again BEWARE they are not what they appear.
Flashpilot
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

flashpilot; Thanks for the info on the heat problem. How did you apply heat so that the receiver heated up evenly?? I want to check my orange receivers and want to use your technique! Thanks. Bill
Old 07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Campgems

Flash Point, Iwonder how they would behave without the case?

Did you try posting on the FRsky site/

The timing of this is funny. I spent the last couple hours looking for the spare Wireless card for my PC. The reason was thatmy link was like a yoyo. Never did find the card, but I discovered that the filters on the fans on my PC were loaded and I vacuumed them. It bees working solid now after failing for the last two days.2.4ghz may take some more getting used to, both from the user and the designers stand point.

I'm just getting ready to put my first Orange Fasst Compatible in the air Friday. Like you, I loaded up on them. I have two of the standard and three of the S versions.

Don
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
flashpilot
My Feedback: (6)

I actually made a dummy fuse out of a card board box and used a digital thermometer. if you do it this way it will heat everything at the same time. If you just heat the case of the receiver in an open top box you will have to get the outside of the case hotter because you will be just heating the outside and it will transfer a little slower. I think that I had to get the outer case to about 190o to get the innards to 130o but once it quit it would not go back on till it reached 130o or less. Each time you heated it thereafter it would trigger off like a switch at 130o. As I said the Coronas and the Futaba"s never did go off even at a very much higher temp. I did not report it to Frisky because they supply Hobby City and I think they know all to well that they copied the Futaba, problem and all. I am still trying to figure out what to do with them. I don't think removing the case will make much difference. the inside of the fuse is like an oven when the plane is in the sun. Oh I did use a calibrated digital IR thermometer for the tests. As I said my friend independently came to the same conclusions. Anyway you can use another receiver as a bench mark Like I did. I guess I am a very affluent RC pilot as I have the luxury of have receivers for both the summer and the winter. Anyway just gently heat your receiver with a heat source like a heat gun while it is locked up to your transmitter and just watch it go from green to red and know you have saved a plane !!!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Campgems

Flashpoint, good job of pinpointing the problem. It may not be a problem for me, by the time the temps start rising at the field, the wind has chased us off on most days. It's those other days that I'll have to watch out for. I had planned to put a couple of the Orange RX's in my P-61, but that now sounds like not such a good idea with the black fuse and all.

Don

Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
dahawk47

Guys,

This is a good discussion going here and very beneficial to me. I just received my real futaba R617FS rx that I paid USD $69.00 including shipping. Of course, we all know we can get the Orange Fasst rx for $31.00 plus shipping from HK. The heat issue worries me a bit but I look at slightly differently with the HZ Super Cub. Great inexpensive trainer but 27 mHz ? Cheapie 3 Channel TX. Just want to standardize all my planes present and future to the Futaba 6EX. Now , based on what I'm hearing on the heat issue, I might be best off spending the extra cash on the real McCoy. Dang it !
Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

It only costs a little less to ge first class
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another interesting trait I discovered about this Rx recently.

When binding it to the Tx, make sure the battery that is powering the RX is fully charged.

the NiMH is used was at the botom end o fits capacity and the when I tried to bind the Rx to the Tx it would not hold the bind.

Tried a freshly charged battery and presto, not problem with the binding process at all.

My Futaba Rx's seem to be not too bothered.

What this tells me is that the brown out voltage threshold of the FrSky Futaba compatible Rx is much higher than a genuine Futaba Rx.

Just a word of cautionas I still have 6 of these and use all of them with no issues in flight.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Valve floater

Have have 2 orange receivers that have been working great for the last year since they came out. I only use them in my cheap electric planes. I just got one in and all setup well except the throttle slowly goes to full throttle. I have it set for non digital servos. I had the same setup and esc in the plane on a 72 channel receiver with no problems. It starts off slow and finally reaches full throttle after about 4 seconds. I have it set for acro and not heli. Using a 10 cap Futaba 2.4. Tried to adj. throttle curve but not much help.

Update: Tried another ESC. Fixed problem. Although my test ECS is too small to use on this plane. Gonna put the org. Castle creations 25 back on it and see if i can adj. something in the programing.Maybe throttle range. Not sure. I don`t know why anthing would change on it though. Or just order me a new one?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
frivera12

Ihave seen the orange rx's working with Futaba TX's and they have the same range as the originals..............
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Mikecam

I had the 6014hs in my plane under canopy and even though it is a RX that is not effected by temperature like the 6014fs(110f). I thought I would do a test. My EF Yak comes with a nice silver canopy cover so one 90f day I set up the thermometer and sat back. With no cover it hit 120f, covered the canopy with my silver cover and checked over an hour later and it was 88f. So the morel of the story is cover your cockpit, I do whether I run the Orange RX which I do or the Genuine Futaba brand. Take a couple of white shirts out with you. I never leave my planes in the sun, i put up my pop up tent for the planes and then sweat my b@#*s off sitting out in the sun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47498.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1736687  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
eghershey

I support Buy USA in many ways but I just can't help but go to China for the lil' orange 6 channel 2.4 receivrs. I've ordered 12 of them in the last year. From that, 2 would not bind. I tossed them. I don't fly anything of real value, mostly $100 to $200 planes, some foam some stick. I've never had a mishap due to the receivers. BTW: I fly nearly daily, retired so I've given them a good test in the real world.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: eghershey

I support Buy USA in many ways but I just can't help but go to China for the lil' orange 6 channel 2.4 receivrs. I've ordered 12 of them in the last year. From that, 2 would not bind. I tossed them. I don't fly anything of real value, mostly $100 to $200 planes, some foam some stick. I've never had a mishap due to the receivers. BTW: I fly nearly daily, retired so I've given them a good test in the real world.
I wonder if the guy standing on the pilot line with you or the kid in the park has any value to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.