Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

50mhz ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 03:13 PM
nun45
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50mhz ?

a friend of mine just got a new t6xa and i noticed it was on ch.02, is this not the the ham band?---henry
Old 04-06-2002, 03:56 PM
bpannier

Default 50mhz ?

YES it is. Channels 00 to 10 are ham and require a license, as are the 53 mhz. He can not just change a crystal to move to the 72 mhz channels 11 to 60 as it will not work,
Old 04-06-2002, 04:48 PM
rcaerobatics-RCU

Default 50mhz ?

If your friend is not a Licenced Amateur Radio Operator he need to send the radio to Futaba services for tuning it to 72Mhz.

Jay
Old 04-06-2002, 09:44 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 50mhz ?

Or return to his point of purchase for exchange if it is still in new condition.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
Old 04-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 50mhz ?

Jay, it would do no good to return the radio to Futaba for retuning to 72mhz. That is an impossible situation because these are distinctly different radio bands. Kind of like retuning a CB radio to a police radio channel.

If he flies that radio without a ham license his AMA insurance will not cover him.

Ken
K5VYL
Old 04-07-2002, 12:53 AM
rcaerobatics-RCU

Default 50mhz ?

Hi Ken

Don't know if posible or not to re-tune the radio to 72Mhz, AM-Cross can answer to this.

For AMA insurance you are right, but is still ilegal (if not a ham) because he is not authorized to use the frequency. He may be fined by the FCC.

Jay Barcelo
KP4DR
Old 04-08-2002, 11:15 AM
amcross

Default 50mhz ?

Actually we CAN retune 6X to 50MHz from 72MHz or vice versa (please see our FAQs or send an email to [email protected] with I want to change a 6X from air to surface frequency in the body of the email for extensive details.)

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 04-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 50mhz ?

"Actually we CAN retune 6X to 50MHz (please see our FAQs or send an email to [email protected] with I want to change a 6X from air to surface frequency in the body of the email for extensive details."

Mrs. AnnMarie Cross, I think you may be a little confused. Jay was talking about retuning a 6X radio on the 50Mhz band to a new frequency on the 72Mhz band. He was not talking about retuning the radio to the 50Mhz band. There was no mention of changing the radio from the air(72Mhz) to a surface(75Mhz) frequency.

Inorder to convert (so that it can be retuned) a receiver from the 50Mhz band to the 72Mhz band several "front end" radio frequency components need to be changed. Also the conversion frequency (low going high or high going low) may need to be addressed. Similar changes need to be done on the transmitter module. This would probably be a "very non-standard" service request and would probably be more expensive than buying a new receiver and transmitter module. I'm not sure if the 6X has a separate transmitter module.

If I'm wrong on this then please let me know. I'm always willing to learn.

Ken
K5VYL

By the way nun45, tell your friend that it's pretty easy to get a "HAM" license to allow him to operate legally on 50Mhz. Go to the following site for information:
http://www.arrl.org/
Old 04-08-2002, 02:44 PM
amcross

Default 50mhz ?

Ken,
Changing bands from 50 to 72, 72 to 75, etc, is an increasingly more and more common request.

To convert an RX from 50 to 72 does take significant work on a board, and hence our additional charges to do so, as does chaning from 72 to 75.

To convert a TX from 50 to 72 (or vice versa) also requires internal work, but it is something we are asked to do regularly and as such are equipped to do.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 04-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Macgyver

Default 50mhz ?

Whats the price on this job,I would like to know.Thank you-Mac
Old 04-08-2002, 05:25 PM
amcross

Default 50mhz ?

Here's some helpful data on changing systems to 75 or 50 MHz:

1) Purchasing an aircraft-style radio on 75MHz for ground use.
1a) Converting an existing system to ground.
2) Changing a modular aircraft radio to 75MHz without sending it for service.
3) Using an aircraft receiver for ground models or purchasing ground band receivers for use with #1/2 transmitters.
4) Non-modular radios from 72MHz to 75MHz.
5) Turn around time for tranmsitter/receiver band changes.
6) But can't I just use my air equipment for ground?
7) 50MHz HAM frequencies for ground and air use.
8) Re-emailing for additional live technical support.

1) Are you looking to purchase or change an aircraft radio such as the 6V, 6X, 8U, 9C, 9Z, etc to ground frequency?
The 9C is now stocked already on 75MHz: FUTJ89** (with ** being the ground frequency you desire).

1a) For all other models, please see the information listed here to assist you (the conversion of a brand new system prior to shipment will include TX and RX conversion unless you request otherwise):
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q54.html

2) For modular radios you can purchase the proper ground band module through any Hobby shop. (*see #3)

3) Please note that even if you purchase the TJ module for your 8U or 9Z, you still must send your receiver to be converted to 75mHz, or you can use a receiver already produced on 75mHz such as:
R113IP 3 CHANNEL PCM
R113F 3 CHANNEL FM
R123F 3 CHANNEL FM
R127DF 7CHANNEL FM

Having items onverted to ground: http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q54.html

4) Please note that a non-module radio, if converted from ground to air or vice versa, then must only be used on that new frequency, and can not be changed back by simply changing crystals. This is the big benefit of a module-based radio -- all tuning equipment is in the module. You can plug in an A2 module and drive a model on 27mHz; pull that module, put in a channel 01 module and you're on 50mHz; remove it and put in a channel 18 and now you're on 72mHz; and lastly (for the US) put in a 65 and you're in the 75mHz band.

5) Our in house turn around time is approximately 5-7 business days, which varies slightly with time of year, volume of work in house, etc. Note that if we have to contact you for payment or other information this delays the processing significantly.

6) NOTE that 72mhz is for aircraft use only and MUST NOT be used on ground models. 75mhz is for ground model use only and MUST NOT be used on air flight models. The use of an air system for ground models risks the safety of fellow modelers in your area.

7) LASTLY, please note that the HAM legal "6 meters" 50 mhz band is legal for both air and ground use, but only if you are a licensed HAM operator. Please visit the FCC webpages for further information.

8) DID THIS RESOLVE YOUR QUESTIONS? If so, we're thrilled to hear that our automated support was able to assist you. If not, please repy to this email BEING SURE NOT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT and to include the body of this entire email in your response. Our team will be happy to answer your email quickly and personally.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Futaba Support AUTORESPONDER
www.futaba-rc.com
Old 04-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Macgyver

Default 50mhz ?

So it costs arund 100 bucks to convert a 6xa Futaba radio from 53mhz to 72mhz.Thank you for the reply.-Mac