Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba servo Oscillates

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba servo Oscillates

I have never had this happen before. I installed a brand new Futabe 9202 servo on one of the ailerons of my Black Magic. When I input a signal to the ailerons, one servo oscilates after returning to neutral position. All other servos are OK. I use a 6 volt system no regulator, servcos are rated for 6 volt use. After a few oscilations, it stops.
Can anyone expain what is going on and should I use this servo or get it repaired or replaced. []

Tnanks.

Orlando
Old 09-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba servo Oscillates

It is searching for center. I have some Hitech servos that do that also. If you put just a mild amount of resistance on the control surface it stops imediatly. Air flow over the surface will stop it. My theory is that the servo at 6 volts is moving to fast and over shots the center with no load on it. It corrects back and again over shoots and just kind of keeps bouncing round. Stick a little clay on the surface and see if the problem goes away. Mine was a rudder. When I swapped the servo with the elevator, the problem went away. If you find it doesn't go away with a little finger pressure or a small amount of clay, you may have a slightly dirty pot in the servo. If your TX allows, you could setup you servo exersier and let it run for 10 minutes or so and see oif the problem goes away. Iwouldn't worry about it unless it decides to not stop.

Don
Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same problem. Found dirty connectors where I plug the ailerons into the fuse. Just take and connect and disconnect the connectors a few times and it would clean the contacts and problem gone.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crashlander I have never had this happen before. I installed a brand new Futabe 9202 servo on one of the ailerons of my Black Magic. When I input a signal to the ailerons, one servo oscilates after returning to neutral position. All other servos are OK. I use a 6 volt system no regulator, servcos are rated for 6 volt use. After a few oscilations, it stops. Can anyone expain what is going on and should I use this servo or get it repaired or replaced. [] Tnanks. Orlando
Common with 6v pack if straight off the charger and float has not dissipated and/or Servo may require slight break in period and settle after a few uses on 6v pack.
Suggest first check the "Y" or extension lead - swap the servos over and does samestill happen same servo?Even newleads arecan befaulty.
otherwise refer sub Section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 AM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I try them out.

Orlando
Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a common problem usually traced to a dirty connector. The servo is overshooting because there is not enough power going to the servo for it to stop. When you moved the servo and the problem went away it is more than likely that you cleaned the connertor enough by unplugging it. Next time the problem appears before doing anything else once the servo stops moving apply a little pressure to the control surface, you will find that you are able to overpower the servo. Dirty connertors increase electrical resistance, increased resitance means less power to the srevo.