RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba to JR Servo Adaptors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10135579-futaba-jr-servo-adaptors.html)

lleach1 11-14-2010 09:45 PM

Futaba to JR Servo Adaptors

Is there an adaptor to connect old type Futaba servos to JR 700 receiver? My Futaba servos have the exposed male prongs 90 degrees from the wires. I need either an adaptor to plug into the JR receiver into which I can plug the Futaba servo plug, or a servo cable with the JR plug on one end and the Futaba female receptacle on the other end. If either of these are available where might I find them ? Thanks in advance.

JoeAirPort 11-14-2010 10:08 PM

RE: Futaba to JR Servo Adaptors

If it were me I'd just either cut the old connectors off and crimp new ones on, or I'd just cut the wires and solder on new extensions. I often lengthen my servo extensions by cutting the plugs off and just soldering new extensions on so I do this all the time. It's not good practice to introduce more connectors such as adapters into the circuit. They just cause voltage drops and introduce another point of failure.

lleach1 11-14-2010 10:34 PM

Thanks Joe, sounds like a good solution. Do you know if I can change a 72.080 MHZ Futaba transmitter and receiver to a legal FM frequency by changing crystals?

carrellh 11-15-2010 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: lleach1
Do you know if I can change a 72.080 MHZ Futaba transmitter and receiver to a legal FM frequency by changing crystals?
It is against FCC rules to change crystals in RC transmitters without being able to verify that it is tuned and working correctly. Radio South http://www.radiosouthrc.com has shops in Georgia and Florida. They have the equipment and knowledge to make the change correctly, if it can be done.

Skaluf 11-15-2010 03:58 PM

Thanks Joe, sounds like a good solution. Do you know if I can change a 72.080 MHZ Futaba transmitter and receiver to a legal FM frequency by changing crystals?
It takes more than a simple xtal change to move a radio from the wide band 72.080 to a currently legal frequency. Additional components have to be added and it re-tuned to meet narrow band specifications.

The suggestion of sending the system to Radio South is a good one. They are about the only folks still doing conversions.

Steve

carrellh 11-15-2010 04:31 PM

Depending on what transmitter and receiver you have, it may not make sense to spend any money having it modified.

DGrant 11-16-2010 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Depending on what transmitter and receiver you have, it may not make sense to spend any money having it modified.
This is so true. Hard to justify "narrow banding" anything these days, when for less then $200(Spektrum DX6i $149) you can get a brand new transmitter, that comes with a fresh battery too...not to mention a factory warranty. I think the whole set(servos and all)is right at $229 if that.

I've got an older Futaba 6FG that's a great radio.. narrow band and all... but I can't even justify $40 for the required transmitter battery.... part of the reason is I now have ONE transmitter that operates everything.... and that makes it hard to upgrade something thats 20yrs old... not to mention the features on a current radio absolutely blow away anything from 20yrs ago.

Most any radio that would need narrow banding, also would need new batteries.. unless you've done that already... but with all the issues of "servo adapters" or new servo-leads..(those aren't cheap by any means either), plus the knowledge/skill to make it all work... you just might be better off(or your planes will be) by thinking about a new radio set. Just food for thought.

You might share exactly what you have radio/flight-pack wise, and where your at with it, as there's alot of experience on these boards, and I'm sure in this thread alone that would be more then happy to steer you in the right direction, and possibly SAVE you some money and trouble in the long run. :)

lleach1 11-17-2010 07:42 AM

Thanks guys for all the input. The systems are enroute to Radio South. I have three modern 2.4 gig JR systems with 6 flight packs which are my daily flyers. The old radios have a very personal and emotional importance to me so I am willing to spend the money to have these up and running in the aircraft in which they were installed 31 years ago. All the advice is sincerely appreciated. I think this venue is a tremendous asset for RC enthusiasts of all ages and skill levels. Thanks

carrellh 11-17-2010 02:44 PM

The old radios have a very personal and emotional importance to me so I am willing to spend the money to have these up and running in the aircraft in which they were installed 31 years ago.
Sometimes personal value is worth much more than money.

BuschBarber 11-17-2010 03:07 PM

I used to have a mixture of servos with Futaba J connectors and JR connectors because I had both Futaba and JR transmitters and receivers. I found it easier to buy Universal Connectors from Maxx Products (MPI). In this way, I did not have cut and splice wires. The MPI Universal Connectors have a Futaba Female connector and a JR Male connector.

pkoury 11-17-2010 07:22 PM

www.radicalrc.com sells connector kits that will enable you to cut off the old Futaba style and crimp on new JR style.

victorzamora 11-20-2010 10:04 PM

....or you could take a pocket-knife and carve off the little tab on a Futaba plug. It takes ten seconds, free, requires no extra equipment, and works just as well.

BuschBarber 11-20-2010 10:50 PM

Carving off the tab works in some instances. You also need to bevel the corners, as well, or it will fit too tightly in the JR female connector. This is especially true if you are going to use these connectors in Spektrum Rx's, which have a very tight tolerance.

fizzwater2 11-20-2010 11:32 PM

I believe he's talking about the much older Futaba servo connectors with the pale pins protruding from the body.

Newer (current) ones actually have female connectors inside the housing, even though they call it a male - they're referring to the plastic body.

You can't trim a tab and shave corners to make those old ones work - cut 'em off and put new connectors on is probably the best way.

victorzamora 11-20-2010 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I believe he's talking about the much older Futaba servo connectors with the pale pins protruding from the body.

Newer (current) ones actually have female connectors inside the housing, even though they call it a male - they're referring to the plastic body.

You can't trim a tab and shave corners to make those old ones work - cut 'em off and put new connectors on is probably the best way.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed now. I read through the whole thread except for the first post. You're absolutely right....cutting and soldering is the best way to do it, I think.

My bad, comment retracted!
<br type="_moz" />