RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Regular servo on retract channel? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10150577-regular-servo-retract-channel.html)

badger5964 11-21-2010 08:44 PM

Regular servo on retract channel?

I have a Futaba T6XAS 6 channel radio where channel five is the retract switch. I plan to use flaperons on this plane in additon to retract installation. I'm using the pneumatic Robart system. The throw on the air valve is only a 1/4". A retract servo is heavy, I have plenty of regular servos and with 180 degrees of travel on a retract servo this will make it difficult to get just a 1/4" of travel.

Can I use a regular servo on channel five?

A.T. 11-21-2010 09:14 PM

RE: Regular servo on retract channel?

ORIGINAL: badger5964 I have a Futaba T6XAS 6 channel radio where channel five is the retract switch. I plan to use flaperons on this plane in additon to retract installation. I'm using the pneumatic Robart system. The throw on the air valve is only a 1/4". A retract servo is heavy, I have plenty of regular servos and with 180 degrees of travel on a retract servo this will make it difficult to get just a 1/4" of travel.
Can I use a regular servo on channel five?
Yes, but it will still rotate the normal full throw left/right as on/off.
However, there are Hitec small/medium sizeprogrammable digital servos that could be used with exact throw programmed into the servo itself.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

JIMF14D 11-21-2010 10:04 PM

Yes, retract servos are for mechanical retract loads not throwing a little switch. Any basic servo should work.

BuschBarber 11-21-2010 10:06 PM

There are electronic retract valves that combine a solenoid valve and a circuit board. There is nothing to adjust as there is no servo involved. I have one that I used on one of my Jets. You just connect the air lines to it and plug it in to the Retract channel. I used to have it connected to my Futaba 9CAP. Channel 9 was Non-Proportional (just On/Off). Mine was from Minihobbies, but I believe there are others on the market. You could also use a Matchbox type device that allows you to set End Points, Neutral, and Servo Direction, if Ch6, on the T6XAS is Proportional. Futaba makes a Matchbox type device as well as JR.

JIMF14D 11-21-2010 10:06 PM

Why not end point adjust?

MinnFlyer 11-22-2010 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Why not end point adjust?

Exactly!

Use a standard servo to actuate the valve, and adjust the throw with the End Point Adjustment (Page 17 in Manual)

pilotpete2 11-22-2010 12:47 PM

Both suggestions are good, this is one retract setup where you can use endpoints. But I really like the suggestion for the electronic control valve for pneumatic retracts[8D]
Pete

MinnFlyer 11-22-2010 01:16 PM

Electronic Valve - $109

Standard Servo - $10

The choice is yours

pilotpete2 11-22-2010 02:46 PM

As I said, I really like the electronics vale setup, but I'm also a bit too thrrrifty to spend that much on one:);)
Yep, the servo will work fine and last a long time
Pete