RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Frsky 2.4 Gig Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10232027-frsky-2-4-gig-question.html)

RoyR 01-01-2011 11:32 AM

Frsky 2.4 Gig Question

The search feature on RCU seems to be on the fritz again, so if this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize.

I have used Futaba’s for years. Lately I have been wanting to get into 2.4Gig. I’m torn between buying a new radio, or buying the module and receivers for my 9C. I have only had it a couple of years, and I’m familiar with the programming, and like it.

I just bought a Frsky 8 channel 2.4 gig module/receiver combo and an extra 4 channel receiver for my Futaba 9C at a price cheaper than either a Futaba Module, or receiver by themselves. I am going to put it in an Ultra Sport I am building.

I have 5 flying airplanes, including one 4 ch foamy.
I can buy the module and a receiver for each of those airplanes for a total of around $130.
To buy the same setup with Futaba, (8 ch module and 4 8 ch receivers plus one 4 ch receiver) would cost $724. If I dropped down to 7 channels it’s still $555. Gosh the new Futaba 8FG with one receiver is cheaper than that.

I haven’t read anything bad yet about the Frsky, so what’s the down side?
Anyone have any experience with them? Or know a reason I should NOT convert my whole fleet to the Frsky 2.4G?

Thanks
Roy

Roo Man 01-02-2011 01:04 PM

RE: Frsky 2.4 Gig Question

I have the standard 8 channel transmitter conversion to 2.4 for Futaba transmitters. I did alot of research [check RC Reviews website] and could not find any complaints. I have had mine for about 1 month and have installed in 3 of my planes. It binds very easily and very quickly. Range checks with low power setting which is very easy to use. Have flown 2 of the 3 planes that I have it on and they all flew very well. Mine runs in PPM mode only and for my kind of flying it is not a problem. It does have a failsafe that is also easy to set up.

Based on my experience and the huge cost advantage over other systems I recommend it.

Gary

nute12 01-02-2011 03:28 PM

I just ordered the same module. As Roo Man did, I heard about it and started pokin around the net. Found overwhelming positive comments and only a few bad ones. I still love my old 9c and dont want to retire it or the plethora of 72 mghtz rx i have.
I just ordered the 8channel Module and rx package and 2 more 8 channel rx's for it from hk for 80 bucks. Dont think a guy can break into 2.4 any cheaper for a plane that needs more than 4 channels.
I want to be clear, i have not recieved mine yet i just researched what people had to say. If it lives anywhere near up to what i am seeing written about it then it is going to be a good setup.

RoyR 01-02-2011 04:39 PM

Well this sounds good so far. Maybe I better buy a bunch of receivers before they decide to raise the price.

karolh 01-07-2011 02:33 PM

I too did quite a bit of research on Futaba compatible modules and based on the excellent comments and reviews I read on it, I recently switched my 8UAF Tx to 2.4 Ghz with a FrSky module, including two 8 ch Rx for my gas models, all from Hobbyking. So far I am quite impressed with the performance which has been rock solid. The units from all indications seem to be very well built, are quite robust and I like the features offered, such as low power range checking and fail safe on all channels, plus the ease of installation and super fast binding.

Karol

beto9 01-08-2011 06:34 AM

Find a review here.
http://rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_compatible_review.shtml

RoyR 01-09-2011 10:31 AM

removed duplicate

davei 01-11-2011 02:48 PM

I have a Futaba 9c with Assan 2.4 conversion; a 9303 with Assan; and another 9303 with the FrSky conversion. I'm flying a qtr scale FW 56 with 50cc; a Edge with DA50, several slimers, and numerous indoor planes. I've had great results with all of them. All my new rcvrs will be FrSky: Costs less; fail safe; great range; accepts wide voltage range. I love the features of high end xmtrs; and at a fraction of the cost of new 2.4 equipment. You can buy a used 9303 around $200- $250 and add a FrSky module and rcvr for about $35.
Dave I

RoyR 01-11-2011 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: beto9

Find a review here.
http://rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_compatible_review.shtml
Am I to understand someone can get the Frsky receiver and it will work with a standard Futaba FAAST transmitter?

Dave McDonald 01-11-2011 04:02 PM

Not all FrSky 2.4 receivers are FASST compatible, but FrSky does make an 8 channel 2.4 receiver that works fine with Futaba FASST transmitters. I've now got four of them, and they have been working perfectly with my 12FG FASST.

There is more info about these receivers in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9925936/tm.htm

RoyR 01-11-2011 04:27 PM

Thanks, I think I have it sorted out now. Before discovering Frsky, I was thinking of buying a Futaba 8FGA, and worried not only with the price of the radio, but the extra receivers I would have to buy.
However for now I think I will stick with my 9C and just buy the Frsky receivers for all my planes.

Incidentally I have used my Frsky conversion once. We had a big snow and I couldn't resist taking out my foam Seawind EP. I had flown it off snow before, but for some reason this time I got it too far away and it's white and snow is white and the sky was white, and you get the picture. The problem with the Frsky is it did everything I told it to do from the transmitter. I got disoriented and found out that even though snow is soft, the ground a foot below is still as hard as ever.

karolh 01-11-2011 05:03 PM

Maybe that's why it's called 'terra firma' :)

Karol

nute12 01-11-2011 05:15 PM

sorry to hear ya wrecked the plane.... but it does sound pretty funny the way you explained it.

RoyR 01-12-2011 07:05 AM

I guess I looked pretty funny too. For the first time in a long time I just lost its reference because I let it get too far away and was trying to trim it in a turn.
I would try to turn it left and it would go right. So I thought I rolled it but kept getting the same response. This went on for some time and finally i pulled up and it went down.

I just couldn't get my mind to work with me. Sort of like when you are sleeping in a strange place and wake up at night and can't figure out where you are. Then you walk into a wall, and suddenly you remember.
In this case my plane was in pieces before I figured it out.

I've been RCing for over 40 years, so I've lost a few in that time. It's still upsetting, but I don't cry every time I crash now. At least not when someone can see me.

nute12 01-15-2011 04:33 PM

recieved my FRsky today and installed a rx in a foamy. works excellent. Did some experimenting with the other 2 rx's and will bind simultaneously. Put the last rx in the ulti. if it works out in the ultimate i just might put em in the big one. Engine running on the ulti the range check went far enuff i just turned around and walked back, seems to have a great link. all servos are smooth thru the whole range.

BuschBarber 01-15-2011 05:14 PM

On more expensive models, some of my more anal friends do Range Checks both With and Without the engine running and also while rotating the model 360 deg, at 45deg increments.

modeltronics 01-15-2011 05:20 PM

I used the FRsky DIY module to do this conversion of a Kraft Spectrum 6 in this thread :
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10072737/tm.htm

I am waiting to receive another to do a conversion on an Airtronics RD6000.

Pete

nute12 02-11-2011 06:54 AM

I put the frsky rx's in my extra and see a slight stepping motion on the faster servos, not bad but it is there. these are hi speed hi torque digis (180 oz in, .13 sec at 6v) this is on a 9c wich is known to be a slower unit anyhow. There is no noticable stepping with the 72mghtz 149 pcm recievers. I think that this caused from switching from pcm to ppm tested the it with a 127 ppm rx and the same stepping is apparent.

dtm360 02-13-2011 08:51 AM

The biggest problem with the Frsky?? the upper and lower halves of the Receiver cases are only snap fit. I've had one pop off in flight, found the top of the case inside the plane. I now run a drop of CA on the case before I install it.

I have over 10 Frsky RX... I lost count because they are so cheap! Ended up removing my Spektrum RX from my planes and selling them off...... to buy even more Frsky RX. As far as the 2.4G link, after countless number of flights I have encountered absolutely NO problems!

karolh 02-13-2011 09:24 AM

Just in case that you might want to open the case sometime in the future better to just tape both pieces of the case together.

Karol

RoyR 02-13-2011 09:34 AM

I have a question I haven't seen addressed yet. The Frsky is the first 2.4 Gig I have used. How is the transmitter antenna supposed to be oriented? Straight up? or 90º?
With the module in place, the handle on my Futabe 9c prevents me from readjusting the antenna. It either has to point straight up, or straight out the back, and I have to remove the module to make those change.
Also the metal handle on the transmitter is very close, or touching the module antenna. Is this a problem? will the handle cause any interference?

Thanks

nute12 02-13-2011 09:40 AM

i pointed mine up went inside the bar, protects the ant. when you set the radio down also

TimBle 02-13-2011 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: nute12

I put the frsky rx's in my extra and see a slight stepping motion on the faster servos, not bad but it is there. these are hi speed hi torque digis (180 oz in, .13 sec at 6v) this is on a 9c wich is known to be a slower unit anyhow. There is no noticable stepping with the 72mghtz 149 pcm recievers. I think that this caused from switching from pcm to ppm tested the it with a 127 ppm rx and the same stepping is apparent.
Check that your Rx is in High speed mode as well.

nute12 02-13-2011 10:28 AM

how do i get high speed mode? i remember seeing it in a post somewhere but cant remember what it said or how to set it. I see nothing in the instructions about hi speed mode setting.
thanx,
John

TimBle 02-13-2011 11:36 AM

If we are taliking about the Fr-SKY TFR-8 then to set the mode to HS (high speed) or Normal (FS) youneed to power up the Rx but leave the Tx OFF.
Hold down the bind button for 6 seconds and release. The LED's should flash more quickly (When you powered u the Rx with the Tx OFF the LEDs should be flashing slowly)

Kevin R 04-27-2013 03:31 AM

I have been using the FrSky equipment for the past 18 months in various type models including large seaplanes, 4m. gliders, glider tugs, and 1/4 scale warbirds. I have never had any kind of glitch, even in gliders at my visual limit.
One big plus with this gear is that I can instal 2 receivers in parallel (with controls crossed for safety) on my larger models, which can't be done in the more expensive setups, so I now use FrSky exclusively on all of my models (total of 25 receivers on 3 tx's) with total confidence.

sidgates 04-27-2013 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: RoyR

I have a question I haven't seen addressed yet. The Frsky is the first 2.4 Gig I have used. How is the transmitter antenna supposed to be oriented? Straight up? or 90º?
With the module in place, the handle on my Futabe 9c prevents me from readjusting the antenna. It either has to point straight up, or straight out the back, and I have to remove the module to make those change.
Also the metal handle on the transmitter is very close, or touching the module antenna. Is this a problem? will the handle cause any interference?

Thanks

RoyR - Be aware that the weakest field strenght of any whip antenna is straight off the tip of the antenna. So it is preferred to NOT point the end of the Tx antenna at the model. 2.4 GIG signal is more directional than we are used to on 72MHZ and can be blocked by metal objects, carbon objects and water (liquid) that are in line of site with the model so I wouldn't place the antenna too close to the metal handle.