RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   JR reciever (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10269882-jr-reciever.html)

Hothead 01-17-2011 11:24 AM

JR reciever

I just getting back into hobby after 10 years. went to hobby store to buy a JR 649 reciever in PCM .he told me they are no longer made, Said I would be better off with new 2.4 radio. Maybe the guy is right. But I need a few back up opinions. The Transmitters I have are JR 783 and 8103. these are good radios. my mistake was never having bought extra recievers.
My question is are there any recievers made that will work with these transmitters or am I better off buying a new radio and if so which one?
Thanks for any feedback

MinnFlyer 01-17-2011 11:40 AM

RE: JR reciever

Jr Still makes a few 72MHz receivers. If your LHS doesn't carry them, you can get them through Horizon:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRPR700**

BuschBarber 01-17-2011 01:21 PM

You can try Ebay, as well. I have XP9303's and an XP8103, several PCM 649's and PPM 549s and a couple of Synthesized R2000's ( these will change to whatever 72Mhz channel my Synthesized 72Mhz RF Module is set to just by turning on the Tx and pressing a button on the Rx).

rcairflr 01-17-2011 03:17 PM

You can also check the want ads here on RCU. Sometimes you come across 72Mhz receivers New in the Box.

I believe JR has discontinued all 72Mhz receivers and are no longer making them.

AlW 01-17-2011 09:20 PM

Hothead,
Sent you a PM.
Al Watson

tadawson 01-17-2011 10:01 PM

I believe JR has discontinued all 72Mhz receivers and are no longer making them.
More likely Horizon has discontinued import of 72Mhz receivers. I don't see JR making that mistake at this time, considering that you can buy pretty much any JR system anywhere *BUT* in the US that takes modules, and thus can run 72/35/50/whatever . . .

- Tim

Indy Park Flyer 01-18-2011 05:39 AM

Hothead,
There are modules that you can buy that will convert your 8103 to 2.4ghz at less cost than buying a new radio. JR makes one under the Spectrum brand, and there are others from companies like Corona and Frsky that you might also want to check out. Most of these modules come with a receiver so that also helps. Hobby King has all of these options on their web site, but there are other places on the internet you can look as well.
Indy Park Flyer

BuschBarber 01-18-2011 06:00 AM

I am currently using the Spektrum 2.4 Module with my XP9303, but I have also used it with my XP8103 for a couple of years. You do not have use of the Model Match feature that you get with the X9303 or the Spektrum radios, but I think you can purchase it, now, for $109, with a 2.4 Rx. It works great.

flycatch 01-20-2011 10:30 AM

I'll start to say that 2.4 ghz is here to stay and 72mhz is phasing out. With that said consider the benifit of staying on 72 mhz. No more waiting for your frequency to become available unless you are completely synthezied. I fly JR 72 mhz and have never experienced interference using there top of the line transmitters and receivers. RC electronics are like anything else you buy;good, better and best. You buy low end and expect the same performance. The JR649 receiver is crystal controlled and with age the crystal deterrioates and goes off center frequency. I would invest in buying a synthezied TX module and synthezied JR2000 receivers. The module can be purchased from EBay for less than $30 dollars and the going rate for the JR2000 receiver is between $45 to $75 used/NIB.

fizzwater2 01-20-2011 11:25 AM

Don't forget - synthesizers are "crystal controlled" too. They just use a single reference frequency oscillator, usually much lower than the 72 MHz, where the crystal is physically more robust, etc.

BuschBarber 01-20-2011 11:27 AM

There is a flood of 72Mhz radios, on the market, at very cheap prices. As has been said before, people who run Boats or Cars and Park Flyer types are buying up these cheap, higher end radios and not worrying about Frequency Control. You may or may not get bitten as a result of this problem, but the risk is much higher, now.

mccrind 01-24-2011 10:37 PM

+1 for the 2.4 conversion. I converted my 9303 and it came with a reciever for about $20 more than a bare rx! Your 8103 is a good radio, I ran one for 5 years, very capable and easy to use. I'm waiting for the telemetry to be mainstream in the larger JR radio's, not just the DX 8. FYI...Don't get the early conversion, the wire sticks straight out the back and it sucks. Mine is very sleek at the back of the radio, still fits the case.

BuschBarber 01-25-2011 03:34 AM

I recently bought the Conversion Case, for my DM9, that has the Built In Antenna, and eliminates the need for the Coax cable running from the Module to the Antenna. Shortly after that, I find out you can get it Free, from Horizon.

Is that what you are referring to?

It was a pain to snap the Internal Antenna wire onto the circuit board. It was not even close to connecting as easily as the one I was replacing. I had to massage the connector, with an Xacto Knife tip to get it to snap on. Several other of my fellow club members had the same problem.

Works fine with no Coax to accidentally snag.

lrb75 01-25-2011 07:07 PM

You can get a Spektrum conversion module for your 8103 with a 7ch or a 9ch receiver. You can get a Hobbico FASST module to convert it to Futaba 2.4 and in a little while you will be able to get the Hitec 2.4 module. The spetrum is cheapest at $109 with the 7ch receiver. The hobbico is $189 for just the module. Horizon still has the R649 for $169. You can find a bunch of 9 and 10 channel JR PCM receivers on sale right here on RCU at around $50 a piece.