RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Mpi Servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/103433-mpi-servos.html)

PHILLCO 04-12-2002 09:35 AM

Mpi Servos

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MPI SERVOS. I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR A WHILE AND HAVE HAD GOOD SERVISE.
I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE CHEAPLY MADE AND WAS PUSHING MY LUCK USING THEM IN ANYTHING LESS THEN SMALL PLANES. ANY FEEDBACK??

PHILLCO

Bob Pastorello 04-12-2002 10:37 AM

Servos OK

I have been using a couple of their MX 870 coreless without any problems for a while....and my new GP Pitts is all MPI servos...I have taken some apart, and critically inspected the quality of construction, gears, etc. Looks pretty good...probably at LEAST on a par with Hitec, IMHO. They are NOT JR or Futaba quality, but they cost about 30% less, too.

Macgyver 04-12-2002 02:11 PM

MPI servos

This is from the horses mouth,MPI servos are GWS,Grand Wing Servos.If you buy them at Balsa products I belive they are cheaper.Take care-Mac

Flatspin-RCU 04-13-2002 04:20 AM

MPI

I bought 5 mpi servos at Toledo and am not happy at all with them..I installed 3 MX460mg ...two in elevator one on rudder...two MX460 plain gear in aielrons....soon as I turned on the radio (in basement, motor not running) they twitched and glitched all over...tried brand new Hitec rx...same, turned out the florecent lights as someone recommended...same took the servos right out of the plane and hooked them up to rx on the bench...they didn't glitch as bad but when moveing them slowly back and forth they would not hold a steady position...pluged them in one at a time thinking maybe one is bad causing the others to jump but the same ....I hooked up a hited 605, a cirrus standard servo and a couple hs81's to the plane and no glitching..I spent 165.00 for these servos and now I dont know what to do with them ...buy the way I didnt buy them from MPI, I bought them from a guy at the swap shop upstairs at Toledo...but they were new in the package.

Ron :confused:

Flatspin-RCU 04-13-2002 01:49 PM

MPI's

Well here's an update...this was really bugging me so today I went down in basement and tried using a Hitec Focus tx on ch35..used the same rx but changed xtal to 35...guess what? no glitching,,seemed pretty solid...walked around the basement...sooo I'm thinking the Futaba 8u tx must have something to do with the compatability of the servos...so just for the heck of it I switced back to the Futaba expecting the servos to go nuts again...bbuuuttt they were suddenly working just as good as the Hitec tx. Now I'm really confused,,, maybe I'll just use these on rudder only...different planes. I dont trust them enough to use them on a really valuable plane. Guess I'll go back to Hitec 605's and 615's.

Ron :confused:

Scotty740 04-13-2002 02:13 PM

Mpi Servos

I'm just curious, was your first check the other day on a freshly charged battery? If so maybe the high voltage was causing them problems until the battery had a chance to stabilize and drop to a nice steady voltage.

Bob Pastorello 04-13-2002 03:07 PM

Flatspin

My experience with MPI servos has been fine, so far. Yesterday flew the new GP Pitts, with 460's (not MG) and 870's all around...ROCK solid, everywhere....I think I'm the guy that learned the fluorescent lights thing. Having said that - if they are solid with your Hitec, I'd take that to indicate there MAY be a tx/rx compatibility issue. It's scary to have this stuff happen, but don't we want it to happen at home on the bench??? <G>

Cley 04-13-2002 03:22 PM

SERVOS

Just for the record, It has been my experience that Hitec makes the absolute best Giant Scale servos available..
Much better than JR or Futaba..
And they have better prices on top of it...
I have a friend that has been using MPI servos for 2 years with good results...

Johnny_Rebel 04-13-2002 08:19 PM

Mpi Servos

Cley,
Specifically what makes them better than JR or Futaba? I'm just curious

Bob Pastorello 04-13-2002 08:41 PM

Accuracy or Hitec???

My experience - having used MANY Hitecs (not digitals, though) and JR's, Futaba's, Airtronics, Cirrus, MPI, and others is simply that they have great gear trains, tight, and run well...but their electronics are not very accurate for centering. If you have a chance, test a STANDARD JR (507, 517, etc.) or a Futaba equiv. against ANY Hitec on a protractor arm test stand. You'll see about "return to center" accuracy. Servos that don't center reliably, consistently, and accurately may explain the plane that "just never would trim out right".... I am NOT brand bashing, or promoting,...just offering some insights from my own tests and experience. BTW - So far, the MPX 460's seem to center slightly BETTER than Hitec's, but significantly less than JR equivalents. Caveat Emptor!!

Flatspin-RCU 04-14-2002 03:11 AM

Mpi's

I don't know what to tell ya guys...when there is so many inconsistancys its hard to put your thumb on a specific problem..I'm going to put the servos back in the plane and start over when I get time...I'll let ya know when and if I find out anything. Had fun today flying my Lanier Cap232 ARF 80' with a 3.2 Brison . The field was so soggy from rain yestgerday that on the second flight when landing the wheel sunk into the mud and applied unexpected brakes resulting in a flip over but didnt hurt anything....does great waterfalls and hovers at less than 1/2 gas stick... later

Ron