RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   6exa (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1050622-6exa.html)

CRAZYRYAN 08-13-2003 02:53 AM

6exa

how do ya'll like them new futaba 6exa computor radio systems I recieved mine and love it. Tell me about yours

zero244 08-14-2003 02:09 AM

Glad you like the new system

I was all set to order one myself.........I was looking for an easy to program.....inexpensive system. Then someone posted a problem with the mixing feature for V-Tails. Apparently Futaba confirmed this problem. So I have held off buying this system.

I may wait until they fix the problem.....or I may wait till Futaba releases a new system to replace the 9c.

You can beat the price of the New 6exa for sure. If you don't need elevons....it shouldn't be a problem.

Dsegal 08-14-2003 02:19 AM

6exa

> Then someone posted a problem with the mixing feature for V-Tails. <

The problem is not with v-tails, but with elevons. Otherwise, the radio is far easier to program than other Futaba radios.

Dave Segal

Bax 08-14-2003 01:29 PM

6exa

Actually, there never was a problem with the transmitter, it turned out to be a mistake in the instruction book. We've posted a correction in the 6EXA FAQs.

When you get the servos plugged into the correct channels, all of the mixers work like a charm!

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-6exa.html

CRAZYRYAN 08-14-2003 02:58 PM

6exa

well my mixings seems to work fine I didn't see any error unless I bought it after they fixed it.

Borzak 08-14-2003 05:36 PM

6exa

I like mine ok, my instructor hates the crap out of it for putting the engine kill switch on the trainer switch tho.

Your guaranteed to kill the engine at least twice per session on the buddy box if he switches over control to you to see if the buddy box is trimmed out the same way......

Bax 08-14-2003 07:02 PM

6exa

The "Throttle Cut" feature of the 6EXA operates if you quickly "blip" the trainer switch twice in succession. To transfer control to the student transmitter, you hold the trainer switch. Control passes to the student transmitter after about one second.

If you activate the trainer switch, hold it for a few seconds before you release it, you won't activate the "Throttle Cut" funciton.

CRAZYRYAN 08-14-2003 07:09 PM

6exa

I wonder how i can get the airleron mixing contral to work so I can both have the rudder working with the airlerons

Borzak 08-14-2003 11:37 PM

6exa

Originally posted by Bax
The "Throttle Cut" feature of the 6EXA operates if you quickly "blip" the trainer switch twice in succession. To transfer control to the student transmitter, you hold the trainer switch. Control passes to the student transmitter after about one second.

If you activate the trainer switch, hold it for a few seconds before you release it, you won't activate the "Throttle Cut" funciton.

It' still a dumb thing to put on the trainer switch. Why not put a button for the throttle cut.

There's 4 of them at our field and the same complaint is - when hooking up the buddy box and checking trims you'll kill it at at least once a session if not more.

It's one of those great ideas on paper that turns out not to work worth a *$&(#* in the field.

Remember the person who owns the 6EXA and knows about the throttle cut etc.. will be on the buddy box - more likely the person who is holding the 6EXA as an instructor doesn't own one themself - IE is not used to having the trainer switch as the kill switch.

If I could disable mine I would.

CRAZYRYAN 08-15-2003 01:08 AM

6exa

well since I'm an intermediate I do not have to worry.

Dsegal 08-15-2003 04:16 PM

6exa

> Your guaranteed to kill the engine at least twice per session on the buddy box <

But the engine will not be killed unless the throttle is off entirely or within 2 clicks of off. I don't understand why the throttle would be pushed all the way down while flying a student's plane. Logically, though, it would be nicer to have a separate switch.

Dave Segal

Borzak 08-15-2003 04:40 PM

6exa

Originally posted by Dsegal
> Your guaranteed to kill the engine at least twice per session on the buddy box <

But the engine will not be killed unless the throttle is off entirely or within 2 clicks of off. I don't understand why the throttle would be pushed all the way down while flying a student's plane. Logically, though, it would be nicer to have a separate switch.

Dave Segal

Did you read my statement at all? I'm talking about checking trims and idle adjustments between the 2 boxes while the plane is not moving prior to taxi.

You can check trims before starting, but to check the idle is set between the two the best idea is to have the engine running.

SUPPOSIDLY the 6EXA will not kill an engine if the trainer switch is flicked twice if the engine is not at idle. I say supposidly because this is not the case.

We have 4 of them at the field where I fly and out of 4 only one persons will 100% not kill it if it's above idle. Mine will sometimes and sometimes it won't. Two others will kill it 100% of the time no matter where the throttle is lcoated. Both of these radios were taken out of "instruction use" and the student borrowed another radio to use as master till he's off the buddy box - because flicking the switch twice by accident would kill the engine in the air at all times - no matter where the throttle was located.

Personally I think it's a software glitch somewhere but who knows.

I thought about sending my radio back to be checked but because it only does it about 50% of the time I'm sure they couldn't reproduce it. Plus after the first and only experience I had when I first got the radio they advertised at the time as PCM capable (it's not) and I called and told them (after I posted here) they basically said "oh well" so they changed the ad but were like well sucks to be you. So I just blew off the whole service thing.

Dsegal 08-15-2003 07:58 PM

6exa

> I'm talking about checking trims and idle adjustments between the 2 boxes while the plane is not moving prior to taxi. <

I failed to understand that.

Dave Segal