RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Already been Crashed Servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1055053-already-been-crashed-servos.html)

Combat Addict 08-14-2003 02:22 PM

Already been Crashed Servos

I have about 5 servos from a crash. Are they OK to use?

So that you know. The crash was a SPAD that hit a tree a full power. The servos look fine and work fine. One had case damage and another had its gears stripped but other than that they work fine. Is it OK to use these?

I also have 3 other servos that were in a crash. These were in a combat plane and are fine. They were siliconed to the foam wing.

All of the servos were the the Tower Hobbies TS-53. These are the same as the Futaba 3003.

Crashem 08-14-2003 04:26 PM

If they work they will probably be fine.

But nobody here is going to be able to give you a 100% answer

Your choices are:

1. Send them in for repair
2. Test them on your bench and hope for the best.
3. Don't use them or use them on non-critical applications (i.e. Flaps and throtle)

JohnW 08-14-2003 05:10 PM

I agree with Chrashem, it is really hard to tell if they suffered damaged without testing. Even then, certain types of damage can go undetected by bench testing or even vendor testing.

If they do work on the bench, they are probably OK, but that servo is only $10. If it were me I'd replace with new the servos that are on critical surfaces such as elevator and ailerons.

Combat Addict 08-14-2003 07:48 PM

OK, so I use them on not critical control surfaces. What can I do with the rest of them? Is it worth it to try and sell them?

FLYBOY 08-14-2003 07:55 PM

Don't sell them to some unsuspecting person without telling them that you crashed them. I would change the gears in the bad one, the case on the other, test them and make sure they work propperly. If they are not chattering and are working propperly, use them. If they show a problem, don't use them or send them in. I have fixed crashed servos many many times and used them with no worries. If you don't know, get with a club member who does and have him help you. You don't need to trash them every time you crash. They are easy to fix and make sure they work right.

Combat Addict 08-15-2003 01:34 AM

I would never sell a crashed servo to a unsuspecting person. I would be sure to tell them.

So you say to take it apart, look at the gears and the board. If they look OK and it works fine fly with it.

FLYBOY 08-15-2003 01:17 PM

I tent to check the gears out, and replace them if need be. If the board it cracked, I decide if it is worth sending in. If the case is cracked, I replace it. If the servo works well, bounce it around and see if vibration affects it. If it doesn't, fly it. If you don't fully trust it, fly it on something like the rudder or one aileron where you are using 2 servos. If it fails, you have a backup. Just have to fly more carefully and use rudder. Never had a problem. If they are cheap servos and you don't trust it, save it for parts.