RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   500 Dollars how to pick a radio (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10690603-500-dollars-how-pick-radio.html)

rayzer 13 08-28-2011 10:11 AM

500 Dollars how to pick a radio

Well I've managed to sneek a bit over 500 bucks to spend on my little addiction, just 2 years ago I went and got a new Futaba 7Cap then I learned that it dont have enought programing fetures to allow 4 servos in the wing to do 3 things 1 all 4 acting as a strip aleron, 2. crow and 3 flaps,,, so its back to buying another radio -Hitec Futaba JR ?????? or say the heck with it and buy a bunch of engines covering glue and start back building agian ??

Capt Cash 08-28-2011 10:50 AM

RE: 500 Dollars how to pick a radio

I bought the Futaba 7C 2.4 as my first radio too. Have now moved upto the Futaba 10CAG 2.4 and couldn't be happier. I think I got it new off ebay for $550 shipped. You also get a $200 14-ch rx with it even though the 8 or 7 ch ones still work for most needs.

BuschBarber 08-28-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rayzer 13

Well I've managed to sneek a bit over 500 bucks to spend on my little addiction, just 2 years ago I went and got a new Futaba 7Cap then I learned that it dont have enought programing fetures to allow 4 servos in the wing to do 3 things 1 all 4 acting as a strip aleron, 2. crow and 3 flaps,,, so its back to buying another radio -Hitec Futaba JR ?????? or say the heck with it and buy a bunch of engines covering glue and start back building agian ??
Unless you visit an RC Trade Show or go to a local Flying Field, it is unlikely you will ever know if the Tx you intend to buy has all the programming you need now or in the future. The literature and manuals tell you how to input data into the parameter fields, but they do not cover all the possible scenarios you may encounter. If you knew you had specific needs, ahead of time, you should have called the manufacturer's tech support and asked.

I am not blaming you for not buying enough radio for your needs. Many of us have run into the same problem.

Most transmitters have a number of Canned Programs, such as Flapperons, Elevons, Elevator to Flap, Aileron to Rudder, etc.. They also have one or more Programmable Mixers (PM). The PM's fill in the gaps but rely upon your imagination to solve your problem. Some PM's get you where you want to go and others fall short.

The higher end the transmitter, the more Canned Programs and the more parameters in the PM's.

rmh 08-28-2011 11:07 AM

What planes are you really going to fly
THAT should be your first question.
All the 2.4 stuf mentioned works well -setup properly.
The business of CROW FLAP AILERON suggests you are a glider flyer
NO?
then don't worry bout radios with the side mounted levers (bat wings)
Do you want to fly bind n fly?
better get a Bind n Fly radio- get the Spektrum equipped one.
If you are just hoping to get one that does everything - well guess again-
will you need lots of rx in various sizes

It's like cutting wood - measure twice -cut once.

forrest gump 08-28-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rayzer 13

For what its worth..heres my view.I have both a 12fg and an 8fg and highly recommend the 8fg as a very powerfull,good quality radio for a bargain price.Here in the uk its £100 cheaper than a 10c and for the uninitiated...its more powerfull too....I would buy one of these as its software upgradeable unlike the 10c and future proof.It will soon be able to talk to fhss rx ,a futaba budget range and at present you can get the frsky tfr6 Fasst compatable(a 7 channel rx with full failsafe and well made) for $22.14 from Hobby king.

Hope this helps your decision...FG

blvdbuzzard 08-28-2011 08:20 PM

Have you looked at the Airtronics 10g? You did not say what you were looking for in a radio? Fixed wing, helicopters, sail planes or all of the above.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-sx-sd10g.html

There is a good thread here on RCU about it.

Buzz.

baronbrian 08-29-2011 02:29 PM

the JR 9503 fits your needs and is a very nice radio at $550. It has sailplane-specific software and "quad flaps" as an option. 50 model memory and bind n' fly. (just came in from flying my micro beast in the front yard, too much fun!)

Grooverc 11-08-2011 11:44 PM

Yesterday I saw a WFT09SII at a website www.wfly-usa.com, it has 4096 resolution and 85 momery storage. And the price is below US$300. You may have a try new one.</p>

RogerParrett 11-09-2011 07:10 AM

Hi Rayzer,

Crow? Strip Ailerons? Sounds like you are flying sailplanes.

If that's the case - for the money you really can't beat picking up a Futaba 9CAPS (used) and getting a 2.4 module, OR a JR 9303/9503 radio.

I fly Futaba, but I know Level V LSF pilots who use the above mentioned JR's on sailplanes that I will never be able to afford. And if you get a JR, get a copy of Radio Carbon Art's (google it) DVD "Radio Basics"... the author shows how to setup everything from an RE to a full-house sailplane - using a JR9303.

Using a Futaba 9CAPS - setting the model type to GLID2FLAP-C (a four-servo wing with conditions) will give you everything you mentioned, including support for Flap->Elevator curves, four conditions (flight modes), etc. And the price is definately right.

Hope this helps... Roger

jmdairplane 10-31-2012 11:16 PM

i also have  a futaba 10cag 2.4 love this radio ran out of memory so bought the 8fg super should hold me for a long time.

Pippin 10-31-2012 11:59 PM

How many receivers do you have and do you really want to stick with Futaba?

bigedmustafa 11-02-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

the JR 9503 fits your needs and is a very nice radio at $550. It has sailplane-specific software and ''quad flaps'' as an option. 50 model memory and bind n' fly. (just came in from flying my micro beast in the front yard, too much fun!)
At $549.99, the JR 9503 is a really good value for the money. All of the radios currently offered in the $350 to $650 price range are really pretty top notch across the board:

Hitec Aurora 9
Futaba 8FG Super
JR 9503 DSMX
Airtronics SD-10g
JR XG8
Spektrum DX8

I'd be happy to fly with any of these radio systems. Each of them offers a huge array of mixing and programming features, excellent ergonomics, and great customer support. Of the radios I just listed, I happen to own the Airtronics SD-10g, and I wouldn't trade it for a different radio worth twice its price.

SeaJay 11-02-2012 08:01 PM

+1 on the Airtronics SD10G, it is able to do what you want, for a bit less than $500.

Craig.

BubbasanJohn 11-12-2012 07:59 AM

Futaba 10CAG gets my vote. I'd just wait a bit longer and skim some more $$ off the pot or look for a good deal on the
Marketplace or fleabay.