RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   SHARE YOUR FrSky 2.4GHz EXPERIENCE !!! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10695046-share-your-frsky-2-4ghz-experience.html)

Gyroguru 08-31-2011 07:44 AM

SHARE YOUR FrSky 2.4GHz EXPERIENCE !!!

1 Attachment(s)
Today, I flew my ElectriFly FlyLite EP ARF (Indoor/outdoor) with my JR XP7202 converted to 2.4G with FrSky V8HT 2.4Ghz DIY Module and a V8R4 short range Rx (500m range). I flew the plane in my neighborhood and everything seems to work just fine. This is a hell of deal for $15 Tx Module and $15 Rx!

The main reason I bought FrSky is because it is a FHSS system vs. Corona and others which are DSSS from Hobby King. I can not believe how fast it binds. My impressions of FrSky is that a Chinese Manufacturer has finally made a very good viable 2.4GHz system. They have also managed to break the code and reverse engineer the so called sophisticated Futaba FAAST system and now making clone Rx’s at a fraction of the cost of Futaba. I suspect we will see more clones coming from FrSky for Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics as the conversion market dries up.

I also bought the Extended range (1.5km-2.5km) V8FR 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver which I am planning to put in my 40 size plane. At this time, I am little reluctant to put in my bigger plane.

I am wondering what kind of experience people have had with FrSky products?

How does it compare to the big boys such as Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics which are all FHSS ?

Any issues at crowded field?

Thanks

karolh 08-31-2011 08:13 AM

RE: SHARE YOUR FrSky 2.4GHz EXPERIENCE !!!

A year ago I switched my Futaba FP-8UAF system from 72 to 2.4, by installing a FrSky module and 8 ch.Rx combo. Prior to going to 2.4 I use to experience an occassional glitch while flying my gas powered models, but I am happy to report that during this time the new system has performed flawlessly, including being glitch free. With the FrSky system I now enjoy the benefit of fail safe on all channels, super quick binding and an easy range check method. I am presently in the process of changing out all my existing 72 Rx's to FrSky, and IMO this system compares more than favourably to the original Futaba system

Karol

Gyroguru 08-31-2011 08:32 AM

I am not an Electrical Engineer but I am sure that the hardware is easy to copy. To come up with source code is much harder I bet for a FHSS over the DSSS system.

Just when we though that we would be locked in to high priced big boys 2.4GHz receivers, FrSky comes out budget FHSS clones. Futaba FASST supposed to be the top notch system. If they can duplicate Futaba, watch out Hitec, Airtronics & Spektrum DSMX !

FrSky has 5 different FASST Rx’s now. The newest one is a 4 Channel TFR4 which is not on Hobby King yet. I will bet it sells for $15 !!!

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=18

Gyroguru 08-31-2011 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TFR4

forrest gump 08-31-2011 09:39 AM

I did a bit of research on the tfr4..I think you will find it dearer than the tfr6 as its aimed at boat and car users using c1 mode FASST as well as 7ch mode...this will make it dearer,shame really but we can hope for a small,end pin 4ch in the future(like the assan 4ch)..keep up the good work frsky....you have saved my life!

dant-RCU 08-31-2011 11:41 AM

I just installed an Fr Sky TFRSP 8 channel FASST compatable receiver in my 60 size GP Stick (my beater/test aircraft)

I am running a JBA 15 gas engine and using 7 of the 8 channels. (aileron1, aileron2, throttle, nose steering, rudder, elevator and ignition cut-off).

So far My range checks show the following:
Futaba Rx - 79 paces (to end of field from where ac was stationed) engine not running
Futaba Rx - 79 paces with engine running

Fr Sky - 79 paces with engine not running
Fr Sky - 79 paces with engine running

Getting same range on both so I feel good about that. That is with my 12Z at reduced power range check option.

Too windy to fly that day but I am planning on flying Saturday. Weather looks very good here.

Here is a good link to a real review if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml

So far So good.......

Dan

Gyroguru 08-31-2011 03:17 PM

I did see the RCModelreview. It's important to know what people are experiencing in the field in real world!

When manufacturer send test samples to anyone to review, they make sure it is pretested and workring properly.

I got rid of Corona due to very slow relink after brownout. I have converted JR XP7202 and JR XF631 to FrSky and works great!

Rod_Hart 08-31-2011 05:50 PM

Great success with mine. I have three 8 channel full range receivers and 3 4 channel park receivers So far they have worked flawlessly. I used the DIY conversion for my 72 Mhz Futuba 7 C. Works as good as my RDS8000 and SD-10G.

Rod

blvdbuzzard 08-31-2011 06:04 PM

I have a the 8 channel radio from Leaders hobby. I came with an 8 channel Rx. So far I am very happy with it. It does have a hard time living up to the easy of programing compared to the RDS8000.

I will be ordering the program / back lit board for the Tx. Then I can flash the Tx and have better programming options.

Buzz.

karolh 08-31-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I have a the 8 channel radio from Leaders hobby. I came with an 8 channel Rx. So far I am very happy with it. It does have a hard time living up to the easy of programing compared to the RDS8000.

I will be ordering the program / back lit board for the Tx. Then I can flash the Tx and have better programming options.

Buzz.
Is your radio a FlySky and not a FrSky unit, for as to the best of my knowledge FrSky does not make a radio system.

Karol

blvdbuzzard 08-31-2011 07:16 PM

As I am told, it has the same module in it that this is talking about. What I have read they are from the same factory with different stickers. This radio has the actual module that plugs in and can be used in other radios. Where as the radios from HK and others has a different setup where they are wired in. I could be wrong because I have not toured China to see.

Buzz.

Rodney 09-01-2011 06:18 AM

I've had two of the 8 channel receivers used with the transmitter plug in module for Futaba with great success, never a problem of any kind.

modeltronics 09-01-2011 12:35 PM

I've put hack modules in two JR radios, one Airtronics, and one Kraft Spectrum6 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10072737/tm.htm

All work very well.

Pete

lbarnes 09-03-2011 04:20 PM

Here is my experience with Frsky V8HT (Tx) and V8FR (Rx) 2.4Ghz DIY modules.

Pro's:
The modification to my old 72Mhz went well, Was up and running in about 1 hr. Very easy to do only 3 wires to solder (-,+, PPM). Quick binding when signal loss.

cons:

Very poor servo response. Servo operation is jerky and in some cases a slight delay in movement.

I have been on 3 other forums and every one says good things, but my experience sucks.

I have analog servos, JR, Hitec, Futaba and some cheap ones. All servos and channels react the same. When I installed the 2.4Ghz module I added a switch so I can switch from 72mhz to 2.4Ghz transmission. In 72Mhz mode the servo operation is like butter, smooth precise and no jerk or delay.

No where on the Frsky website is there any mention of analog/digital servo use on the V8FR Rx.

No one on any forums have complained about the servo operation, as I will not fly because of it.

one forum told me that I need to buy the Version 2 (2 way telementry) and I will not have servo issues. The Frsky specification for the HDT 2 way module will work the the V8FR (non telementry) receiver.

How do i know this is true? Do I want to shell out more money for something that may not work?[:-]

Think not.

I know there a several people that have used the Frsky modules on there old 72Mhz and seem satisfied (at least after 2 days of reading post, I cant find anyone unhappy).

Anyone got any ideas?

Larry

karolh 09-03-2011 07:54 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with your FrSky and hope you get it all sorted out. While doing some research on the FrSky system and before I opted to use it to switch my Futaba 8UAF from 72 to 2.4, I came across one report on RC Review site where someone complained of jerky servo movements. I can't recall what was suggested as a solution but you could visit the site and do a search. I have used several different brands and type of servos with my FrSky V8HT and V8FR units and all have worked perfectly.

Karol

lbarnes 09-04-2011 05:33 AM

I am using analog servos of different makes, they all twitch.

It does remind me of a digital servo on analog operation though.

I also talked to a sales person at my Tx location and he advised me to use the Frsky. his works.

There was some issues on my Tx about adding a .01Ufd cap at the ppm point to ground to help filter any noise.

This was for a issue of idle servos twitching due to noise.

This is not my problem it is when I activate the servos and the are jerky when in travel.

I sent a message to Frsky to see if they have a answer. Maybe I just got a bad Tx module.

Both of my Rx's do the exact same thing with this Tx module.

Larry

lbarnes 09-04-2011 05:57 AM

I think I found my problem this morning.

I switched to low power range check and twitching went away.

I then switched back to full power and the twitching came back.

I will take to field with some friends and do a range check and see if I still get twitching

Hope this is it.[&:]

Maybe some who has this set up can see if close range and full power will cause twitching.

Larry

karolh 09-04-2011 06:09 AM

Sure hope you get it all sorted out so you can fly and enjoy your new system.

Karol

karolh 09-21-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: lbarnes

I think I found my problem this morning.

I switched to low power range check and twitching went away.

I then switched back to full power and the twitching came back.

I will take to field with some friends and do a range check and see if I still get twitching

Hope this is it.[&:]

Maybe some who has this set up can see if close range and full power will cause twitching.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Did you ever get the twitching problem sorted out, and if so what was the cause.

Karol

Dave McDonald 09-21-2011 09:04 PM

I now have 7 of the HK Orange 6 ch DSM2 receivers, and 8 of the HK Orange 8 ch FASST receivers. They are made by FrSky, and they all seem to work perfectly. I also have 7 of the Spektrum 6110E receivers, 8 of the Futaba 6106HF, 2 of the Futaba 6014FS, and 1 Futaba 617FS. In the air, I can't tell the difference between the genuine Spektrum DSM2 and the Orange DSM2 receivers, nor can I tell the difference between the Futaba FASST receivers and the Orange FASST receivers.

On the ground, my wallet can tell a BIG difference, especially with the FASST receivers.

A buddy bought both of my old Futaba 8U transmitters and converted them to FrSky 2.4. One with telemetry, and one without. He has a variety of the FrSky receivers, and they have also been working perfectly.

So far, I've been very impressed with FrSky products.

karolh 09-22-2011 05:17 AM

I am very happy with the performance of the Frsky 2.4 module in my 8UAF and the associated Rx's, not to mention the cost savings.

Karol

Roo Man 10-03-2011 06:21 AM

Kind of late replying but wanted to add my 2 cents.

Have been using Frsky for almost a year on my Futaba 8UAP without any problems. Using the standard vrsion not the two way version.

Love the cost savings.

Gary