RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   CAUTION-Realflight 4.5 Trojan Horse (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10736938-caution-realflight-4-5-trojan-horse.html)

turnerr 09-27-2011 12:17 PM

CAUTION-Realflight 4.5 Trojan Horse

I purchased Realflight 4.5 a couple of years ago. I loaded it on a Windows Vista operating system machine. I did not notice any problems with the computer for a couple of months. As time went on, I started noticing it would hang up after an instruction. I started getting some error notices (can't remember what they were now). After a couple more months, I started getting really serious errors and sometimes register errors that would repair upon a reboot and scan by windows. The over time, the problems became so numerous that I finally gave up and reformatted the hard disc and reloaded the recovery software. I have been using this machine for 8 months now with no problem. I did not reload Realflight software until yesterday. It loaded just fine. I also decided to load it on my desktop which has a larger screen. This Windows 7 machine stopped the install and gave me an error that the disc contained a trojan horse. WOW, was this the source of my Vista computer crash?

I called Great Planes today to share the problem, and I got a response that it is not their software, but my antivirus program. They suggested I delete my antivirus program and load Realflight. I thought this was crazy. If they do have a trojan horse in their software, why would I intentionally infect my computer. The customer service rep stated this happens from time to time and the antivirus is getting a false positive. If this does happen from time to time, as they state, I would think they would have a technical paper out warning people of this issue. They said they don't. Their rational that they do not have a problem is that they would have it on "millions" of machines. Has anyone had this problem?

I am using AVG 2012 antivirus program running a Windows 7 home edition operating system on my desktop.

I was very disappointed in Great Plane's response. I offered to ship them back the disc for exchange but that was not accepted by the customer service rep. I would think that would only be aboiut the cost of postage to them.

FGPC
(Frustrated Great Planes Customer)

aydin3 09-27-2011 05:30 PM

RE: CAUTION-Realflight 4.5 Trojan Horse

Download another anti virus and check the disk with that as well. Virus detectors do often give false warnings, especially when they use heurestic analysis of programs to find said virii.

www.avast.com has a good FREE antivirus program that I often use as a second scanner. I am not surprosed that the company refused to exchange the disk as there is very proba bly no virus on it at all. As for your problems with Vista, it is more likely the websites you went to, the popups you looked at and the fact that very few people have any idea at all of how to keep their computer running efficiently rather than a virus problem. Vista was a rather resource hungry OS anyways, you are far better off with windows 7 and wil lbe even better off with Windows 8..unless you move over to Linux which is far better than either but canot run Realflight rograms :)

Bax 09-28-2011 05:39 AM

We are sorry for your difficulty, however what you were told by Great Planes Software Support is correct: The trojan virus warning you are seeing is a false positive detection of RealFlight G4.5 by AVG Internet Security. For that part, please be aware that there are no virus infections of any kind on any RealFlight installation media. Additionally, your G4.5 disk is a manufactured production DVD ROM. It is not possible for new data (virus or otherwise) to be written to your RealFlight disk.

While Great Planes and KnifeEdge Software are happy to assist you as much as possible, we can only refer you to the AVG Internet Security technical support team regarding any improper detections or quarantines created by their product.

About the malfunction you saw under Windows Vista: without a specific error message or more detailed information, we can only tell you that the problem you were seeing would not have been due to any kind of virus infection caused by the installation of RealFlight. If you would like Great Planes to address that problem further, we encourage you to contact Great Planes Software Support with the content of the error message you saw.

Silent-AV8R 09-28-2011 07:11 AM

FWIW I run RF4.5 on a Windows Vista machine with no issues at all.

turnerr 09-29-2011 07:14 AM

Well, now people can see the logic of Great Planes and Knifeedge and how they are closed minded to a potential problem.

Today, I am even more convinced something is wrong with my Realflight software. Since loading Realflight a few days ago, loading of web sites takes significantly more tme regardless of the site visited. I deleted the Realflight software, and my performance improved but still not back to original speed before loading RealFlight.

I am never going to use this software again. What a waste of $150.

mighty9 09-29-2011 07:48 AM

You have other issues then.

aydin3 09-29-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: turnerr

Well, now people can see the logic of Great Planes and Knifeedge and how they are closed minded to a potential problem.

Today, I am even more convinced something is wrong with my Realflight software. Since loading Realflight a few days ago, loading of web sites takes significantly more tme regardless of the site visited. I deleted the Realflight software, and my performance improved but still not back to original speed before loading RealFlight.

I am never going to use this software again. What a waste of $150.

It seems more a problem of the user is incapable of understanding that the sites he visits are more likely then not the problem...Real Flight does not have a problem with a trojan/virus or anything else on their disks...other than the large virus that is required for it to run in the first place..ie Windows :*)

Get the scanner Iput up, scan the damn CD's with it and you will SEEthat you are incorrect in your assumption that RF is the problem. Oh and go get some basic computer security training so you understand where you REAL problem is...it is NOT with Real flight...assuming you have the ORIGINALCDs that is... :)

A VERYsatisfied RF user since version 3.

chocorrol 09-29-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: turnerr

I'm sorry man but this is too hilarious... where is the potential problem? maybe GPpeople now have to put on the system requirements something like this: " User 2.2 or above" lol

sortegon 10-23-2011 07:02 PM

I think the closed minded is someone else... :D

chuckk2 10-24-2011 11:31 PM

If the real flight sim software has a module related to the joystick inputs that is resident, and possibly loaded at bootup, this can slow a computer down. The slower computers will likely have a more noticeable slowdown than one that is fast enough to sort of shrug off the additional delay caused by the joystick related software.
Another area is the audio card. Some of the flight sim setups use the audio card to help translate the audio frequency pulse train from an RC Tx trainer output to a digital signal that is usable by the flight sim. Thus, a slow audio card and it's software can also contribute to the problem.
It seems that the more complex windows has become, the harder it is for it to keep up with some types of real time inputs.
Another area has to do with what USB controllers are connected to what. Generally, if a USB input is used by a flight sim,
it's a bit better to have other USB devices connected to some other USB controller. Each controller can have multiple ports.