RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Spektrum vs. Futaba? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10970722-spektrum-vs-futaba.html)

HoundDog 02-23-2012 06:25 AM

RE: Spektrum vs. Futaba?

ORIGINAL: rmh

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

<span><span font-size:="" style=""><span color:="" style="">Why in the world do Spectrum Systems still come with 4.8 volt battery packs when everyone knows they require 6 volt packs with lots of MAH's and in some cases High Output depending on the other installed equipment ... I Just don't under stand Spectrum's Marketing straggly. Seems they would have enough problems with the fact that DSM2 is flawed and they persist on making it retor to the 8's
<span font-size:="" style=""><span color:="" style="">Now don't get mad just because you refuse to see reality.it took XPS a lot longer to dump their first 2 implitations of 2.4</span></span>
</span></span></span>
A friend flies his 35% gasser on large 4.8 volt cells -never a problem- DX7 tx and rx
If you understood how power is measured , you would not have problems with th e 4.8/6 v setups
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">Large is the Key word here with Hight output also, not a 4.8 Volt
800 Mah pack.
Flying Spectrum is like flying with retracts "There are those that have and those that will, have a Gear Up Experiance" It's only a mater of time. Some day "BAM" then it's Crock-A-Dial Tears. Experaton Date has been reached ... Sorry.</span></span></span>

HoundDog 02-23-2012 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If you're getting true brown outs then its a power problem not a radio problem and you will get that with any radio system if you don't provide adaquate power input.

True. But not all radios have the same threshold or reaction to a loss of voltage. If a low voltage "brown out" can be induced by normal flight operations versus the low voltage being due to an actual battery problem (loss of charge, depletion, pack damage), then those are fundamentally different situations and to say that all radios are susceptible to brown outs is not particularly meaningful. In addition, some radios are also capable of warning that the voltage is getting dangerously low before it actually causes a loss of control.
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">That's why I'm flying most of my 20 or so planes on HiTec Aroura 9 radios or the Aroura 9 Module in my Futaba 9CAPS. 5 of these are Big 87" to 100" Gassers too. I'll admitt 2 biggies are still on 72 Mhz PCM Synthized RX's. Why mess with sucess. If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix IT.</span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">OH 2 of my smaller planes have full GPS HiTec Telemetry ... 400' isn't that high ....</span></span></span>

rmh 02-23-2012 06:37 AM

If you're getting true brown outs then its a power problem not a radio problem and you will get that with any radio system if you don't provide adaquate power input.

True. But not all radios have the same threshold or reaction to a loss of voltage. If a low voltage ''brown out'' can be induced by normal flight operations versus the low voltage being due to an actual battery problem (loss of charge, depletion, pack damage), then those are fundamentally different situations and to say that all radios are susceptible to brown outs is not particularly meaningful. In addition, some radios are also capable of warning that the voltage is getting dangerously low before it actually causes a loss of control.
Noyt exactly- the typical problem is NOT voltage getting low but instead, the the current demand -(peak current demands) depresses the voltage below operating threshold
NO radios detect that .

Silent-AV8R 02-23-2012 07:24 AM

True. But not all radios have the same threshold or reaction to a loss of voltage. If a low voltage ''brown out'' can be induced by normal flight operations versus the low voltage being due to an actual battery problem (loss of charge, depletion, pack damage), then those are fundamentally different situations and to say that all radios are susceptible to brown outs is not particularly meaningful. In addition, some radios are also capable of warning that the voltage is getting dangerously low before it actually causes a loss of control.
Noyt exactly- the typical problem is NOT voltage getting low but instead, the the current demand -(peak current demands) depresses the voltage below operating threshold
NO radios detect that .

So if I understand you the issue is not low voltage, it is high current demand that causes low voltage?

Oh, and just to add, the Futaba low battery voltage failsafe does not care why the voltage is low, it simply responds to a low voltage situation.

BuschBarber 02-23-2012 07:36 AM

NO radios detect that .
Most JR/Spektrum receivers display a Blinking light if Rx battery voltage has dropped below critical. Also, if you are using a DX8, DX10t, DX18, or the STI module, you will receive a Warning Alert if the Rx battery voltage drops below the threshold it is set for. Obviously, the Blinking light is only observable after you land, but the Telemetry will warn you in flight.

HoundDog 02-23-2012 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

NO radios detect that .
Most JR/Spektrum receivers display a Blinking light if Rx battery voltage has dropped below critical. Also, if you are using a DX8, DX10t, DX18, or the STI module, you will receive a Warning Alert if the Rx battery voltage drops below the threshold it is set for. Obviously, the Blinking light is only observable after you land, but the Telemetry will warn you in flight.
Same with the HiTec ... Just wish HiTec didn't use the same BEEP BEEP for every thing from on board battery to count down timer ... Guess I could spring for the Talkie Box ... What's another $60. Still less expensive than Futaba or DX8 When it comes to Recievers, And if I wish I can still use 72 Mhz with the Aroura 9's. Best of both Worlds ... Guess that's what makes this Hobby/Sport so great ... all the choices we have to argue about .... Mine's Bigger than Yours ... LOL

BuschBarber 02-23-2012 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

NO radios detect that .
Same with the HiTec ... Just wish HiTec didn't use the same BEEP BEEP for every thing from on board battery to count down timer ... Guess I could spring for the Talkie Box ... What's another $60. Still less expensive than Futaba or DX8 When it comes to Recievers, And if I wish I can still use 72 Mhz with the Aroura 9's. Best of both Worlds ... Guess that's what makes this Hobby/Sport so great ... all the choices we have to argue about .... Mine's Bigger than Yours ... LOL
I bought the Spektrum module, for my 9303, when it first came out. This was my first foray into 2.4. I also have a Synthesized 72Mhz module for the few 72Mhz receivers I still have. I like the Futaba and Hitec offerings, as well, but I am satisfied with what I have. I also have a DX8.

abcarr711 02-23-2012 08:39 AM

RMH,<div></div><div>And anyone else interested. I will sell my brand new in the box DX8 Radio with universal wall charger, neckstrap, manual, setup guide and decals for $300 and I will ship it to you priority mail. It sells for $349.99 in the stores/online. It has been turned on and upgrade to the current 2.04 Airwave and the models from my "regular" radio have been copied to it and saved. Hence it the "backup" radio, but nothing has ever been bound to it.</div><div>
No servos or receivers included. Radio battery obviously is.
</div>

abcarr711 02-23-2012 09:00 AM

<font size="3">Just in case anyone is wondering about the start of this thread, I do have and was using the Spektrum Telemetry unit on this plane and monitoring the ignition battery (6v NiCD) and the receiver battery (also 6v NiCD) with low voltage warnings set at 5.5 volts.  When the crash occured neither battery was low and the ignition battery tested at 6.01 volts and the receiver battery tested at 5.9 volts on my SKYRC meter.</font><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">I used six volts on the receiver because the HiTec servos would chatter on the 4.8 volt battery from Spektrum, but were rock solid on a 6 volt battery.</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">I  still get frustrated about the mislabelling of the product.  And I did not mix up the satelite receiver with the AR8000. And I had no idea that "all" AR8000s were DSMX because there a lot clearly marked DSM2.  I obviously have two of them.  I searched Spektrum's website and there is no tech bulletin that I could find to indicate this.</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">So what is to keep Mr. or Mrs. Consumer from mixing them up if they have multiple receivers all marked DSM2?  When according to Horizon Hobby they are not and HORIZON HOBBY knowlingly admits to mislabeling them, that could cause issues.</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">I do not remove satelite receivers from the main receiver unless I am installing or uninstalling to route a wire, and it is immediately plugged back in, never separated from each other more than a few inches and never put away unplgged.  Even then I am extremely careful in fear of pulling out or damaging a wire.</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">I have lost two other planes with this radio.  One I know I screwed up and stalled it, a Corsair.  The other I now question, but it was several months ago and I don't know for sure.  Oh well.  </font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">Someone please buy my DX8 so I can buy a Futaba.  Their free radio case offer expires in a few days!  I will have to slowly replace my "fleet" of receivers as time and money allows.</font></div>

abcarr711 02-23-2012 09:16 AM

<font size="3">One last thing for the day.  </font><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">When I sent my AR8000 "DSM2" receiver and matching "DSM2" satelite receiver to HH, I included a nice, professionally written letter explaining the crash, the servos and things I was doing to isolate what happened.  I asked them to consider assisting me in the replacement of the H9 Extra 260 if the receiver was found to be part of the problem.  After all, both the Receiver and Plane were HH products.  Doesn't seem like much of a stretch.</font><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">They never even acknowledged the letter or responded to it.  Customer service at its best?  Regardless of your stance on Spektrum or Futaba, you must agree their mislabeling and lack of response/customer service is pretty sad considering the amunt of money invested in the hobby by everyone.</font></div></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">Extra 260          $400</font></div><div><font size="3">DLE 55             $350</font></div><div><font size="3">Servos              $200</font></div><div><font size="3">Receiver           $130</font></div><div><font size="3">Telemetry         $80</font></div><div><font size="3">Battery packs   $60</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div><div><font size="3">Customer Service after the purchase........   Worthless</font></div><div><font size="3">
</font></div>

Luchnia 02-23-2012 09:46 AM

Certainly no reason to doubt your story and I am definitely not pleased with the way you have been treated and your situation has been handled. I think they should at least own up to the way you have been treated and try to keep your business. These planes are expensive and not all of us are "out to get the dealers."

In my experience with radios, I can only verify things I have seen at the fields I fly at and one thing I have often noticed is that the radio gets blamed pretty quickly in many situations. Again, not stating that your radio is not the problem, only my experiences.

I have had a couple of times that I thought my radio was the problem and after careful inspection I found I had falsely blamed my radio. I had one plane that would do the oddest stuff. It would seem as if it would lose control at times and was like a total brown out or black out or whatever you want to call it. However, each time control would return.

I decided I would do an extensive and detailed inspection of the plane to determine what caused my problems. If I had of kept flying the plane, I felt I was doomed for a crash. Well after disassembling each part and inspecting it, lo and behold, I found the issue! One of the aileron connectors was somehow disconnecting during flight via vibration. It was taped, but the heat would make the tape expand and vibration would make the connector disconnect. I fixed the connector never to have the problem return. Imagine how I felt after blaming my radio.

At one field I fly at the ratio of Futaba to Spektrum is about fifty-fifty and in the past three years more plans have crashed flying Futaba than Spektrum, but again that does not mean it was radio issues. As a matter of fact, very few could be blamed on the radio and I would imagine if a good inspection was done we would find hardly any from the fault of the radio. At the other field, it is about 80% Futaba to Spektrum and other brands. Planes crash there too and often it does seem like a radio, but again most of the time after inspection it is not.

The only time I can recall that something was wierd that may have been my radio was one day I was flying and control stopped completely for a number of seconds. It was very odd. A noise that sounded like my neck strap had clunked against the radio occurred and for a brief time I had no control - as if I had hit a switch or something. After a few moments the control came back. I think my radio rebooted (if that is possible). Other than that, no other incidences in three years and well over 500 hundred flights on a number of different planes.

rmh 02-23-2012 09:50 AM

NO radios detect that .

So if I understand you the issue is not low voltage, it is high current demand that causes low voltage?

Oh, and just to add, the Futaba low battery voltage failsafe does not care why the voltage is low, it simply responds to a low voltage situation.
Of course it is . What would reduce voltage other tha current consumed
If you measure instant draw -youwill easily see how voltage is directly tied to current consumed also by the time a low voltage alarm/(low throttle )goes off - the power left to run servos has gone critical and a large instant draw will simply stop any rx - till th rx stops THEN the voltage will rise - rx turns back on etc.,this is simply how it works

airraptor 02-23-2012 09:54 AM

Abcarr Do not give up on HH. they have the best service out there, well for sure 1,000 times better than Tower.
Do not give up on specktrum either. If your satelite was a DSM2 then it may have bound to DSM2. with DSM2 there have been many reported crashes but since the switch to DSMX i havent heard of any crashes at my field or on the net. Yours is the first. Also futaba and Hitec have had many crashes also. Specktrum has many great things coming out in the future that futaba will be way behind on.

as far as HH replacing your plane i think that isnt a fair request. If HH, tower, chief, TBM and all others had to replace a plane, heli, or car everytime it crashed the prices in the hobby would soar well beyond our prices now and many of those dealers would go out of biz. plus if they replaced it for you then someone else would have a unexplained crash and ask for a new plane.

You could have had other things to cause the crash. heck there may have been a defect in the servo and hitec replaced everything because they found it was thier mistake who knows. All RC PLANES will crash some day. i know your upset over loosing a plane but this is a learning experience for you. Dont assume everything is perfect check everything. we get complacent sometimes when everything is/has been working perfectly with no errors. remember we are all human and when someone is at work assembling our rc equipment they are doing this for work not a hobby so they get used to doing the same thing day in day out. If a part that looks the same gets mixed in with anohter part it can get mixed up. I bought two of the 8000 when first switched to the DSMX. I ordered them from a smaller dealer since had a great price and free shipping. anyway i saw that they said DSM2 on the reciever and i called them back and told them they sent the wrong ones. well after 30 mins on the phone i did have the correct DSMX ones. Yes it sucks that specktrum couldnt make a label correctly for these. You asking for a new plane and parts is just wrong IMO. Its like if i had a DA 60 on my plane in a hover 20 feet off the ground and the ignition burned up and quit. the plane is destroyed and many other parts should I have DA replace everything? There is a lot of failures in our planes but most of the time i dont think we should ask for a replacement if it fails.

No matter the brand I take all engines apart, I take all servos apart and cycle all brands of batteries to make sure every thing is working correctly and everything is how it should be.

a1pcfixer 02-23-2012 09:57 AM

Many people say I'm just a trouble maker but I've personally witnessed too many Spectrum systems just Crash and Burn, for no apparent reason. .................................................T here are a lot of Futabas at the fields I fly at. Old and new. Seems there are very few crashes with these and none for lose of radio, that I know of. I personally use Futaba 9CAPS on 72 Mhz....................................
Ain't that the truth!

Not to be brand loyal, although I MUCH prefer my Futaba, but if ya look over the numerous online issues reported on Futaba tx/rcv -vs- Spektrum, yes they both have issues, but the Fuataba's are like a very light sprinkling and the Spektrums are like an avalanche.

I have a DX7 which is ONLY for my cheaper aircraft such as indoor stuff. My Futaba 10CAP (not the later 10CAG) is by far the most rock solid tx I've ever owned, and the ONLY tx I'll trust my larger & more valued aircraft with.

Flame suit on folks!:)

rmh 02-23-2012 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: abcarr711

<font size=''3''>Just in case anyone is wondering about the start of this thread, I do have and was using the Spektrum Telemetry unit on this plane and monitoring the ignition battery (6v NiCD) and the receiver battery (also 6v NiCD) with low voltage warnings set at 5.5 volts. When the crash occured neither battery was low and the ignition battery tested at 6.01 volts and the receiver battery tested at 5.9 volts on my SKYRC meter.</font><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>I used six volts on the receiver because the HiTec servos would chatter on the 4.8 volt battery from Spektrum, but were rock solid on a 6 volt battery.</font></div><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>I still get frustrated about the mislabelling of the product. And I did not mix up the satelite receiver with the AR8000. And I had no idea that ''all'' AR8000s were DSMX because there a lot clearly marked DSM2. I obviously have two of them. I searched Spektrum's website and there is no tech bulletin that I could find to indicate this.</font></div><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>So what is to keep Mr. or Mrs. Consumer from mixing them up if they have multiple receivers all marked DSM2? When according to Horizon Hobby they are not and HORIZON HOBBY knowlingly admits to mislabeling them, that could cause issues.</font></div><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>I do not remove satelite receivers from the main receiver unless I am installing or uninstalling to route a wire, and it is immediately plugged back in, never separated from each other more than a few inches and never put away unplgged. Even then I am extremely careful in fear of pulling out or damaging a wire.</font></div><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>I have lost two other planes with this radio. One I know I screwed up and stalled it, a Corsair. The other I now question, but it was several months ago and I don't know for sure. Oh well. </font></div><div><font size=''3''>
</font></div><div><font size=''3''>Someone please buy my DX8 so I can buy a Futaba. Their free radio case offer expires in a few days! I will have to slowly replace my ''fleet'' of receivers as time and money allows.</font></div>
You letter simply has info which I cant accept - -the 4.8 chatter but none on 6 volts does not fit what I know about servos

abcarr711 02-23-2012 10:26 AM

Regarding the thought I was asking for HH to replace everything. Not true. My request for consideration for assistance was to help replace the 260 only. Not the motor, not the servos, the plane only. Didn't even ask for a replacement, just assistance. A $10 couplon or 10% discount would have been a great gesture. Not out of line in my opinion.<div></div><div>Fact still remains the Satelite receiver and Receiver sent to HH was the exact one that came with the DX8, were kept together their entire life from the time I received them to the install, crash uninstall and the time I mailed Priority to HH.</div><div></div><div>As for the servo chatter, the servos were metal gear, high torque and they would not adequately move and would chatter (not constant) on the 4.8 volt battery, but did not on 6.0 volt. Servos were not an issue here, servos did not fail. I simply chose 6.0 volt due to the higher torque and metal gears and more solid perfomance for a plane this size. I tested all the servos after the crash. Only one had issue, but that was a result of the impact. I sent all back to Hitec and they tested all and replaced the bad gears in the one servo.</div><div></div><div>The fact HH did not even offer to assist or offer anything regarding the plane, is not at issue with me. The total disregard to the letter and the handling of the DSM2 vs. DSMX is the issue. In reality, I sent back what I believed to be at the time, a DSM2 receiver and satelite. I was informed via "invoice" that the DSM2 is really a DSMX and the other DSM2 is really a DSM2, etc. </div><div></div><div>Like I said before, where was the tech bulletin to alert people of this? They could have been mismatched anywhere in the supply line. Including my home, but that is doubtful, as I cannot remember a time I had more than one receiver on the workbench. They are in a plane or there is one waiting for the plane I am working on.

Like others that have commented here, my bigger planes will be flying Futaba in the near future. The BNF will remain on the DX8 until they are sold or crash. Whichever comes first. At that time, who knows what will happen.</div><div>
Did you you know that HH advised me that all antennas have dead spots and theirs is at the end of their short antenna wires. I don't know what that has to do with anything, but thought I would share it.</div><div></div>

MVFLYER 02-23-2012 10:46 AM

I have had some trouble with Spektrum gear as well. I'm using a DX6i with 6200 and 6210 receivers. Most recently I had a 6 month old 6210 that failed to link with the transmitter. Many attempts were made to rebind the receiver but failed. I'm lucky this happened on the ground and not in the air. This was in a Giant Big Stick that wouldn't be cheap to replace. That receiver has been sent to Horizon for testing, waiting to see what they do.Last year I lost a plane when it just stopped responding in flight. My Pulse just flew straight and level across the horizon and into the woods. We searched and searchedbut never could find that plane. I was thinking about upgrading to a more advanced transmitter like the DX8, I'm starting to think a Futaba is a better choice!

abcarr711 02-23-2012 10:54 AM

MVFLYER,<div>
</div><div>I had a six channel DSM2 Spektrum receiver last year, that lost its bind and I could not bind it, so I sent it back and they "Reloaded" the firmware and sent it back saying it was operational again.  At no time did they tell me why or how the receiver could lose its firmware.  Was it something I did? was it something wrong with the DSM2 system?  I don't know.  When I got it back, I sold it as is, stating Spektrum had fixed it and I wouldn't guarantee it. I wasn't willing to chance that one again.  Luckily it was on the ground or in the garage when it "lost" its firmware.  Maybe it bounced out of the truck on my way home from the flying field! </div><div>
</div><div> :)</div>

garywaters 02-23-2012 11:06 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">I bought a DX8.

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">I’m unhappy with Horizon Hobby,

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">You can call the service center 4 times with the same question, and get 4 different answers.

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">I had HH change the mode on my DX8 and check it out before they shipped it to me.

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">When I opened up the box I found that the <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>throttle stick was hanging up,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>I put it back in the box and sent it back.

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">When I got it back it over heated when charging so back in the box to HH again.

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">I’m going to put the system  in a CHEEP trainer to try it out…<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>

</p></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><font face="Calibri">After paying $430,,,,,, I ask WHY ?

</p></font></span></p>

willysknight 02-23-2012 11:16 AM

This arguement goes on on every forum. The fact is Horizon wants us to test thier products. I lost two planes on my dx8 before I found out about the bullitin. Not a recall, a bullitin. My first plane was a 60inch you-can-do. When it lost communication, it went into a dive at half throttle and missed a woman in the park by 75 feet after travelling a quarter mile from my flying field. My second plane was a carbon z yak. It crashed on the third flite on take off because it would not respond after lift off. Thats when I discovered the bullitin and sent in the dx8. I purchased a new dx6i. I rebuilt the yak with new servos and body. First flight was stellar. Second battery, second flight anly lasted 1.5 minutes and the plane jerked up during level flight, mid throttle. As i was trying to come around to land it went into a violent uncommanded snaproll into the ground. This type of story is all over forums from hundreds of people. Two weeks after I switched brands,I witnessed a friend have the same problem with a dx6i and a 60 inch corsair. Horizon has a reciever problem. Brown outs dont cause uncommanded darting of servos. It wont be long untill there is someone killed, then its class action lawsuit time.By the way,Horizon refused to pay for the u-can-do and after 6 tries on the service request and bieng thrown out of the request page, I gave up and moved on to thier compettition. Its funny how Horizon has R and D reps defending thier problems on forums............

dwaynenancy 02-23-2012 11:20 AM

I had a similar brown out experience. Mine was a 260 with a brand new DLE20. On the first flight for all the equipment I was in my traffic pattern approach and turning on final when I lost everything. Anything I value will be flown via Futaba. There is a learning curve installing the dual antennas in the correct orientation. But, I am "afraid" to use the Spectrum equipment.

Dwayne

airraptor 02-23-2012 12:11 PM

i really think the DSM2 stuff is the propblem. with only so many channels to chose from and the rise of 2.4ghz phones and other devices i think flying in that park you may have got "shot down". I do know that since everyone at the club has switched to DSMX not one single problem at all. we fly everyday of the week and put around 5-7 flights on each airplane at the field that day.

if you want to talk numbers then how many futaba radios sold VS specktrum/JR 2.4 sold

I think most all radio problems come from instalation error and bad batteries.

You guys that havent had any problems with Futaba then good for you smae goes for all other brand of radios. I know in the Jet section most in there will not fly thier jets on futaba stuff.

To the guy that crashed the carbon z speed controls have a bec in them. if it is a warm to hot day and flying at part throttle most of the flight then land and put another battery to fly again the speed control may have gotten to hot and went in to shut down and lost voltage to the reciever. sppeds controls get hotter when at partial throttle than at full power most of the time. there are so many variables to crashes. even if you lost control of a plane doesnt mean the radio is bad. You could have a servo lock up or draw excess power, jam up, have binding controls and many other things.

tfarmer96 02-23-2012 12:28 PM

Huh? The receiver and the satelite receiver are both labelled DSM2 and came together with my DX8 radio! Seems to be a problem here.

Their invoice continues: ''DSM2 remote receivers are not compatible with DSMX receivers. Also DSMX remote receivers are note compatible with DSM2 receivers. The remote rec. are note interchangible.''

That is quoted exactly as written.

So it appears that my AR8000 is a DSMX receiver, although clearly marked as a DSM2 Receiver and my satelite receiver is a DSM2 receiver, clearly marked as a DSM2 Receiver. So Spektrum mixed them when put in my radio, but they bound, something they say can't happen but I had three successful flights before the ill-fated forth with the crash. Now thy tell me the satelite and receiver are not compatible with each other and won't bind. Huh?

Trying to shorten my story, Horizon shipped me a free DSMX satelite receiver to go with my clearly marked DSM2 AR8000 that they claim is actually a DSMX AR8000. Obviously they know something was wrong, but they told me by phone it was a gesture of good will for them send me a new DSMX satelite receiver so I could use the AR8000. When asked about helping with a replacement plane due to the receiver problem, I was quoted the owner's manual where it states ''collateral'' damage is not covered.

I am very frustrated and ready to go back to Futaba radios. Anyone else had a similar event? <br type=''_moz'' />
[/quote]

Ya this is not cool, and im sorry you lost a new plane. Im a 2.4 JR 11x user with the DSM2 receivers and havent ran out of them yet but, now i know not to mix and match the remote receivers.

tonyob 02-23-2012 01:53 PM

I've heard many complaints at the flying field post crash that the radio was to blame, yet in a number of those case I was watching the crash and saw what I believe was clear pilot error. So, it's not reliable to listen to every complaint about radio problems.

I had a crash recently where I suspected radio as I heard the engine drop back to idle (fail safe kicking in) and had no control whatsoever. So, why should you believe my tale of radio woes? Because you can test this yourself with your spektrum (or other) transmitter.

My crash was caused because I had my 2.4ghz antenna folded over to the left, parallel with the ground and when my plane came around to where the top of the antenna was pointing directly at the plane, I lost signal.

Test it yourself when you next do a range test. Point the antenna directly at the plane and walk away holding the bind / range test button till you lose control of the plane. Then reorient your antenna so that it is pointing to the sky and the side of the top shaft is effectively pointing to your plane and you'll get control back.

Here's an article that talks about it as well.

http://edrcc.com/?p=281

I was quite amazed when I had this problem in that I'd been flying with my DX7 for over 3 years and never had a crash that I could blame on radio and then seemingly out of the blue, it happened.

jp1961 02-23-2012 02:10 PM

I don't like Specktrum radios due to the "satellite" receivers (or any other brand that uses them). Life's complicated enough!!