RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Spektrum vs. Futaba? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10970722-spektrum-vs-futaba.html)

BuschBarber 02-25-2012 06:11 PM

RE: Spektrum vs. Futaba?

HoundDog - DSMX hops between 23 channels. If DSM2 has been reliable for us locking on to just 2 channels, we can only expect continued success with DSMX. Every radio manufacturer should invest in new technology, periodically, and does. Spektrum is no exception.

HoundDog 02-25-2012 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

HoundDog - DSMX hops between 23 channels. If DSMX has been reliable for us, we can only expect continued success. Every radio manufacturer should invest in new technology, periodically, and does
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">I guess we can thank the R/C gods for that. Jan 1 I started a a map of the field and a position, Date, Pilot, Plane, and radio in vloved in a CRASH that made it impossible to fly again or would need major repair. By the 10 of janurary ther were 7 on the list and 2 I hadn't filed yet. Well that little "Record" Disappered. Found it in the trash. Guess some people don't like to be reminded That ***** happens.</span></span></span>

toywizard 02-25-2012 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: John Sohm

So let me get this straight...the guy crashes his plane, takes the airborne components out and sends them to their respective companies to have them checked over and somehow (magically most probably) one of the receiver items gets swapped? I'll admit, I've done some really stupid things in my life but never have I mixed up something I was sending to have checked out. Especially when it came out of something that was in pieces. I can see it now, OK, I'm sending in my radio, let me just swap this piece out first to mess them up when they test it and confuse the issue. Yeah right.

I don't find this to be a very responsible position for any company to take but if I might digress, I had a similar situation with the service department at Horizon back in 2009. I bought a Spektrum module with an AR7000 receiver to be used with my Futaba system. I wanted to get into flying the little BNF models that are so prevalent now. Well to make a long story short, after sending it back three times (prior to the third time, I demonstrated it to someone I know that deals with them all the time and he verified it was a problem), they replaced it and I haven't had any issues with the new one ever. But I got the same type of response when they sent the new one, we couldn't duplicate it BUT we're sending it as a gesture of good will. Then, when I finally got around to using the AR7000 receiver, it would intermittently lose bind, rather than put myself thru the hassle of dealing with this too, I just trashed it and swore off Spektrum equipment from that day on. I now own a JR 9503 and have had ZERO problems with it and I only use it for the BNF types. All my other planes are flown using Futaba.

So that's the lesson I learned. Have I crashed with Futaba? Yup, but NEVER from a radio issue.
John
YOu can fly the little back yard flyers bind and fly with your JR 9503 ? if so, I will buy one. I have several of these backyard toys like the MQX quad, Blade mcx, Walkera 400D and that is what started me towards the bind and fly stuff. Normally I run 72's with a JR XP 7202 and a Hitec Eclipse 7.
I have been comtemplating buying a DX7s to fly these with some configuring the controls. Also / or buying the new Hitec 7 Pro but if the JR 9503 will bind and fly these, that would be my best direction.
Your thoughts sir?

airraptor 02-25-2012 07:23 PM

yes the 9303 and 9503 will BND fly

toywizard 02-25-2012 07:34 PM

Way cool dude
thanks a ton.

Scott

BuschBarber 02-25-2012 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

yes the 9303 and 9503 will BND fly
Except for perhaps the early DX5 and AR6000, all JR/Spektrum radios will fly all JR/Spektrum receivers and the DSM2 knockoffs.

John Sohm 02-25-2012 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: toywizard

So let me get this straight...the guy crashes his plane, takes the airborne components out and sends them to their respective companies to have them checked over and somehow (magically most probably) one of the receiver items gets swapped? I'll admit, I've done some really stupid things in my life but never have I mixed up something I was sending to have checked out. Especially when it came out of something that was in pieces. I can see it now, OK, I'm sending in my radio, let me just swap this piece out first to mess them up when they test it and confuse the issue. Yeah right.

I don't find this to be a very responsible position for any company to take but if I might digress, I had a similar situation with the service department at Horizon back in 2009. I bought a Spektrum module with an AR7000 receiver to be used with my Futaba system. I wanted to get into flying the little BNF models that are so prevalent now. Well to make a long story short, after sending it back three times (prior to the third time, I demonstrated it to someone I know that deals with them all the time and he verified it was a problem), they replaced it and I haven't had any issues with the new one ever. But I got the same type of response when they sent the new one, we couldn't duplicate it BUT we're sending it as a gesture of good will. Then, when I finally got around to using the AR7000 receiver, it would intermittently lose bind, rather than put myself thru the hassle of dealing with this too, I just trashed it and swore off Spektrum equipment from that day on. I now own a JR 9503 and have had ZERO problems with it and I only use it for the BNF types. All my other planes are flown using Futaba.

So that's the lesson I learned. Have I crashed with Futaba? Yup, but NEVER from a radio issue.
John
YOu can fly the little back yard flyers bind and fly with your JR 9503 ? if so, I will buy one. I have several of these backyard toys like the MQX quad, Blade mcx, Walkera 400D and that is what started me towards the bind and fly stuff. Normally I run 72's with a JR XP 7202 and a Hitec Eclipse 7.
I have been comtemplating buying a DX7s to fly these with some configuring the controls. Also / or buying the new Hitec 7 Pro but if the JR 9503 will bind and fly these, that would be my best direction.
Your thoughts sir?

Yes the 9303/9503 2.4 transmitters will definitely fly the BNF models and even the OrangeRX Spektrum compatible receivers that you can get for about $6 from Hobby King. It's actually way overkill for these little stinkers but I love the feel of that radio, it has substance. It also never fails to bind and is a breeze to set up.

I was at the WRAM show today and got to look at the new Spektrum DX18 transmitter. It is pretty sweet and is due out sometime in August. I'm not one of those guys that need the bleeding edge so if I buy one, it probably won't be until next year's WRAM show or maybe near Christmas if things go good in the job search arena. I was surprised to see the DX8 transmitter alone going for only $289 at the show today. The DX7s was only $20 less. Both good deals but I'm sticking with my JR until later.

I also got to check out the new 18MZ from Futaba. Extremely cool but for me, price prohibitive. I don't have 3 big to invest in a transmitter at this time as much as I would love to. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the new transmitter from XPS but they were not in attendance.

Like I said before, the 9503 seems like a lot of overkill for bind and flys but it has a 50 model memory so you can have a ton of them ready to go and from what I saw at the show today, there are more on the way ( the micro Spitfire and a micro Mig 15 and two more I wasn't interested in, all due out by around May/June timeframe).

John Sohm 02-25-2012 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rmh

The ''FIX offered now is to increase voltage capability of servos - this allows same watts at lower amps
The battery is still the part of equasion most often misunderstood
Some cells typically older LiPos and high impedance NIMH (-there were some really terrible ones on the market) will drop multiple volts in a heartbeat when loaded .
I believe the word you're looking for is equation. I'm not picking on you but when you correct someone else's typo, you ought to make sure you have your own correct. Sorry, just one of my pet peeves.

Broken 02-25-2012 11:35 PM

To add to the conversation I have crashed one time while flying with a spektrum system. It was due to a low power situation and was completely my fault. I failed to plan for the overall power needs of the model and one day I went to lower my lado retracts and splat!

I do not blame the radio or receiver as it has requirements that I the builder did not meet. I still fly everything on spektrum but my power systems are 150% capacity to requirement. Building and flying on the margins is not an option. I believe that futaba and others are more forgiving in low power situations and that is why this debate rages on.

HoundDog 02-26-2012 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rmh

The ''FIX offered now is to increase voltage capability of servos - this allows same watts at lower amps
The battery is still the part of equasion most often misunderstood
Some cells typically older LiPos and high impedance NIMH (-there were some really terrible ones on the market) will drop multiple volts in a heartbeat when loaded .
I believe the word you're looking for is equation. I'm not picking on you but when you correct someone else's typo, you ought to make sure you have your own correct. Sorry, just one of my pet peeves.
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: small;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">Hey thar Johnny Boy ... My's Ken-tuc-key Kee board thanks ya fers stikken up fer us liks that's. Butts we's beleafs O'l rmh waas just's tryn hissen levl best ta bee's helpen usen Hills folk widd ours spllen. Wee's finnly grd-u-ated out's a the 3rd grad so's wee's suppoin to bee's mo liter-8 I'm a gussen.</span></span></span>

NJRCFLYER2 02-26-2012 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

<span><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="color: rgb(0,0,0)">Why in the world do Spectrum Systems still come with 4.8 volt battery packs when everyone knows they require 6 volt packs with lots of MAH's and in some cases High Output depending on the other installed equipment ... I Just don't under stand Spectrum's Marketing straggly. Seems they would have enough problems with the fact that DSM2 is flawed and they persist on making it retor to the 8's
<span style="font-size: x-small"><span style="color: rgb(255,0,0)">Now don't get mad just because you refuse to see reality.it took XPS a lot longer to dump their first 2 implitations of 2.4</span></span>
</span></span></span>
I'm suprised that anyone expects that a receiver battery that is packaged in any brand/model radio is intended for anything much more than making sure it works when you first get it home. Unless you're popping the radio into a trainer or small, simplesport plane, in which case the 4.8V battery that Spektrumprovides is adequate, you are by definition required to understand the power requirements in detail and provide the appropriate power source yourself. The same is true for servos that might be provided with a radio purchase. They're not good for every possible application, just some applications.

MarksHangar 02-26-2012 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Keep in mind planes crash with futaba gear too.

<span style="font-size: 9pt">WOW!!!! That's right up there with the drunk who tells the judge in court.... "sober people have accidents too!"

</span>

BuschBarber 02-26-2012 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

<span><span style=''font-size: medium''><span style=''color: rgb(0,0,0)''>Why in the world do Spectrum Systems still come with 4.8 volt battery packs when everyone knows they require 6 volt packs with lots of MAH's and in some cases High Output depending on the other installed equipment ... I Just don't under stand Spectrum's Marketing straggly. Seems they would have enough problems with the fact that DSM2 is flawed and they persist on making it retor to the 8's                                                                                                               Â
 <span style=''font-size: x-small''><span style=''color: rgb(255,0,0)''>Now don't get mad just because you refuse to see reality.it took XPS a lot longer to dump their first 2 implitations of 2.4</span></span>
</span></span></span>
I'm suprised that anyone expects that a receiver battery that is packaged in any brand/model radio is intended for anything much more than making sure it works when you first get it home. Unless you're popping the radio into a trainer or small, simple sport plane, in which case the 4.8V battery that Spektrum provides is adequate, you are by definition required to understand the power requirements in detail and provide the appropriate power source yourself. The same is true for servos that might be provided with a radio purchase. They're not good for every possible application, just some applications.
There is a trend these days to sell the Transmitter and Receiver only and leave the choice of Rx battery, Switch Harness, and servos up to the buyer. I think this is a good idea.

HoundDog 02-26-2012 08:32 AM

<span><span style="font-size: medium"><span style="color: rgb(0,0,0)">Why in the world do Spectrum Systems still come with 4.8 volt battery packs when everyone knows they require 6 volt packs with lots of MAH's and in some cases High Output depending on the other installed equipment ... I Just don't under stand Spectrum's Marketing straggly. Seems they would have enough problems with the fact that DSM2 is flawed and they persist on making it retor to the 8's
<span style="font-size: x-small"><span style="color: rgb(255,0,0)">Now don't get mad just because you refuse to see reality.it took XPS a lot longer to dump their first 2 implitations of 2.4</span></span>
</span></span></span>
I'm suprised that anyone expects that a receiver battery that is packaged in any brand/model radio is intended for anything much more than making sure it works when you first get it home. Unless you're popping the radio into a trainer or small, simplesport plane, in which case the 4.8V battery that Spektrumprovides is adequate, you are by definition required to understand the power requirements in detail and provide the appropriate power source yourself. The same is true for servos that might be provided with a radio purchase. They're not good for every possible application, just some applications.
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Spectrum 5,6&amp;7's are for neophites</span></span></span>. <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Heck they come with Xmitter batteries not included. One has to supply their own Alkalin Batteries. Now how do U expect a beginner to know the suppiled equipment is
"SUB Standered".? OH ya it's CHEEP. and it's a Sub Standerd, Out Dateed System</span></span></span>, That even Sprectum has given up on. <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">oops there I gone and did it again, Tell the truth. No one in this forum likes the TRUTH much.</span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">sorry!</span></span></span>

BuschBarber 02-26-2012 08:50 AM

<span><span style=''font-size: medium''><span style=''color: rgb(0,0,0)''>Why in the world do Spectrum Systems still come with 4.8 volt battery packs when everyone knows they require 6 volt packs with lots of MAH's and in some cases High Output depending on the other installed equipment ... I Just don't under stand Spectrum's Marketing straggly. Seems they would have enough problems with the fact that DSM2 is flawed and they persist on making it retor to the 8's                                                                                                               Â
 <span style=''font-size: x-small''><span style=''color: rgb(255,0,0)''>Now don't get mad just because you refuse to see reality.it took XPS a lot longer to dump their first 2 implitations of 2.4</span></span>
</span></span></span>
I'm suprised that anyone expects that a receiver battery that is packaged in any brand/model radio is intended for anything much more than making sure it works when you first get it home. Unless you're popping the radio into a trainer or small, simple sport plane, in which case the 4.8V battery that Spektrum provides is adequate, you are by definition required to understand the power requirements in detail and provide the appropriate power source yourself. The same is true for servos that might be provided with a radio purchase. They're not good for every possible application, just some applications.
<span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: medium;''><span style=''color: rgb(0, 0, 0);''>Spectrum 5,6&7's are for neophites</span></span></span>. <span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: medium;''><span style=''color: rgb(0, 0, 0);''>Heck they come with Xmitter batteries not included. One has to supply their own Alkalin Batteries. Now how do U expect a beginner to know the suppiled equipment is
''SUB Standered''.? OH ya it's CHEEP. and it's a Sub Standerd, Out Dateed System</span></span></span>, That even Sprectum has given up on.   <span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: x-small;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>oops there I gone and did it again, Tell the truth. No one in this forum likes the TRUTH much.</span></span></span>  <span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: xx-small;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>sorry!</span></span></span>

I hear Banjo music!! Paddle faster!!

Rob2160 02-26-2012 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: dsair

I have one word to solve radio problems FUTABA.
I admire your blind faith optimism . .

Perhaps you don't know about the zero GUID problem with futaba or the overheating receivers. .

Yes people crash with Futaba also.

Read below. . .

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/rcupdate.shtml

Mr.GFC 02-26-2012 10:29 AM

Everyone wants to bag and tag Spektrum as being a crappy system.

Yes, I know this is my first post on this website.

That being said, here's my 2 cents worth. I was out of the hobby for around 20 years and have just recently gotten back in. I started searching the Internet for info on all the new radio equipment. What's best, who's on top.... etc...

Simple fact of the matter is, if you have a brownout, it's got nothing to do with the receiver. It's the battery. If the battery doesn't have enough juice to run your electronics, then get a better battery.

Loss of signal: If your losing signal, it's usually in where you have your antenna run. What do you have around it that can block the signal from the radio?

Everyone that slams DX's by Spextrum, well, your just brand loyal. Every brand has its good/bad sides to it. Both sides come out to what the pilot wants to do with their plane. If you look, you can find just as much to slam Futaba, as you can DX.

Personally, I've got a DX8. I've flown my planes as fare out as I can see them and still maintain orientation with them. A few of them, using the off-brand receiver from HobbyKing.com  and I have yet to crash and burn due to a brownout or loss of signal and I know that I'm flying the planes well over 1,500' from where I stand. (How? google maps, measuring from where I launched, to where I landed it (still under control) and then took off, to land at launch.

Most of the pilots where I fly use Futaba. I've watched them struggle with getting the receivers to bind because of other Futaba radios being on. Yet in every instance where a DX radio was being bound to a receiver, there was instant binding. I've also sat and watched them play with getting the servos and batteries plugged in to the right number by trial and error because Futaba doesn't mark their receivers other than 1,2,3,etc... where DX's are by name.... Bind, Battery, Elev., Stab., etc...  Yes, once you know the channel number, it should be fairly easy to remember.

But every make of RC radio has its good points and bad points. To say anything different is just being stubborn and/or brand loyal. Choose the system that works best for your needs. Determine what you want to do and where you might go in the future and select the radio that fills those needs. With everything that's available today, it ain't that hard to do. Just make sure that you have the right electronics for what your using... i.e. if your flying a glider with no motor, do you need a BEC, or is your battery small enough in Volts to be able to supply the servos with the range they need. Most receivers can handle more voltage than servos and it'll pass that same voltage right to them. While they might not burn up, you can be right at the edge where the motor will be eating gears  because it's over-torquing.

I chose the DX8 because of the features that it has that makes it simple for me to use. I was able to switch it to a MOD3, update it through the SIM card, I like the way the radio is programmable without having to screw with so many menus. Also, since I pretty much have to buy from hobbyking, the fact that I can get the Off-brand Spectrum receivers for less than 25% of the cost of buying them from a dealer... not to mention the fact that even the extended battery is available through them.

Living in Lima, Peru, I have limited access to what you have in  the states or UK. This also effected my choice of radio systems. But having seen the struggling that pretty much every Futaba user here goes through, I can say that I am glad I purchased the DX8 and will be buying one for my son in the very near future.

The fact is, every radio system has its pro's and con's. None are above the other to any true measurable degree excluding what they are setup for. One brand may have more pre-sets for gliders but not that many for V-Tails, while another system is the opposite. This can be said  for any system.  It's what you want to/plane to fly that determines the radio, because when it comes to those features, thats where the difference is. One brand is better suited for one or two types of flying, but not all of them.

Mikecam 02-26-2012 10:31 AM

The Futaba Service Bulletin recently issued by Futaba on possible lack of unique binding code in some 2.4 GHZ system models 6EX, 7C, and TM-7 was updated on Jan 30, 2008. Further info at:

Futaba Service Center 217 398-0007

Love how you pull up a Futaba issue from going on 5 years ago. :D

The heat issue was from users letting their Rx get to 120f. Let your under canopy electronics bake and stuff happens. It was corrected though. The heat thing was surpassed by the testing of the dms lock in 2 channel stuff that we still here about today. Don't forget that Futaba even with those problems are still using the original fasst protocol. Spektrum is now on it's, what 3rd protocol or is it the 4th. :)

That old adage, "if it ain't broke why fix it" comes to mind. :D:D

blhollo2 02-26-2012 10:31 AM

Give it a rest...long live futaba lol

Mikecam 02-26-2012 10:41 AM

Most of the pilots where I fly use Futaba. I've watched them struggle with getting the receivers to bind because of other Futaba radios being on. Yet in every instance where a DX radio was being bound to a receiver, there was instant binding. I've also sat and watched them play with getting the servos and batteries plugged in to the right number by trial and error because Futaba doesn't mark their receivers other than 1,2,3,etc... where DX's are by name.... Bind, Battery, Elev., Stab., etc... Yes, once you know the channel number, it should be fairly easy to remember.

I bind my Futaba Rx's at home when I first buy them, just sitting in the box, no need to be even hooked to a servo. Once bound no need to try again. I think your getting those mixed up with that other brand that needs to be re-bound every time something changes. :)

The idea about having numbers makes sense when your changing stuff around. I always loved when someone said all you have to do is plug your aileron #2 into the gear channel.:D

DougV 02-26-2012 11:58 AM

"Most of the pilots where I fly use Futaba. I've watched them struggle with getting the receivers to bind because of other Futaba radios being on. Yet in every instance where a DX radio was being bound to a receiver, there was instant binding. I've also sat and watched them play with getting the servos and batteries plugged in to the right number by trial and error because Futaba doesn't mark their receivers other than 1,2,3,etc... where DX's are by name.... Bind, Battery, Elev., Stab., etc... Yes, once you know the channel number, it should be fairly easy to remember."

Mr GFC,

Futaba will not mark the receiver slots because with futaba radio you can assign any function to any switch or to any CHANNEL. Example:
4 aileron servos, you can use the radio's default channels or you just plug them to channel 1,2,3 and 4 if you want by using the function menu.

We have lots of futaba sets where I fly at, never seen an issue Linking (not binding) a receiver.

Doug.

Rob2160 02-26-2012 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: fragile

SPEKTRUM AD :

''DSM IS THE 2.4GHz TECHNOLOGY THAT'S HERE TO STAY AND THE ONE TO BEAT.''

What happened? Is this a fiascko or ''just a load of B.S.''?</p>
<span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''><span style=''font-size: xx-large;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>You are absolutly right DSM2 is
B.S.
Now DSMX is Hopping that's an
Enterily different Story.
<span style=''font-size: x-small;''>DSM2 old Techonolegy and is good for maken smok'en Holes</span></span></span></span><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>

</span></span>

Do you dislike DSM2 because it locks onto two channels. ?

It searches for the two clearest channels first. . .

By that logic, any old technology FM radio must be inferior as it locks onto 1 channel

In 33 years of flying RC the Only radio induced crash was with... A FUTABA 4ch AM radio when another club member turned on his radio beside me. . .

Two channels are better than one. .

Hopping is better than two channels. . . Thank god for progress

I dont worry about my old black and white television , nor do i feel cheated for buying a colour set in 1975 . . . It worked as advertised.

I am happier with My flatscreen LCD tv. . .

I just cant see how people say dsm to dsm2 to dsmx is a 'fiasco"

What about the Fiasco in the computer world. . . . 386 to 486 to pentium to pentiuum 2 etc etc. . .

Wow Intel is a really bad company for always re inventing and improvng their product. . .

I want my money back because my 386 wont run windows 7

Seriously guys. . . Are you seriuosly complaining about a company making improvement?

PS. 15 years ago the internet was fairly new. . . And mainly for geeks.

I am making these posts from an ipad 2 connected to wi fi onboard an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Tucson. . . And it just cost 5 bucks for onboard

Bring on DSMX 2 and I'll upgrade.

Rob2160 02-26-2012 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Broken

To add to the conversation I have crashed one time while flying with a spektrum system. It was due to a low power situation and was completely my fault. I failed to plan for the overall power needs of the model and one day I went to lower my lado retracts and splat!

I do not blame the radio or receiver as it has requirements that I the builder did not meet. I still fly everything on spektrum but my power systems are 150% capacity to requirement. Building and flying on the margins is not an option. I believe that futaba and others are more forgiving in low power situations and that is why this debate rages on.

Now this is the most sensible post I have read in this thread so far. . .

Yes i ageee. Spektrum has brown out problems? Really?

Not if you use good batteries, adequate BECs or sufficiently capable esc/bec combos. . .

5000 flights on spektrum gear and not a single brownout. . Even when i Deliberatley tried to cause them by flying my planes until the motors literally stopped in flight. . . . There was still full control of the radio allowing me to land safely. .

I did my own testing of spektrum and all i can say is that if your voltage in the airborne system is dropping below the brownout threshold of around 3.7 volts you need better batteries/becs

I have a digital camera. . . If i put flat nimh batteries it will lock up mid photo..

Same if i use cheap dry cells. . .

Using good quality litihium cells or fully charged batteries and it works as advertised. . .

If your cellphone battery runs low mid call and drops out. . . Is that a design flaw in your phone?

Power spektrum receivers correctly aand you WONT get brownouts, . L

Mikecam 02-26-2012 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: fragile

SPEKTRUM AD :

''DSM IS THE 2.4GHz TECHNOLOGY THAT'S HERE TO STAY AND THE ONE TO BEAT.''

What happened? Is this a fiascko or ''just a load of B.S.''?</p>
<span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''><span style=''font-size: xx-large;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>You are absolutly right DSM2 is
B.S.
Now DSMX is Hopping that's an
Enterily different Story.
<span style=''font-size: x-small;''>DSM2 old Techonolegy and is good for maken smok'en Holes</span></span></span></span><span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>

</span></span>

Hopping is better than two channels. . . Thank god for progress

I dont worry about my old black and white television , nor do i feel cheated for buying a colour set in 1975 . . . It worked as advertised.

I am happier with My flatscreen LCD tv. . .

I just cant see how people say dsm to dsm2 to dsmx is a 'fiasco''

What about the Fiasco in the computer world. . . . 386 to 486 to pentium to pentiuum 2 etc etc. . .

Wow Intel is a really bad company for always re inventing and improvng their product. . .

I want my money back because my 386 wont run windows 7

Seriously guys. . . Are you seriuosly complaining about a company making improvement?

The difference is the black and white TV companys are not telling you to keep buying their TV's because they are better then color TV's. :D

Rob2160 02-26-2012 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr.GFC

Everyone wants to bag and tag Spektrum as being a crappy system.

Yes, I know this is my first post on this website.

That being said, here's my 2 cents worth. I was out of the hobby for around 20 years and have just recently gotten back in. I started searching the Internet for info on all the new radio equipment. What's best, who's on top.... etc...

Simple fact of the matter is, if you have a brownout, it's got nothing to do with the receiver. It's the battery. If the battery doesn't have enough juice to run your electronics, then get a better battery.

Loss of signal: If your losing signal, it's usually in where you have your antenna run. What do you have around it that can block the signal from the radio?

Everyone that slams DX's by Spextrum, well, your just brand loyal. Every brand has its good/bad sides to it. Both sides come out to what the pilot wants to do with their plane. If you look, you can find just as much to slam Futaba, as you can DX.

Personally, I've got a DX8. I've flown my planes as fare out as I can see them and still maintain orientation with them. A few of them, using the off-brand receiver from HobbyKing.com and I have yet to crash and burn due to a brownout or loss of signal and I know that I'm flying the planes well over 1,500' from where I stand. (How? google maps, measuring from where I launched, to where I landed it (still under control) and then took off, to land at launch.

Most of the pilots where I fly use Futaba. I've watched them struggle with getting the receivers to bind because of other Futaba radios being on. Yet in every instance where a DX radio was being bound to a receiver, there was instant binding. I've also sat and watched them play with getting the servos and batteries plugged in to the right number by trial and error because Futaba doesn't mark their receivers other than 1,2,3,etc... where DX's are by name.... Bind, Battery, Elev., Stab., etc... Yes, once you know the channel number, it should be fairly easy to remember.

But every make of RC radio has its good points and bad points. To say anything different is just being stubborn and/or brand loyal. Choose the system that works best for your needs. Determine what you want to do and where you might go in the future and select the radio that fills those needs. With everything that's available today, it ain't that hard to do. Just make sure that you have the right electronics for what your using... i.e. if your flying a glider with no motor, do you need a BEC, or is your battery small enough in Volts to be able to supply the servos with the range they need. Most receivers can handle more voltage than servos and it'll pass that same voltage right to them. While they might not burn up, you can be right at the edge where the motor will be eating gears because it's over-torquing.

I chose the DX8 because of the features that it has that makes it simple for me to use. I was able to switch it to a MOD3, update it through the SIM card, I like the way the radio is programmable without having to screw with so many menus. Also, since I pretty much have to buy from hobbyking, the fact that I can get the Off-brand Spectrum receivers for less than 25% of the cost of buying them from a dealer... not to mention the fact that even the extended battery is available through them.

Living in Lima, Peru, I have limited access to what you have in the states or UK. This also effected my choice of radio systems. But having seen the struggling that pretty much every Futaba user here goes through, I can say that I am glad I purchased the DX8 and will be buying one for my son in the very near future.

The fact is, every radio system has its pro's and con's. None are above the other to any true measurable degree excluding what they are setup for. One brand may have more pre-sets for gliders but not that many for V-Tails, while another system is the opposite. This can be said for any system. It's what you want to/plane to fly that determines the radio, because when it comes to those features, thats where the difference is. One brand is better suited for one or two types of flying, but not all of them.

Your first post is sensible, informed, intelligent and well considered. . .

I think you are in the wrong thread. . . ..

Seriously . i totally agree with everything you said.