RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Spektrum range issue or just outdated info? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10983954-spektrum-range-issue-just-outdated-info.html)

Elwood 03-02-2012 10:27 AM

Spektrum range issue or just outdated info?

I am looking at the Spektrum dx7s. There are a lot of posts on the internet stating that Spektrum has less range then Futaba. Is this old information? I will be flying outdoors.

Thanks!

A.T. 03-02-2012 11:16 AM

RE: Spektrum range issue or just outdated info?

ORIGINAL: Elwood I am looking at the Spektrum dx7s. There are a lot of posts on the internet stating that Spektrum has less range then Futaba. Is this old information? I will be flying outdoors. Thanks!
Majority of range issues relate to user using the wrong receiver for the job, some JR/Spektrum test
with greater range than some Futaba receivers..
There are full range receivers, park flier receivers and receivers for indoor only, but some buy
the cheapest or clones and expect miracles.

<dt>. Receiver - Operating Range - Full vs ParkFlyer vs Backyard. </dt><dt>. Range Test - Comparative Range Test data on multiple systems </dt><dt>. Range of Transmitter and Receiver

more under sub section:
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.</p></dt>

Elwood 03-02-2012 01:42 PM

Thanks Alan, that was a very informative answer. I will be sure to take your info into consideration regarding the park flyer receivers. The spektrum it is!

chuckk2 03-06-2012 11:18 PM

I cannot comment on Spectra vs Futaba range. What I will say is based upon over twenty years of experience with microwave systems of various kinds used by the military and others, and 2.4Ghz is actually towards the lower end of the frequency range that I worked with.

What I would say is that there is often quite a difference in sensitivity from one receiver to another, even with fairly narrow final test requirements/specifications.

An example might have been an F-15 in the later 1970s, and it's detection range for missile related radar. We found that the specs allowed quite a variance in actual detection and identification range.
There was about a two or three to one variance between the most sensitive receiver and the least sensitive, although the least sensitive was well within tested limits.
Some of reasons for the difference boiled down to component tolerance of solid state parts, such as diodes. Others were due to connector, cable, antenna, and waveguide tolerances. Even a "bug splat" on an antenna might make a significant difference. I retired in about 2005, so I've not kept up with the most recent advances.

In a very few cases, depending on receiver design and other factors, the most sensitive receiver may not be the most reliable, just as the least sensitive unit might cause problems.
The most sensitive unit might be subject to overload from strong interference, and the least sensitive unit work well, as an example of the perversity of electronic systems and microwave frequency operation.

Killer RC 03-08-2012 09:55 AM

Depends what vehicle you are using it on. I have found that Spektrums do not like the EMI from the ignition system of 2-cycle gas engines. I'd stick with Futaba; they can withstand high electrical noise environments better.

DadsToysBG 03-08-2012 10:03 AM

That statement about Spektrum and EMI is truly an example of not understanding what freq. EMI is and 2.4. I will not get into a shooting match except to say any 2.4 is good with EMI. Dennis

rmh 03-08-2012 04:46 PM

The dis- information and incorrect info re 2.4 persists
Basically ALL the 2. 4 stuf works the same way.
I have yet to see interferrence on 2.4 from an ignition setup.
but then All the setups I see are in good working order
Futaba / Spektrum- make no difference
From day one - we have pounded the following message into all new 2.4 users
The battery must be able to handle the loads of the servos-or you may crash
The effect of load on receiver operation is completely different between discreet frequency radios ( 72/50 mhz etc) and spread spectrum
There are NO magic circuits no matte what adv BS you may read.
None - Zip - Nada - Nix - Nyet

Mikecam 03-09-2012 06:53 AM

Spektrum DX7 is pretty much an indoor radio and then only if your flying by yourself. Sorry it made me laugh when I thought about it. :D

With a little research the answer will come to you. ;)

BuschBarber 03-09-2012 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Spektrum DX7 is pretty much an indoor radio and then only if your flying by yourself. Sorry it made me laugh when I thought about it. :D

With a little research the answer will come to you. ;)
I have dozens of fellow club members who have and still use the DX7 for a range of aircraft from Turbine Jets to light Foamies.

Your statement is Bogus.

DougV 03-09-2012 08:08 AM

Mike,

I fly at 3 different airfields, and never seen an RF link issue with Spektrum or FASST, I've seen lots of crashes with these systems, but never RF related.

Doug.

carrellh 03-09-2012 09:03 AM

I think Alan's links provide good info.

It does not surprise me that some systems in the tests had more range than others or that different systems from the same manufacturer showed variations.

It would surprise me if any system labeled "full range" (properly installed) was insufficient to control your outdoor models since we are supposed to keep them close enough that we can see them without binoculars or telescopes.