RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba FASST vs FHSS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11104181-futaba-fasst-vs-fhss.html)

TimBle 06-14-2012 12:05 AM

RE: Futaba FASST vs FHSS

ORIGINAL: rmh

Who is following Futaba?
DMSS , DSMX

The Frsky I have evaluated is sold as a module for Futabaor JR txs -60 mw output -3072 resolution- It is very inexpensive but appears solid at extended ranges
As for "high noise areas"- that is quite subjective -how do you measure it?
Range test under high noise environment using a spectrum analyser, the one Horizon offers to dealers to check for signal to noise ratio.

Futaba introduced their newer systems to enable them to enter more of the market -and it appears to me the system works very well
I have seen holds on the latest most expensive FAAST- -no crashes bu tdefinate holds - I suspect the rx/ antenna setup in this instance.
Bottom line - I see NO provable ,effective range of operation differences in the most expensive or some (FrSKY in particular) inexpensive sets

My personal choice is Spektrum- and that is based on their features line up.
If I suspected the range/signal was marginal -I would not use it.
However having used it since it's introduction- I find no such issue.

Quite interesting the moment a radio thread pops up you pop in tell us what you're using. No one asked you and your choice clearly has nothing to do with the thread. Fanboy
<br type="_moz" />

rmh 06-14-2012 04:43 AM

Back to the old "fanboy" answer?
I hoped you had some proof of superior performance to offer .

Four Stroker 06-14-2012 06:11 AM

Why do you think FHSS does not have (packet) error correction ? I assume the protocol is a proprietary secret. Of course, someone will clone it soon enough.

FASST has been tested in the EU up to 5 Km. I can only see about 300 m.

FASSTest is just bi-directional FASST like S.Bus2 is just bi-directional S.Bus. Of course, there are some more control bits. I am going to buy the 16Z or whatever because I want the telemetry.

Dick is a Spektrum troll. Everyone knows that. His initial points were valid.

rmh 06-14-2012 06:25 AM

From one troll to another - I said nothing deprecating about any systems -contrary to opinions expressed by some .
I simply do not believe there is any range advantage amongst any of the systems
The various communication regulators control that .
When I see claims which appear invalid -I want to find the origin of them

GerKonig 06-14-2012 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Well said, TimBle.

The price is held down by reducing the sophistication.

You make a good point, but the million dollar question really is: Do we need this additional sophistication that adds to the cost? Becuse if we do not, well then it is adding unnecessarily to the cost...

Apparently the feedback on the cheaper 6 an 8 channel Futabas has been very good. I really do not care if one system allows me to fly one mile out, because I could not control the model anyway at that distance...

I guess time will tell how popular those 2 Futaba models will get, and that will decide the fate of the particular system line...

Gerry

rmh 06-14-2012 08:40 AM

sophistication ( another word for exrta baggage)is common in technical enterprises where the mfgr attempts to gain some real or imagined edge on competition .
Real world experiences quickly show what does and does not count-
I really expect to see no real range issues with the newer protocol.

TimBle 06-14-2012 08:52 AM

No one suggests a range "Issue". AS has been mentioned previously, all the systems have enough range to satisfy all users.<div>The range or signal strength and receiver sensitivity becomes a benefit in a really noisy environment. The extra Tx power or Rx sensitivity manifests itself as range under ideal conditions or clarity of reception under noisy environments. You either chose to have that or you decide that what the cheaper system provides is adequate to your needs.</div><div>
</div><div>In a moment or two rmh will introduce Splektrum to the discussion once again.</div><div>
</div><div>You want proof then go and book a RF and emi noise chamber for a day. Thats the only way you get conclusive proof. SOmeone on another forum found information of Rx sentivity and the FASST Rx all seemed to be -98db vs -93 to -96db for others. May not seem like much but its a log scale so it represents significant difference in sensitivity. I've not seen anything on FHSS/S-FHSS but I'm sure its in the -93 to -96db range as well hence Futaba calling them full range but also differentiating them from FASST.</div><div>Either system will work. I gave my choice</div>

GerKonig 06-14-2012 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

No one suggests a range ''Issue''. AS has been mentioned previously, all the systems have enough range to satisfy all users.<div>The range or signal strength and receiver sensitivity becomes a benefit in a really noisy environment. The extra Tx power or Rx sensitivity manifests itself as range under ideal conditions or clarity of reception under noisy environments. You either chose to have that or you decide that what the cheaper system provides is adequate to your needs.</div><div>
</div><div>In a moment or two rmh will introduce Splektrum to the discussion once again.</div><div>
</div><div>You want proof then go and book a RF and emi noise chamber for a day. Thats the only way you get conclusive proof. SOmeone on another forum found information of Rx sentivity and the FASST Rx all seemed to be -98db vs -93 to -96db for others. May not seem like much but its a log scale so it represents significant difference in sensitivity. I've not seen anything on FHSS/S-FHSS but I'm sure its in the -93 to -96db range as well hence Futaba calling them full range but also differentiating them from FASST.</div><div>Either system will work. I gave my choice</div>

I understand your point. and you can rent a chamber and see the behavior under a controlled noise situation. It will not help me at all because I have no clue what the noise looks at my place or at the fields I fly. Ideally one would have then to measure the noise at the fun fly (each of them) to really know where we are standing...

One would imagine that the noise, if you go to a WOD with hundred of pilots potentially turning on and off their radios to check things before going in line to access the field, is much more than at my field where rarely we see more than 8/12 pilots.

Gerry

cloudancer03 06-14-2012 10:03 AM

as I sit here fresh from my knees surgery this am I saw the post and thought not another fasst vs.spectrum carping..but I actually didnt know the new 8J futaba was FHSS.no wonder its cheaper..I have 2 fasst 7c radios after a fisaco with spectrum a few years back I was thinking of a new 8ch.futaba but only if its fasst.speaking only for myself I have never had a single signal failure with futaba.my reason for a new 8 or 10 channel is that I fly gas along with my electrics and and can definitely benefit from having one more active channel with my 30cc plane..
thanks for the info.I didnt read the fine print..

TimBle 06-14-2012 10:05 AM

yes and no.<div>
</div><div>Theres other noise that can swamp the Tx signal. These become more of an issue the further we get away from the Tx. At a large fly in we're actually pretty safe from a noise perspective as long as your Rx can see the Tx signal clearly</div>

rmh 06-14-2012 11:31 AM

You may want to clarify which types of noises and why you can buy radios which differentiate .
You can't ?
sorry -

TimBle 06-14-2012 01:19 PM

Unlike you, I don;t need dazzle the audience with technical jargon that clouds the issue. They know what band the radio works in.

rmh 06-14-2012 02:26 PM

You dazzled me with that answer -
explanations do not cloud issues .

Champ-RCU 06-14-2012 05:19 PM

OK, I have question. Hopefully it won't take renting a special room or doing any high math. These transmitters come with no batteries. And looks as though they want you to use individual alkaline cells to power the transmitter. I for some reason would like to use rechargable NiCads or Ni MH or lipo with a regulator to power the transmitter. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Are all of you using these radios using the alkaline batteries. what are you using, are there advantages to one over the other.

Thanks for all opinions and responses.

Cheers,

Mark

rmh 06-14-2012 06:28 PM

Which radios would you be describing?

GerKonig 06-14-2012 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rmh

Which radios would you be describing?

The 8 channel cheaper Futaba TX has no batteries, and of course no charger. I just checked at tower...

REQUIRES: Four AA batteries for transmitter
Servos of modeler's choice

Interesting (or surprising), it calls for only 4 AA batteries... I wonder if pne can use a 2 cell life battery here...

Gerry

Champ-RCU 06-14-2012 07:06 PM

Both the 6 J and 8J call for 4 dry cell batteries. In the manual they suggest that a 5 cell rechargable battery can be used. However I can find no info on a battery that would fit in the available space. So just wondering, what are other users of these transmitters using to power them. I have a 6J and I'm using the dry cell batteries. For some reason I'm not real crazy about the use of alkaline batteries. Me thinks it has to go back to my first radio in 72, which was a 2 channel brick radio from Kraft. Occasionally corrosion caused problems.

Hope this helps.

Mark

TimBle 06-14-2012 09:59 PM

6J and 8J use a flat 5 pack 5 cell NiMH rechargable battery pack.<div>Futaba part number:</div><div>
</div><div><span style="font-size: 18px; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-weight: bold; font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; " class="subhead01">Optional Accessories</span><br style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "/><b style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">FUTM1473[/b]<span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "> Futaba HT5F1700B NiMH 5C 6V Tx Battery</span><br style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "/><b style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">FUTM1832[/b]<span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "> Futaba HBC3B(4) Charger 4PK/4PKS</span><br style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "/><b style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">TACJ2000[/b]<span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; "> Tactic AnyLink 2.4GHz Radio Adapter </span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">It uses </span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">4xAA size Alkaline or lithium non rechargable 1.5V cells</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">5cell NiMH rechargable pack at 1.2V per cell nominal (hence 6V)</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">A 2S LiFe will not fit in the battery bay. I tried a Hyperion 1100mA.hr only one thats small enough I could find. Its too thick.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; ">The packs Futaba uses show very little self discharge. Perhaps not as good as ENELOOP but better than the cheap chinese packs you can buy for $10</span></div>

rmh 06-15-2012 03:38 AM

Don't compare battery requirements for new design 2.4 systems to the tx which typically used 8 AA cells.
The new stuf uses technololy which is far removed from the earlier stuff and the voltages and current are far far lower .
It seems strange but we now have tx which have far mor processing potential yet use far less power
On the other hand- The rx use MORE power.
I deliberately left a Spektrum 8 channel rx on overnight - and the battery (A123 1100ma) was down over 800ma the next day
try it -
battery power is all that keeps these things going - it is worth checking out how it all works.

Gypsy56 06-15-2012 06:57 AM

I've been using standard alkaline AAs in my 6J, no problems and they last a long time. (still on the same batts since November)
I AM a little concerned to find out that the 6J has lower power output. I'm wondering how that will effect me if I tried to use this system for one of my sailplanes!

Ed

TimBle 06-15-2012 08:26 AM

well how far away do you intend to fly those sailplanes...?<div>
</div><div>Ignore the post by rmh above. Its only purpose is to mention Spek once again in this Futaba FHSS/S-FHSS thread</div>

rmh 06-15-2012 09:13 AM

I mentioned the reciever only to note typical rx discharge
Just part of 2.4 technology -
Perhaps someday you will understand more about it.

TimBle 06-15-2012 10:49 AM

its a common fact that 2.4 uses less current than those radio's operating in the Mhz range. What did your grandios display of common knowledge bring to the question of what battery is required for the 6J and 8J? yip nothing...

Champ-RCU 06-15-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks TimBle for the info. Where did you find that information?

Also thanks rmh. I am under the impression that you wanted to show that lower power requirements of the 2.4 technology.

Gypsy56, I have the same concern. Let us know if you find the limit :D

Thanks,

Mark

rmh 06-15-2012 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Champ-RCU

Thanks TimBle for the info. Where did you find that information?

Also thanks rmh. I am under the impression that you wanted to show that lower power requirements of the 2.4 technology.

Gypsy56, I have the same concern. Let us know if you find the limit :D

Thanks,

Mark
I guess I use much different type equipment - The 2.4 rx I have seen use anywhere from 30- 100ma power and the 72 mhz use 10-15 ma in some cases
add in telemetry and req increases . I was noting the current draw of rx .
40 ma is pretty typical for a 2.4 rx .