RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   which servo tester to get...... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11130463-servo-tester-get.html)

countilaw 06-24-2012 07:02 PM

which servo tester to get......

I am thinking about getting a servo tester. I've never used one before, really never thought I needed one and still don't. I've always just plugged my servos into the receiver and adjusted with the transmitter. But, I was thinking about getting one and have found many different types available.

Most of my servos are Hitec 425BB, Jr sport, futaba 3003, and a few micro. All are analog.

What are some of the advantages of having a tester?

Frank

BuschBarber 06-25-2012 04:04 AM

RE: which servo tester to get......

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I am thinking about getting a servo tester. I've never used one before, really never thought I needed one and still don't. I've always just plugged my servos into the receiver and adjusted with the transmitter. But, I was thinking about getting one and have found many different types available.

Most of my servos are Hitec 425BB, Jr sport, futaba 3003, and a few micro. All are analog.

Frank

I bought a Turnigy Servo Tester from Hobby King. It has 3 modes that you change by pressing a Button:

Manual (via a knob)
Auto Exercize
Neutral

The Neutral is nice because you can connect up to 3 servos, set the Tester to Neutral, and all the servos go to Neutral. You can then center the Servo Arms and then install in the aircraft. It requires a 4.8v or 6v battery. You can also connect an ESC to it just to test it's operation.

countilaw 06-25-2012 05:35 AM

Is there anything other than Hobby King. I just do not trust dealing with them. I've heard too many horror stories of getting items that don't work, terrible shipping times and absolutely no customer service. There has to be another provider.

What are the advantages of using a servo tester? Is it really better than just hooking your servo to the receiver and using the Tx.

Frank

prichiuso 06-25-2012 06:07 AM

The best servo tester is the GWS. It has a pulse width readout. It also has seven functions including an optical tachometer. You can also hook it up to your receiver and see what signal the transmitter is putting out on each channel. Anyone who is serious about R/C should have a servo tester. I have bought lots of stuff from Hobby King and have never had a problem. Just don't buy LiPo batteries from overseas because they can't be shipped by air. There are other, simpler servo testers but they don't have the features of the GWS. FMA makes a servo tester with a pulse width readout, but it does not have a dial for the pulse width control. It uses buttons to adjust the pulse width. I have one but I seldom use it since the GWS tester is better (and cheaper). The simplest testers just have a dial. They're good for just testing servos and ESCs, but they don't provide any data.

prichiuso 06-25-2012 06:58 AM

Just following up on that servo tester. Here it is from Hobby King: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...to_select.html

It's also available from BP Hobbies (in US):http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D0736126

But both places are currently out of stock.

Herbs_007 06-25-2012 02:27 PM

Have had 2 of the "Turnigy" servo centerers/testers and they are useless. I replaced the first because i thought it was a bad one, it wasnt they are all bad. Basically plug in servo and center it, contect push rod, then when you go to bind RX all servo's arent centered? Its okay to test but dont use it to center.

exeter_acres 06-25-2012 02:44 PM

Frank

why do you feel you need one?

BuschBarber 06-25-2012 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Herbs_007

Have had 2 of the ''Turnigy'' servo centerers/testers and they are useless. I replaced the first because i thought it was a bad one, it wasnt they are all bad. Basically plug in servo and center it, contect push rod, then when you go to bind RX all servo's arent centered? Its okay to test but dont use it to center.
Mine has worked perfectly. The Tester moves the servo to Neutral, I install the Servo Arm, I connect the servo to the Rx, before any Mixes, Trims, or Subtrims have been set, power up the Tx and Rx, and the Servo Arm is still at Neutral.

rmh 06-25-2012 04:13 PM

The JR Matchmaker -is my favorite- it has an indent in the operating wheel for center - and this does match the rx center positioning.
so you can match /center a pair of servos OR cycle at various speeds two servos any of my JR/Spektrum stuff -or HiTech
makes setup much easier
i use it with 4.8/7volt setups

grotto2 06-25-2012 05:38 PM

I've used the ServoXciter for years.

http://www.vexacontrol.com/

May be a little expensive, but American made and they give fantastic after-sale service.

This one reads pulsewidth out of your receiver and tests your servo current and deadband. IMHO, it's a must for complex aircraft with critical setups, like pattern planes and helicopters.

countilaw 06-25-2012 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Frank

why do you feel you need one?

I don't really feel like I need one. But I was curious about the advantages of using one.

Frank

David DeWitt 06-26-2012 08:20 PM

Vexa works great !