RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   72 mhz still ok? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11160322-72-mhz-still-ok.html)

bignasdy 07-18-2012 01:57 PM

72 mhz still ok?

I posted this a long time ago, and it was "yes". Im finaly going to get some glasses,[8D] and Im comin back full fury[>:] te heh...
so.... 72 still good right?......thanx in advance.
d

karolh 07-18-2012 03:21 PM

RE: 72 mhz still ok?

The answer is still yes.

Karol

krayzc-RCU 07-18-2012 03:28 PM

yes flew it the other day:D 72 style

bignasdy 07-18-2012 03:55 PM

Awesome! :D I never had any radio freq probs to begin with, so I dont want a newer system, and all of my planes are on the same freq. I have 12 recievers on sam ch. :)
Thanx!
d

karolh 07-18-2012 03:56 PM

My buddy still flies his 40% Super Extra on 72. Says with everybody now on 2.4 he has the frequency tree all to himself :)

Karol

BuschBarber 07-18-2012 06:12 PM

I flew 72Mhz for many years. I am now 100% over to 2.4. It is true that our Frequency Board gets very little use. We had one person, last week, that came out with 72Mhz - Ch38. He grabbed the Ch33 pin. One other person came out with 72Mhz and he was on Ch38. The guy with the Ch33 pin was shot down. Another person came out on 72Mhz who also flies on 2.4. He forgot to extend his Silver Sword. He crashed. There are newbies buying up used, cheap, high end 72Mhz radios and using them for ground vehicles. They could be in the yard next to your flying site.

There is more risk flying 72Mhz than flying 2.4 especially when it comes to interference caused by RF noise.

Charlie P. 07-18-2012 06:25 PM

Yes.  Better than it has been in years, in fact, because the airwaves are clearer.

And you have the pins to yourself.

JPMacG 07-18-2012 07:09 PM

Absolutely 72 is still OK. I fly 72 without issue while some of my friends on 2.4 are losing control of their planes for unknown reasons.

The exception would be if you fly in an area where there may be rogue users on 72, like a public park with RC boat or car activity.

Charlie P. 07-18-2012 07:46 PM

Interesting.  Over the years I've seen few problems with 72 MHz and none at all with 2.4 GHz - when using top brand components.  We just hosted the Rally of Giants and I don't believe there was a single "glitch" on the 2.4 GHz that 99%+ of the pilots were flying (109 pilots - three on MHz frequencies).

bignasdy 07-19-2012 04:07 AM

Interesting indeed. Ive been out of the loop since 08 really, no punn intinded....
Been reading alot about 2.4. Seems theres alot of "lost communication" crashes . If the antenna in the airplane is positioned wrong, could lead to a crash. that in itsself scares me...:)
We used to fly around a water tower...there was no vis on the plane for a few seconds , I'm guessing ..
The way I understand it, on 2.4 ,a fella could lose control during that time. Now Im not sayin this to bash the new system, its just what I read about it from actual users. Im guilty of flyin behind a tree line over the years , and supposidly, that too can cause loss of signal connection. Of course, keeping the plane in sight is correct, but I think we all probly have had loss of sight for a moment here, or there. Dont forsee that any time soon LOL.
I find it strange that they dont sell the new systems in 72 anymore ...or at least I dont see any listed.
Manditory change will be coming I suspect..
I just want to be safe, and secure.

Charlie P. 07-19-2012 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

Seems theres alot of "lost communication" crashes.
You have to blame something. Can't just say "Iscrewed up" or "I forgot to check the receiver battery before the flight". And since we can no longer yell "I got hit" we have to accomidate the new technology by fabricating "brown outs" and solar flares or whatever to explain our crashes. If you can walk around that water tower while talking on your 2.4 GHz cell phone without losing signal you can also likely fly around it.

Ithink a lot of folks also load up on metal geared digital servos without regard to what can happen if one binds in flight and sucks your available voltage/wattage below Rx operating limits. That's not a frequency problem. That's an application problem.

rmh 07-19-2012 06:14 AM

In our area, we have moved 72 over to 72.5 -
and require all users to reset their radios .

bignasdy 07-19-2012 06:47 AM

I hear that Charlie! LOL
Its never ME LOL

JPMacG 07-19-2012 07:41 AM

I didn't mean to stir up debate. In response to the OP, my personal experience at our field is that 72 MHz works flawlessly.

Several members on 2.4 have complained of losing control, but the cause is unknown and may be unusual turbulance or something else unrelated to 2.4. We also fly directly over a ham radio antenna farm. He runs a kilowatt on the HF bands, and there has been speculation about that being a cause for problems on 2.4, but I doubt it myself.

Prop_Washer2 07-19-2012 12:20 PM

"Solar Flares", now I have a new excuse...Thanx...!!!

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

Seems theres alot of "lost communication" crashes.
You have to blame something. Can't just say "Iscrewed up" or "I forgot to check the receiver battery before the flight". And since we can no longer yell "I got hit" we have to accomidate the new technology by fabricating "brown outs" and solar flares or whatever to explain our crashes. If you can walk around that water tower while talking on your 2.4 GHz cell phone without losing signal you can also likely fly around it.

Ithink a lot of folks also load up on metal geared digital servos without regard to what can happen if one binds in flight and sucks your available voltage/wattage below Rx operating limits. That's not a frequency problem. That's an application problem.

ArcticCatRider 07-19-2012 12:40 PM

All but one of my systems are 72 MHz. I bought a 2.4 GHz system a few years back just to see what it's all about.

flycatch 07-19-2012 01:05 PM

I still fly on 72mhz and don't see the necessity to switch.

bignasdy 07-19-2012 01:20 PM

glad to hear this again :)

thepamster 07-19-2012 01:27 PM

I would add though to go over that radio system with a fine tooth comb. Make sure all of your batteries check to rated capacity tx and rx. Do range checks for all of your planes before flying. Make sure all servos move smoothly with no intermittent problems.
Also might not be a bad idea to send system to Radio South for a checkup, though if your range checks are ok you are probably fine.
Good luck.

dhal22 07-19-2012 01:38 PM

No problems with my 72 mhz radio at all. Will switch to 2.4 someday though, just no hurry.

HellcatAce 07-19-2012 04:19 PM

Like somebody else said, all the frequency pins are available. Heck, probably a better chance of getting 2.4 lockout these days than getting shot down on go ol' FM baby!!

50 MHz ham is also wide open hahahahaahahaahhahahaaaaaa!

yf222000 07-19-2012 04:44 PM

Still fly my birds 72 different ways over here. Never had an issue with radio system, so I don't see the reason to jump on the 2.4. Besides, with the influx of 2.4, I can buy good 72 band stuff dirt cheap. :)

pmerritt 07-19-2012 05:34 PM

First off it's NOT like you have to have ONE or the OTHER.  I have a few back up planes still on 72mghtz and a bunch on digital 2.4.  In case I forget to charge the DX7 or fly it enough, I can have the 72 TX on the charger ready to use.  If you have an issue with either or by bad luck someone is flying your 72 frequency, you have plan "B" ready to go.  Once I acclimated to the 2.4, I really enjoy the technology and advancement of protection of the digital world.  The nice thing about the digital revolution, is that is sure made 72 very affordable and less stressful to use since most eveyone is on 2.4 these days.  Don't throw that 72 out.  They're good old school 72 mghtz transmitters that stood behind this hobby for decades.  Nothing wrong with them! 

Gixxy 07-19-2012 05:37 PM

What is 72 ???

rowdog_14 07-19-2012 06:55 PM

Why did you bring this up :) I fly 72 and have never had a problem. Check the board, ask around, do a range check and you will never have a problem. I fly with a JR7202XP scanselect with scanselect RX. I love it so much I went out and purchased a 2nd because of how solid 72 is. I will probably never go to 2.4 unless I have to and they stop making or repairing 72 products. I see nothing wrong with 2.4 I just do not see a need in it for me.