RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   getting started (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11215229-getting-started.html)

byersa 09-02-2012 08:52 PM

getting started

I want to get involved in RC because my eight year son wants to. My goal is to use his interest to get him to focus long enough learn some things about construction and stick-to-it-ivness. We are going to start with RC boats because we don't have the skill level or confidence to start with planes. I do not want to go the RTF route - I want him to get the feeling that comes from building something, but I do not want to take months to get results, so I guess I am looking for something in the ARF category. But what I want is to find a pathway where we can use one controller and a few common mechanisms as we go forward. I would like something that is common and middle of the road in terms of cost and capability. As we go forward, I would like to move to kits that require more skill, but still use the same controller. Does such a path exist?

Thanks for any help.

-Al<br type="_moz" />

BuschBarber 09-03-2012 04:39 AM

RE: getting started

ORIGINAL: byersa

I want to get involved in RC because my eight year son wants to. My goal is to use his interest to get him to focus long enough learn some things about construction and stick-to-it-ivness. We are going to start with RC boats because we don't have the skill level or confidence to start with planes. I do not want to go the RTF route - I want him to get the feeling that comes from building something, but I do not want to take months to get results, so I guess I am looking for something in the ARF category. But what I want is to find a pathway where we can use one controller and a few common mechanisms as we go forward. I would like something that is common and middle of the road in terms of cost and capability. As we go forward, I would like to move to kits that require more skill, but still use the same controller. Does such a path exist?

Thanks for any help.

-Al<br type=''_moz'' />
I believe that learning to fly would be the biggest motivator. Purchasing a good Flight Simulator and practicing often is a great way to get started. Many who have gone this route are better prepared when they finally travel to their local flying field.. Having confidence is one of the most important factors in successful R/C flying.

Building is fun and rewarding, however, spending your first couple of months building and then crashing the first time out is very disappointing. Buy an ARF, like an LT40, and get someone at your local R/C club to train you is the best path forward
Keep on the Sim and build in your spare time.

dirtybird 09-03-2012 05:47 AM

Holly Molly Take your wallet and run while you can still get away from this monster!

Zeeb 09-04-2012 07:26 AM

Ummm..... so what do you really want to do?

The radios and components are different between marine and air and from your questions you'll need help with whichever one you choose. I can't remember the name of the local boat club but if you want to go air I suggest you spend some time out at the field asking questions. We also have trainer pilots but I don't think the club trainer exists anymore. The field is in Saratoga Springs next to the Jordan river and is a really nice facitily other than there being water on three sides to complicate dead sticks but no field is perfect unless you've lots of money to join a private facility.

http://www.utahvalleyaeromodelers.com/

Hill202 09-04-2012 10:50 AM

All good advice above. In regards to radios, I would get as nice as I could afford. Leave yourself room to grow so when you are ready to advance, you'll already have the radio.