RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 14SG, coming soon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11268903-futaba-14sg-coming-soon.html)

TimBle 10-19-2012 02:06 PM

Futaba 14SG, coming soon

<a href="http://3fhobbyservice.jetshop.se/futaba-14sg-radio-p-1851-c-201.aspx">http://3fhobbyservice.jetshop.se/fut...851-c-201.aspx

<br type="_moz" /></a>

bem 10-19-2012 02:30 PM

RE: Futaba 14SG, coming soon

Released in December it seems.

/Bo

karolh 10-19-2012 05:35 PM

Very nice, I wonder how much it will cost ??

Karol

Silent-AV8R 10-19-2012 09:43 PM

You do the conversion from this site:

http://www.prorc.fi/index.php?option...d=11&Itemid=81

which lists it at 630 Euros would make it about $830 USD or so. No idea what it will sell for here in the US or when it will be available. I think the Finnish site said December.

TimBle 10-20-2012 12:17 AM

It will be shown next week in Japan at a Hobby Expo. Launched to market in December in time for Christmas.<div>When Tower will have who knows....probably end Jan / mid Feb in stock?</div>

woodie 10-21-2012 02:33 PM

It will very interesting to see if the 14SG will use the same programming as the 18MZ so the models are interchangable and the 14SG could be a backup for the 18MZ.. When the 12FG came out, it was unfortunate the 12FG models weren't directly compatible with the 12Z and 14MZ. You have to use a program to reformat the models so they can be moved between them.

Fingers crossed
Woodie

Dick T. 10-21-2012 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: woodie

It will very interesting to see if the 14SG will use the same programming as the 18MZ so the models are interchangable and the 14SG could be a backup for the 18MZ.. When the 12FG came out, it was unfortunate the 12FG models weren't directly compatible with the 12Z and 14MZ. You have to use a program to reformat the models so they can be moved between them.

Fingers crossed
Woodie
Not likely. What would be the point if this transmitter will do eveything the 18MZ will do at less than 1/3 price?

I surmise this is a telemetry equipped (it says FASSTEST on the face) pumped up 8FG (which can be updated to 14 channels).

Silent-AV8R 10-21-2012 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

I surmise this is a telemetry equipped (it says FASSTEST on the face) pumped up 8FG (which can be updated to 14 channels).

The current model 8FG Super now comes as a 14-channel radio, no need to update unless you have the straight 8FG (non-Super).

woodie 10-21-2012 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Fingers crossed
Woodie
Not likely. What would be the point if this transmitter will do eveything the 18MZ will do at less than 1/3 price?

Well, the 12FG does everything the 14MZ does (with minor exceptions) at about 1/3 the cost. The issue with the 12FG is the model transfer inconvenience with the higher end radios. Also, following Futaba's approach, they release the top of the line model then start backfilling with less expensive models to continue to leverage the technology investment. Basically, the 18MZ is just a 14MZ on steroids. Other than telemetry and a new screen they are basically the same functionally. I don't own a 18MZ but some friends do and we can't find much difference.

Not quibbling, just hoping they will be compatible for model transfer.

Woodie

skorp_jon 10-22-2012 02:17 AM

The current model 8FG Super now comes as a 14-channel radio, no need to update unless you have the straight 8FG (non-Super).
You can update non super 8fg to 14 channels. Update is on futaba site for free.

pilotpete2 10-22-2012 06:46 AM

Silent,
Don't make the mistake of doing a currency conversion on the Euro price of the 14GS. That price in Euros includes the VAT and is based on yen to Euro conversion, not Yen to USD, which is what Towers price will be determined by. Look at Robbe's price in Euros for current Futaba models vs Towers USD prices. Somewhere south of 700 bucks is a good guesstimate[8D] . Heck, the USD price on the 12FG is a lower number than the Robbe price in Euros.
Pete

Silent-AV8R 10-22-2012 09:05 AM

Edit - I agree that doing the conversions is questionable. I'm betting they will have a killer price here in the US. Can't wait for the official word!!

pilotpete2 10-22-2012 10:37 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing the particulars. My 8FG has three years of heavy usage on it. with zero problems (knock on wood). At some point it will be time to retire it to backup duty[8D]
Pete

Dick T. 10-22-2012 11:15 AM

Well, the 12FG does everything the 14MZ does (with minor exceptions) at about 1/3 the cost. The issue with the 12FG is the model transfer inconvenience with the higher end radios. Also, following Futaba's approach, they release the top of the line model then start backfilling with less expensive models to continue to leverage the technology investment. Basically, the 18MZ is just a 14MZ on steroids. Other than telemetry and a new screen they are basically the same functionally. I don't own a 18MZ but some friends do and we can't find much difference.

Not quibbling, just hoping they will be compatible for model transfer.

Woodie
I have the 12FG, 14MZ and the 18MZ. You are correct in that the programming is similar although each has enhancements and additional capabilities as you move up the line. Model transfer is easy too if you move models up the line but restricted if trying to move down line.

I suspect transfer from the new 14SG down to the 8FG may be possible since the numbers of channels is the same. Appears to be a good fit in the entire line both in features and price.

Personally I like the visual programming provided by the 14 & 18 graphic displays. All three are eazy to program but the higher end versions do provide more capability and features than the 12.

TimBle 10-22-2012 12:27 PM

Ah just remember the 14SG is FASSTest transmit receive protocol. It does not hop across the same number of channels and uses a different DSSS sequence.<div>So to transfer a model that is set up in the 14SG 14Channel (S.bus 2/ Multi 3) mode will not be recognised by your 8FG.</div><div>A model set up in FASST Multi II mode could be transferred between the 14SG and 8FG(S).</div><div>
</div><div>It is also likely the 14SG will have S-FHSS transmit capability to allow it be a more cost effective option for folk who want Futaba FTR ready to fly airplanes.</div><div>it may look like just an upgraded 8FG but there more going on inside that box than mere looks suggest</div>

Dick T. 10-22-2012 12:40 PM

Great points. You are correct in there is a lot going on inside the Tx. A lot of flexibility in all of these systems.

Skaluf 10-24-2012 06:49 AM

Hi guys, while we are a bit early in the release of the 14SG. I'll try to answer some of your questions about it. Here are answers to the questions I can recall so far. Btw, the 14SG web page will be up soon, so keep checking at www.futaba-rc.com

Case- no it's not the same as the 8FG, the feel is very solid, switch spacing is wider (like the 18MZ), rubber grips on the sides and back.

Modulation: FASST, FASSTest, and yes...S-FHSS!

Telemetry, with vibration alerts, louder beeper also.

Programming is very similar to the 8FGS.

SensorTouch programming dial has been improved, it also has two buttons. You'll read more about these when the web page is up.

6v 1700 NiMH pack for power. I don't have run times yet, but so far it looks like well over 4 hours depending on how much you use the backlighting.

That's it for now, let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to answer them.

Steve

TimBle 10-24-2012 07:47 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

When can we place orders?

Bit disappointed with the NiMH Tx pack but it no biggy. I have one in my 8FG V5.0 and a spare anyway + a Gens Ace 7.4 2600mA.hr Lipo.

I am assuming it is software upgradable as well, like 8FG and 18MZ. YES/NO

WIll it have flight conditions in airplane mode? YES/NO

I see mode changes are now 7Ch, 8CH (multi) and 14Channel (multi II). Hows does this affect S.bus set up?

Are the slider switches on the side improved with a smoother ratchet?

Can conditions be assigned to the dial switches with audible beesp to indicate position?<br type="_moz" />

Skaluf 10-24-2012 09:05 AM

I'll answer what I can for now.

You'll need to check with your retailer as to when they will accept orders.

Yes the software is user updatable.

The various modes all work with S.Bus as long as you are using an S.Bus receiver. For this system you will have FASST: 7ch & Multi; FASSTest 12 & 14 channel, S-FHSS

I'll have to get back to on the rest.

Steve

ORIGINAL: TimBle

[img][/img]

When can we place orders?

Bit disappointed with the NiMH Tx pack but it no biggy. I have one in my 8FG V5.0 and a spare anyway + a Gens Ace 7.4 2600mA.hr Lipo.

I am assuming it is software upgradable as well, like 8FG and 18MZ. YES/NO

WIll it have flight conditions in airplane mode? YES/NO

I see mode changes are now 7Ch, 8CH (multi) and 14Channel (multi II). Hows does this affect S.bus set up?

Are the slider switches on the side improved with a smoother ratchet?

Can conditions be assigned to the dial switches with audible beesp to indicate position?<br type=''_moz'' />

TimBle 10-24-2012 09:24 AM

Thanks, appreciate the info and effort.

Skaluf 10-26-2012 12:25 PM

Folks, I just received word that you should be able to pre-order 14SG's starting this weekend. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the market serviced by Hobbico (North America). Other distributors may have different plans.

Steve

Spridal 10-29-2012 01:46 PM

Looks like the Pre-Order site is up!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXCVPZ&amp;P=7

Skaluf 02-14-2013 08:44 AM

Here is a link to a short unboxing video that we shot yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfNRJQ6kfqE

Steve

dards 02-15-2013 08:35 AM

Some pictures and details of unboxing Futaba 14SG ...

http://www.rcpak.com/index.php/forum...unboxing#53311

meanrc 02-15-2013 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: dards

Some pictures and details of unboxing Futaba 14SG ...

http://www.rcpak.com/index.php/forum...unboxing#53311
Why not post the pictures here so we don't have to register on some unknown site. But thanks anyway.

Jk