RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Charging New NiMh 2000 Mah (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11291943-charging-new-nimh-2000-mah.html)

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 08:49 AM

Charging New NiMh 2000 Mah

I have the Tx battery charger that has the pigtail for receiver packs.. My question is how do I know when the charge is complete? It's just a basic wall charger that has a red light that lights up when the receiver is plugged into it. I'm trying to charge a new Hydrimax 2000 mah receiver pack.

Also, Is there a way to test the charge on a battery before charging it ?

edit: I looked at Hobbico.com and it says this "<span style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.200000762939453px;">No special charging equipment is necessary; use a standard 50mA radio charger for trickle-charging, or the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII (HCAP0290) or Accu-Cycle</span><sup style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: none; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; line-height: 19.200000762939453px;"><font size="-2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: none; background-color: transparent;">TM</font></sup><span style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-family: sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.200000762939453px;">Elite (HCAP0280) for safe, quick peak charging.</span>" Even with that said, how long is long enough?<br type="_moz" />

A.T. 11-09-2012 10:15 AM

RE: Charging New NiMh 2000 Mah

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana I have the Tx battery charger that has the pigtail for receiver packs.. My question is how do I know when the charge is complete? It's just a basic wall charger that has a red light that lights up when the receiver is plugged into it. I'm trying to charge a new Hydrimax 2000 mah receiver pack. Also, Is there a way to test the charge on a battery before charging it ?
Basic wall chargers do not stop charging, simply slow down as resistance builds up.
Time depends upon the rating of your charger, which to charge that battery correctly,
the Rx charge output should be rated at not less than 200mAh.
Rx charge ouput rated below 100 mAh will take 24+ hours and may not peak a 2000 mAh battery.

Much more information available under sub section
"Battery Care, Performance &amp; DIY Battery Packs."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

<span style="font-size: smaller;">extract from a recent post on NiMH batteries
"1. As supplied, the battery has a "chemical" charge only.
If the battery were to be charged before despatch ex factory, it would be flat before it hit the retailer's shelf.
2. NiMH do not reach full capacity until after at least the third use (charge).
3.NiCD were reasonably forgiving in the event of overcharge / overdischarge / hard knocks but NiMH are not.
Majority of NiMH cells have a shorter life span thanwe used to expect of NiCads, best never to exceed 1c or one hour charge rate.
4. Black wire corrosion is just as much if not more evident in NiMH than was experienced with NiCad.

When Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) was introduced in the early 1990s, much was made of its memory-free status.
NiMH do suffer from crystal build up also known as "memory" but to a lesser extent than NiCd.
No proven research is known that specifies best maintenance except all concur that repeated cycling of NiMH
is not recommended because of the shorter service life.
NiMH were introduced solely to satisfy the EU "Greenies" as under the changed CE regulations, it was to become to
expensive to continue with the supply and then subsequentreturn to anddisposal by the supplierof thepoisonous
NiCD cells. NiCad are still allowed for use by emergency &amp; medical services in lieu of NiMH.

</span><span style="font-size: smaller;">101 re Charging RC Batteries</span><span style="font-size: smaller;"> - </span><span style="font-size: smaller;">Titan</span><span style="font-size: smaller;"> Energy
</span><span style="font-size: smaller;">Battery University </span><span style="font-size: smaller;">
</span><span style="font-size: smaller;">Battery Comparison of Applications</span><span style="font-size: smaller;">
</span><span style="font-size: smaller;">R/C Battery Clinic</span><span style="font-size: smaller;"> - Archived Articles Listing."</span>

Alan T.

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 10:44 AM

The wall charger says the Rx output charge is 5.8 volts and 50 Ma... So is this is too small of a charger for this battery pack ?

A.T. 11-09-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana<span style="font-size: smaller;"> The wall charger says the Rx output charge is 5.8 volts and 50 Ma... So is this is too small of a charger for this battery pack ?</span>
2000 / 50 mah = 40 hours minimum given no resistance or typical losss whilst charging - does not happen.
Initial three cycles would require at least 70 hours each.

Suggest purchase of a new charger, 180mAh + output.
There are many good units which act as both bench &amp; field chargers.
(NiMH used for flight packs should never be fast charged at more than 1A.)

Alan T.

BuschBarber 11-09-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

The wall charger says the Rx output charge is 5.8 volts and 50 Ma... So is this is too small of a charger for this battery pack ?
Bill - If you plan on being in the hobby for years to come, purchase a good Cycling battery charger. The Wall Wort (default wall charger) is just adequate but can be abused. You will want a charger with Peak Detection. Also, a change in the type of batteries you use would save you quite a bit of charging time.

For the Tx, you can use Eneloop cells (similar to NiMh but hold their charge more like LiPos. I use LiFe Tx packs. They hold their charge for months and charge in less than an hour. I also use LiFe Rx packs. You can buy an FMA 4S Multi, 10S, or 10S XP. The 4S and the 10S XP will charge any Lithium cell or NiMh/NiCad. They are wonderful chargers for Lithiums and Nxxx.

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 12:12 PM

Aren't those like a couple hundred bucks ?

BuschBarber 11-09-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Aren't those like a couple hundred bucks ?
The 10S costs about $109 unless you get a Refirb.
The 4S Multi is much less.

Proper battery maintenance is a major factor in preventing our radios from malfunctioning and crashing our aircraft. Most of the newer transmitters now come with either LiFe or LiPo batteries. My DX8 has a 4000mah LiPo. I can go 2 months without having to recharge and I fly almost every day in the summer. I have been using LiPo Tx and Rx batteries for years, without issue. The LiPo Rx batteries have required a Voltage Regulator up until HV servos came on the scene. I switched to LiFe Rx batteries because they did not require a Voltage Regulator.

Since I started flying a mix of Electric, Gas, and Glow aircraft, I invested in good chargers that will last for years and I have minimized the time I have to spend charging. If I need to charge my Tx or Rx Lithium batteries, it only takes me 15 minutes, at the field. I could fly indefinitely, charging only when necessary.

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 12:32 PM

Ahh.. I must have been looking at something else when I did a quick Google search then.

BuschBarber 11-09-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Ahh.. I must have been looking at something else when I did a quick Google search then.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...llpro-Multi4_3

Charging NiCads and NiMh was necessary for years, but not anymore. I would rather spend my time flying. I can be on vacation for a month and come home to fly the same day. These chargers give me a wealth of info on the state of the batteries.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...pro-Chargers_2

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks for the links.. Now do the top three or four listed use a 12 volt battery as it's power source or do they have an AC adapter too?

BuschBarber 11-09-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links.. Now do the top three or four listed use a 12 volt battery as it's power source or do they have an AC adapter too?
I have a 40a Pyramid power supply that I use at home. I have used my power jack in the car to charge from, but eventually, I bought two 6v EverReady Golf Cart batteries, put them in series, in my van, and connect two 10S chargers to them. It depends upon how much current the chargers require. I have a couple of aircraft that run on 12S 5000mah packs, 10S 5000mah packs, and 5S 5000mah packs. With my 10S chargers, I can charge two 5S packs on each charger, at the same time, at 2C (10a in this case), in 45min. I can charge only one 6S pack per charger. The 12S packs are made up of two 5S and one 2S pack so I can use the batteries in multiple aircraft at different voltages.

Charging 2S and 3S 2500mah LliPo/LiFe packs would take much less time since I could charge at 4C (10a). It depends upon the C charge rating of the packs.

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 02:13 PM

A little over my head, but I get the gist of it... so pretty much ,No you don't just plug them into the wall?

BuschBarber 11-09-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

A little over my head, but I get the gist of it... so pretty much ,No you don't just plug them into the wall?
If you purchase a 12a power supply for the home, you can connect one of these chargers to it. There is info, on the Internet, as to how to modify a power supply from a PC or Server to use for the same purpose. I charge in the van or I carry a 12v Jump Start battery, purchased at Harbor Freight, if I need to charge in the Pit area. This battery also works well for electric starters, if necessary.

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 03:32 PM

Oh yeah, I have one of those.. I took an ATX and converted it to an power supply for my pinball machine hobby.. Duh ! I forgot all about it, it has -5, +5 , -12 , +12 and +3.3

flyinwalenda 11-09-2012 03:42 PM

You don't need to spend a lot on a charger for the next step up from a wall wart charger. I have two of these types of charger to compliment my more expensive Cellpro charger. They work fine and will properly charge and cycle your NiMh and will also charge and maintain NiCd, Lipo, Life, and Pb batteries. This charger has a power supply inside so you can plug it into household power or it can use a 12 volt battery.
Someday if you get heavy into lipo batteries you can look at a high end charger but for now this will work fine for you.

www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/chargers/lipo-balance-chargers/gt-power-a606-d-50watt-6a-6s-balance-charger.html

BillinIndiana 11-09-2012 04:34 PM

Thanks, I really just need something that'll work.. I don't need the Best of the Best ! I doubt I'll ever get to that level of the hobby, I'm more of an weekend flier guy..

edit: Although the only review makes me skeptical... The guy says the 1st on he received quit working after a few uses ..<br type="_moz" />