RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   72 radios (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11373410-72-radios.html)

cubkadet 01-17-2013 05:57 AM

72 radios

i am relativly new to rc flying. i have a spectrum dx-6 and i also have some 72 fm radios i was wondering if i should just use 2.4 or are the older 72 radios still ok to use? how prone are the 72 radios to glitching?

Checklst 01-17-2013 06:12 AM

RE: 72 radios

Depends on what you fly and how you set them up. I just converted a JR9303 72 to spektrum 2.4 ...........not because of any glitch.....my wife gave it to me as a XMAS gift.....sweet!!!!! I was flying gas with the 72 on PCM.
The only difference I see is I don't have to pull a freq pin anymore.

JIMF14D 01-17-2013 06:22 AM

And you cannot put that big tin antenna in your prop anymore while carrying your model......:). Or forget to put it up and then crash 30 seconds after takeoff.....:)

BuschBarber 01-17-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: chuckaluck

i am relativly new to rc flying. i have a spectrum dx-6 and i also have some 72 fm radios i was wondering if i should just use 2.4 or are the older 72 radios still ok to use? how prone are the 72 radios to glitching?
I have flown with 72Mhz for over 30 years. I switched to 2.4 in 2007, but used both as I gradually replaced my 72Mhz Rx's with 2.4 versions. Now, I fly 2.4 radios exclusively. There wasn't a year that went by where I didn't have to track down the cause of glitches as a result of RF Noise. Then there were long waits at model meets for the Frequency Pin. At the flying field, most everyone paid attention to Frequency Control, but it was wise to make contact with anyone who was on your Channel so that an accidental Shootdown did not occur. There were times when random Frequency Conflicts occurred, on certain Channels.

Is it safe to fly 72Mhz? It depends upon where you fly, how many others fly there on 72Mhz, are there any RC Ground vehicles in the vicinity that you do not know about, and are they using Channels on Air Frequencies because so many high end 72Mhz transmitters are flooding the market, at cheap prices, as they are replaced with 2.4 radios.

For me, 2.4 has been a blessing. Believe it or not, we had two incidents at our flying field, last year, where only two pilots, on 72Mhz, showed up, both on the same Channel, and one shot the other down because he did not grab the Frequency Pin before flying, and the other did.

A DX6 is an early Spektrum radio using DSM. It came with the AR6000 Rx and that is all it is compatible with. I would replace that with a DX6i, DX7S, or DX8, in order to be able to use DSM2/DSMX and be compatible with all the Horizon BNF models. You can still use the DX6, but you are limited.

Some that fly FPV aircraft use 72Mhz because they can get more Range.

Rafael23cc 01-17-2013 06:51 AM

I'll back up BuschBarber in one subject here. Is not about the glitching, but about the frequency use. If you are going to use it in an unregulated field, how are you sure that behind that hill there isn't somebody else with a 72mHz radio on your same frequency?

I still have a handfull of 72Mhz receivers. I use them at our flying field where we still have a frequency control board. It seldom get used anymore nowadays.

Rafael

049flyer 01-17-2013 01:21 PM

Been flying 72mhz for over 30 years, still do. Glitches are extremely rare as long as normal precautions are taken and you fly glow powered airplanes. Electrics, ignition systems on gas planes, poor installations, and poor maintenance are the root cause of most glitch problems with any radio system, including 2.4.

Depending on where you fly and the surrounding congestion you should have no more problems with 72mhz as 2.4.

snuts 01-18-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: chuckaluck

I have a few models still on 72. Over the years I had about all the different freq #'s. Eventually found Ch39 to be of the least conflict at Fun-fly's in our Province. Of the very few, well established modellers that went totally 2.4. I would buy their Ch39 equipment. The models that have been flown for years on ch39 PCM, are still being flown on 72. Although not often at Fun-flies. These seem to be a few go-to models for our local field. I have noticed a big drop in 72 usage over the last 2 seasons.
As to your original question. If you have and use 72, it will still work. If you are buying equipment, new or used go 2.4. I do enjoy all my 2.4 stuff, hope you do too.
-Snuts-