RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Tower really Futaba?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1139058-tower-really-futaba.html)

zxcv11 09-15-2003 07:15 PM

Tower really Futaba??

I am thinking about getting a Tower 6ch 3000 System. I have heard that this equipment is really Futaba made with the proprietary name placed on it. Can anyone confirm or discredit this rumor for me?? And if true, what makes them able to sell this equip. sooo cheap?? (component substitution..ect.) All opinions welcome ;)Thanx in advance.
Brian

linclogs 09-15-2003 11:02 PM

RE: Tower really Futaba??

Yup - it's made by Futaba. Not positive why it's so much cheaper but if I had to guess, I'd have to say, volume. Also, the radios built by Futaba for others that put their name on it are not Futaba's top-of-the-line radios. They're more like entry level, non-computer radios. If you buy the cheapest package that includes everything you get just standard servos, too. Nothing wrong with that - they're good, solid, time tested products but let's face it, they're not the latest, state-of-the-art computer models. Depends on what you want or need. I'd have to say these are fine for fun flying. But you'd probably want something else if you were into something more than that.

Tower is not the first to have Futaba build radios for them. Years ago, Hobby Shack had Futaba build some (if not all) their "Cirrus" line and my old Cirrus 900-FM is still my favorite radio. One difference with the Cirrus radio - I believe it was better than what Futaba was producing under their own name at the time. Just my personal opinion, but based on all the bells and whistles available on that particular radio, and the unbelievable low cost for what you got. Those were the days before computer radios or digital servos so you got a lot for your money.

MikeL 09-16-2003 12:43 PM

It's marketing, not volume of sales, that causes the Tower radios to be less-expensive.

The marketing folks over at the Empire determined that there's a niche for low-end, inexpensive equipement targeted at beginners. The most cost effective way for them to fill that niche is by using old designs. They don't want to use the Futaba brand name on old equipment, as that reduces the brand's prestige. So they slap a Tower badge on it, and they're able to maintain their higher margins on the Futaba-badged products.

Horizon has done this as well with their J-Line product.

zxcv11 09-16-2003 10:38 PM

So basically I've just got a bit of an older model, not a Tx or Rx made with super cheap components or a "re-conditioned" product.
Thanks for the input guys

Bri