RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   I fear I may have purchased a fake spektrum system (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11418490-i-fear-i-may-have-purchased-fake-spektrum-system.html)

xxxleafybugxxx 02-21-2013 12:10 PM

I fear I may have purchased a fake spektrum system

So I have been looking on ebay for a good deal on a spektrum system for something to fly long range jets with. i found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360599301856...84.m1439.l2649
So at this point, I'm really not sure what to think. I have seen prices vary on these and futaba systems so I just bought it. When I was looking, I didn't even realize a "fake" tx/rx was out there. It didn't even cross my mind. But anyways, its been paid for.
Remember, I'm not even sure if it is fake, just suspicious due to the low price. But if it is, and i can prove so, I could put in a case to ebay for a refund possibly. What is your guy's take on this.
I figure if people could sell a fake for a low price, they can also sell a fake for a higher price, so don't tell me I should have payed more becasue those can just as easily be fake.
Any advice?
Thanks

BarracudaHockey 02-21-2013 12:13 PM

RE: I fear I may have purchased a fake spektrum system

The item is shipping from China, so I definately would count out any support from Horizon Hobby the US importer of Spektrum radio systems.

Other than that, you gets what you pays for :)

daytonarc 02-21-2013 12:58 PM

I wouldn't fly anything I valued with that setup. Or for that matter anything with enough power to hurt someone even if I didn't value it. Several red flags.

1) Shipping from China from an ebay merchant that has no other quality aircraft items in ebay store.
2) Price including shipping from Chinaat way below any price you will find from US authorized sellers that don't have to ship halfway around the world.
3) Add states DX6i DSMX transmitter but picture is of a DSM2 transmitter, any authorized seller would obviously know the difference.

xxxleafybugxxx 02-21-2013 01:13 PM

Well than in this case, will I be able to prove its not legit? (if it isn't) and file a claim with ebay stating fraudulent claims?

daytonarc 02-21-2013 02:04 PM

I don't know how you can prove if it is a counterfeit. You could try calling Horizon or maybe Andy Kuntz will see this thread and offer some info. If you paid with paypal or even better yet a credit card through paypal you may be able to get some relief if it turns out to be fake, If it comes and it has the 2 in red to the left of the screen as shown in the ad it is either an old DSM2 original version (not made for at least a couple of years) or fake and either way that is not what was advertised.

RCPILOT99 02-21-2013 02:18 PM

Did you get your radio from China ? Was it a dx6i ? Bind a receiver on one of your model channels. Now change the model on the transmitter . Does the receiver still respond to the new model selection? No ok radio Yes fake radio and the power range check may also be not working on it . To confirm that, if you have a 2.4 rf power meter, take a reading. If you do not have a meter then see if your range check exceeds two or three hundred feet. Another way is to remove the six screws and look at the transmitter module. the real radio has a shielded module and the antenna lead is pluged into it with a very small rf connector. A fake one will often not have the shield and the coax is soldered to the rf module. If you have a fake radio another less troublesome flaw is that the us vs eu power setting does not work the radio stays in the higher us output power setting. To test that you would need a rf meter . All other aspects of the fake radio operate exactly as a real one.

Aerocal 02-21-2013 04:41 PM

You havent even received it yet.No reason to get all spun out of control at this point.Your concerns are legit but lets go about this in a reasonable manner.
When you do receive it check it out carefully.You may or may not be able to determine if it is authentic by taking good quality pictures from all angles both inside and out and then forwarding then to someone at HH for inspection and a possible determination.The surest way is to send it to HH service and have it inspected.This will add some expense to the endeavor though.

Buying from China is basically the same as buying used "as is".Beware. In your case if there is some kind of fraud involved you should have recourse through PayPal hopefully.Just be aware that you must be timely in filing a claim or it will be invalidated.IIRC the limit is 45 days from purchase to file a claim.Depending on how long it takes to ship your timeframe may shrink alot.
To me dealing with China is like playing poker/gambling.Never throw anything in the pot you cant afford to lose.You may win a few but you will just as likely lose a few too.

Its also just as likely that it is a genuine product.In that case HH will fully take care of any issue you may have with it.That is about the only thing in a situation like this that I can easily state as a fact without speculating.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aerocal 02-21-2013 04:48 PM

Haha.Now you told the fraudsters in public some of what we might look for to determine its status.Theres a real good chance they will do something about this situation and have it implemented in the new fakes they send out next week.:)

flyinwalenda 02-21-2013 04:56 PM

Wow, they sell some expensive stuff !
www.ebay.com/sch/Radio-Control-Control-Line-/2562/i.html

fizzwater2 02-21-2013 10:23 PM

Interesting that the seller claims compatibility with not only dsm2 and dsmx receivers, and also the original dsm receivers. The dx6i that horizon lists does not. I doubt it is truly a dsmx transmitter, but depends on the dsmx receivers compatibility with dsm2 transmitters to make the claim it is dsmx compatible. I fake'd be willing to bet it is a

BarracudaHockey 02-22-2013 04:29 AM

DSMX RX's work with DSM2 transmitters.

Salinas Hawk 02-22-2013 05:11 AM

I'm an American teaching English in China. If it is a fake, you should be able to tell. All of the fake stuff I've seen in China is extremely low quality and easy to spot.
Though I've never seen a fake Spektrum radio.

He's got a lot of positive feedback, so he certainly didnt fool all those people.

Did it ship from Hong Kong, or Malaysia, or somewhere else? All the best (mostlikely not fake)rc stuff in China is from HongKong and Taiwan.

But no matter where it's from, it's probably real. Check this out. It's a link to Horizon Hobbies China.

http://horizonhobby.tmall.com/shop/v...scid=482128657

Best of luck.

jester_s1 02-22-2013 06:50 AM

That's the thing with fakes- they don't make them quality because it cuts into the profit of making fakes to begin with.

impulse09 02-22-2013 08:16 AM

Same difference.

Rob2160 02-22-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: xxxleafybugxxx

Well than in this case, will I be able to prove its not legit? (if it isn't) and file a claim with ebay stating fraudulent claims?
Very hard to tell from the ebay ad if the system is fake, but there is one sure way to check before you use this in any aircraft.. Do a real world range check, not just the low power one recommended in the manual.

I do this with all new radios, receivers and the genuine Spektrums / Futabas will give you range over 3 Kilometers (2 miles)

I have also tested a cheap chinese clone and the range was rubbish.. only a few hundred yards. I will post a series of videos below that might help, and also a way to check you actually have a DSMX Transmitter and Receiver..

RANGE TESTINGA Spektrum DX8

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCahz4tNXg[/youtube]

RANGETESTINGa FUTABA 8FG and Spektrum DX6i

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIR0a9s8TE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6Q5aUvhI8[/youtube]

RANGETESTINGACHEAPCHINESECLONE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S41X5XyiF9g[/youtube]

This video will show you if your TX and RX are actually DSMX capable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tbes9f1_c[/youtube]

Hope that helps...

Prop_Washer2 02-22-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Wow, they sell some expensive stuff !
www.ebay.com/sch/Radio-Control-Control-Line-/2562/i.html

Hell 90% of the people on this board feel "You get what you pay for", well these $1000 dollar glow igniters should be the best on the planet..!! Surely NASA grade... All of his $1000 Plus items should be the best there is..!! "You get what you pay for... right?"

AndyKunz 02-22-2013 10:56 AM

He's not an authorized Spektrum dealer.

Andy

Four Stroker 02-22-2013 11:12 AM

Additionally, it is not FCC approved and will be illegal to operate.

kerrydel 02-22-2013 11:16 AM

$126.31 is NOT that low of a price. I recently paid $149 (plus tax yadda yadda) for a DX6i that came with a park flier receiver and 4 micro servos. This is was from a local hobby shop who is an authorized Spektrum dealer.

So if it IS a fake you REALLY got ripped off!

Hope not.

Kerry

larryak 02-22-2013 11:51 AM

Good luck partner. Hope this does'nt end up being a hard lesson. Just out of curiousity, what did you mean when you said you were going to use it to fly "long range jets"?

All Day Dan 02-22-2013 05:10 PM

Some good looking models too from the same seller. Dan.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Womens-Cloth...T&_ssn=ceedlim

Salinas Hawk 02-22-2013 06:18 PM

The seller seems to have a lot to lose; a lucrative ebay store-business selling clothes with a lot of positive feedback. Why would he pull a stunt like selling one fake radio. That doesn't make sense.

i am in China and buy lots of stuff, even some rc stuff online. I'm scared of fakes too.

There seems to be a lot of copying and pasting going on with online adds, and the pictures don't always match up with the descriptions / product name. Trick? Honest Mistake / language barrier? You make the call.

My bet is that you will receive an old model with maybe some downgraded components, but not a fake. You know, just good enough to make returning it or not a tough call.
The seller will play dumb, then offer you a refund, but he 's banking you won't go to the hassle.

Who knows though, you may be pleasantly surprised. It wasn't that cheap.

<br type="_moz" />

Aerocal 02-22-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

He's not an authorized Spektrum dealer.

Andy
I kind of forgot to add this to my original post. As with just about everything it is about the only way to guarantee your not going to get counterfeit products.
Know who you are buying from.Only buy new OEM products from an authorized dealer.
I completely understand the concept of being frugal and saving a buck. I also understand throwing good sense out the window and expecting to get something for nothing
and feeling like your getting the upper hand or cutting someone out of the loop. I guess we all have a different idea of what a "value" is.
Ive found that eventually everything goes "full circle".

mrwad 02-22-2013 08:56 PM

A friend of mine sent 4 Spectrum receivers he bought off of ebay to Horizion Hobbies to have them checked when one started acting up. Horizion Hobbies called him to say 3 out of the four were fakes !

BE CAREFUL of imitations on Ebay !

Don

Rob2160 02-22-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mrwad

A friend of mine sent 4 Spectrum receivers he bought off of ebay to Horizion Hobbies to have them checked when one started acting up. Horizion Hobbies called him to say 3 out of the four were fakes !

BE CAREFUL of imitations on Ebay !

Don

Yes good advice, I bought 3 spektrum RX's from ebay, very cheap... I range checked each one and they all dropped out around 300 Meters, I threw them all away.. I have no idea if they were fake or not but they failed my own personal standard. Futaba and Genuine spektrum give over 2 miles, so that is my benchmark.. The Orange Futaba RXs and the Orange Spektrum RXs from hobbyking work just as well as the originals so I have no problem using them..

Here is a vid of the Futaba Orange RX, I use them on 450 Helis and the are awesome for $30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIWgfgvxAU