RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Should I buy an 8103? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1158957-should-i-buy-8103-a.html)

kwelz 09-24-2003 03:06 PM

Should I buy an 8103?

I currently have a Futaba 9C and love the radio. However most of my Recievers are JR. In additon I need more recievers and servos.

I can get an 8103 for 386.94 after shipping.

Now I would like to have a radio on both JR and futaba shift for compatabilities sake, and I like the looks and feature set of the radio. Can you think of any reason I should NOT get the 8103?
Help me decide :(

Flyfalcons 09-24-2003 03:12 PM

RE: Should I buy an 8103?

I'd get another 9C, sell your JR receivers, and buy Futaba receivers :D.

kwelz 09-24-2003 03:16 PM

LOL that is helpful :P

I guess if I got a CAMPAC for the 9C is would support all my models as well. =\ Hmm I really like the looks of the 8103 as well though. And dangit I want more toys. :eek:

JohnVH 09-24-2003 04:07 PM

Ive played with a couple 9C's, and have owned a couple 8103's and a 10x, Id personally buy another 8103 over the 9c. Its all personal preference. If you love the radio sell the JR rx's and buy futaba, if you like the 8103 better, buy it! my .01

Ed_Moorman 09-24-2003 04:55 PM

You can also buy a separate 8103 transmitter since you already have the receivers.

kwelz 09-24-2003 05:53 PM

Where can I get the TX only? How much does it run?

amcross 09-25-2003 06:09 AM

You might also wait until the 9X gets on the street, and then find a used 8103 for a song....

comparing 8103 to 9c...

The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support for Futaba: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's email mailing list, offer email support (typically answered in under 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options;
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.
8U +s vs 8103:
1 more switch
4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes
normal & functional trainer
support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX
throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revo mix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches
aileron differential programming within flaperon
vtail programming in acro mode
start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)
elevon in glider prog
an invert pitch curve
delay on its heli offset mixing
1 more swash type — HN3
governor programming
eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery
a diode for reverse polarity protection
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates
9C ADDS:
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli — 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability in other features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability — UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.
8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack

Further comparisons: www.flash.net/~dynamic3 ; 9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html

kwelz 09-25-2003 08:06 AM

AMCROSS, believe me, you don't have to give me the benefits of the 9C. I absolutely love mine. The only way I would stop using it is if I got a 9Z.

There were two reasons I was considering the 8103.
1. I am out of Model Memory. I have 3 Helicopters and 7 planes either built or being built.

2. I have 4 JR recievers that the 9C is of course, useless with.

I decided that the best move would be to get a CAMpac and find someone who wants to trade recievers.