RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11614520-frsky-taranis-beginners-support-group.html)

ArcadeAir 03-23-2015 01:46 PM

Thanks, Sidegates. I have watched these before, but now that I am actually setting things up, I forgot a lot of details. Ill look these over again now that it is fresh in my memory. Thank you for the link!

8178 03-23-2015 02:02 PM

Sid,

I’ve got to say, the fact that a person with your vast experience in the radio control industry and prominence in the RC community is using a FrSky Taranis gives me a lot of confidence that my Taranis purchase was the right thing to do. Now I just wish the FEDEX truck would arrive soon.

Mike

sidgates 03-23-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 8178 (Post 12008872)
Sid,

I’ve got to say, the fact that a person with your vast RC radio experience and prominence in the RC community is using a FrSky Taranis gives me a lot of confidence that my Taranis purchase was the right thing to do. Now I just wish the FEDEX truck would arrive soon.

Mike

================================================== ================================================== ======================
Mike - Thanks for the compliment. I and two long time flying friends ordered the Taranis about 9 months ago. Now there are approx. 8 more flying at Chatfield and 2 at Cherry Creek. One at Chatfield received a bad (short range) receiver and all the rest have been good. The dealer replaced the defective receiver right away. The only model I have that I have not tried the Taranis in is my turbine jet. Still working up to that. I have corresponded with a fellow in N.E. US who has flown his in his turbine models.

I went with the Taranis primarily for the telemetry function.

8178 03-26-2015 12:10 PM

So far so good with my new Taranis Plus from Aloft Hobbies. Hope to fly it soon.

Mike

8178 03-27-2015 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How the wiring is done on the latest shipment of the Taranis Plus gimbal potentiometers along with potting compound on potentiometer connection.

Mike

8178 04-02-2015 08:53 AM

Sid,

I see in my AMA Model Aviation magazine that you have been inducted into the AMA Model Aviation hall of fame. Congratulations to you, and I cannot think of a more deserving person.

Mike

8178 04-02-2015 08:54 AM

Having my Taranis Plus for only two weeks I’ve read where a few owners have had problems updating their firmware. It seemed worrisome; so I felt it would be smart to go slow and some carful research was in order.

I just want to report that after studying the Open TX documentation and watching a number videos including Scott’s excellent information on the firmware upgrade, my 2.0.15 upgrade went very smoothly.

Mike

sidgates 04-02-2015 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=8178;12015308]Sid,

I see in my AMA Model Aviation magazine that you have been inducted into the AMA Model Aviation hall of fame. Congratulations to you, and I cannot think of a more deserving person.
================================================== ===============

Mike,
Thanks for your notice and comment. I was awarded the Hall of Fame plaque at the Jan. meeting of the Denver R/C Eagles. The President of the Eagles, Jack Steinhauser, wrote a very complimentary bio for the occasion. A link to the bio is on this web page. http://www.sidgates.us/BIOS/AMA%20HOF%20PAGE%201.htm

You seem to know me, I don't recognize Mike from Atlanta. Tell me more about yourself here or via direct email: [email protected]

Sid

8178 04-02-2015 10:09 AM

Sid,

Email sent.

Mike

ron12901 04-12-2015 07:05 PM

I have a quick question on how to set up the throttle with my Taranis for a gas engine. I would like to know what is the best way to set the low end end point and also how to set an exponential curve from low to high. Thanks for any recommendations.

sidgates 04-14-2015 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ron12901 (Post 12021310)
I have a quick question on how to set up the throttle with my Taranis for a gas engine. I would like to know what is the best way to set the low end end point and also how to set an exponential curve from low to high. Thanks for any recommendations.

================================================== ===========================================
Ron,
I will outline my method, others can add their ideas.
I start with "Inputs" and "Mixers" set at 100% for throttle. I pick a hole on the servo arm or wheel that gives me as close to full travel on the carb as I can get. Next with the engine running I would fine tune the throttle "mixer" setting the give the idle I want and then fine tune the high end for full open carb.

I haven't used the "curves" function yet but I think you could adjust the throttle channel for the throttle response you desire. I hope some else can help you there.

8178 04-15-2015 09:23 AM

Good explanation Sid. Also with OpenTX there are options on how the trim works with throttle. I have mine set so the trim only impacts the low end of the throttle travel.

Mike

sidgates 04-15-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 8178 (Post 12022831)
Good explanation Sid. Also with OpenTX there are options on how the trim works with throttle. I have mine set so the trim only impacts the low end of the throttle travel.

Mike

=====================================
Mike,
Good reminder, I usually set mine for trim only at low throttle.
Sid

8178 04-30-2015 03:31 AM

One on the guys on an other forum spent a lot of time on this chart https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...RUE/view?pli=1 that compares a number of Spektrum radios with Taranis. Interesting to see all the features lined up like this on a chart.

Mike

gsmith6879 04-30-2015 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by 8178 (Post 12031248)
One on the guys on an other forum spent a lot of time on this chart https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...RUE/view?pli=1 that compares a number of Spektrum radios with Taranis. Interesting to see all the features lined up like this on a chart.

Mike

Mike,

Great info. My buddy has a DX18 and I have the Taranis. We are always comparing functions. This make it much easier.

8178 04-30-2015 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by gsmith6879 (Post 12031266)
Mike,

Great info. My buddy has a DX18 and I have the Taranis. We are always comparing functions. This make it much easier.

Your buddy must feel very deprived and powerless!

Mike

gsmith6879 04-30-2015 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 8178 (Post 12031294)
Your buddy must feel very deprived and powerless!

Mike

Yea, he keeps looking at the price tags and wondering were he went wrong:-)

siblues 05-19-2016 01:12 PM

What's up guys and gals.I am new to Rc'ing I am in the process of building my first multirotor and I am going to purchase a Taranis and X8R.I was just wondering where you guys recommend I get them?I was waiting for Aloft but they seem to be out of stock.I am looking for somewhere where they stand behind their customers.I was going to buy my stuff from HobbyKing but after how they handle technical assistance I am staying away from them.

s3nfo 05-19-2016 03:31 PM

Service just doesn't get any better than Aloft. Send Wayne an email and ask him when they expect them to be back in stock.

siblues 05-19-2016 04:10 PM

Yeah I contacted them last week and they told me Monday but it doesn't look like they are sure when they are coming in.They seem like really cool people but do you guys have any other suggestions?

pbratten 03-16-2017 10:02 AM

Hi there, I just bought a taranis x9e and am very excited to start using its tremendous capacity, but have run into a bit of a snag right out of the gate and am hoping to get some help here.

I plugged in the radio to the wall using the provided charger and left it charging overnight. However, the battery charge light never stopped flashing, even after being charged all night. I verified that the battery is plugged in (it is). When I push the power button with the radio plugged in or not plugged in, nothing happens. I am trying to figure out if something is defective (charger, battery, or something else) of if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

8178 03-16-2017 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by pbratten (Post 12316504)
Hi there, I just bought a taranis x9e and am very excited to start using its tremendous capacity, but have run into a bit of a snag right out of the gate and am hoping to get some help here.

I plugged in the radio to the wall using the provided charger and left it charging overnight. However, the battery charge light never stopped flashing, even after being charged all night. I verified that the battery is plugged in (it is). When I push the power button with the radio plugged in or not plugged in, nothing happens. I am trying to figure out if something is defective (charger, battery, or something else) of if I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

If the light is flashing it is not charging. It should flash less then a few min and then go solid green. When the light goes out it is fully charged. You are sure the battery is plugged in correctly? Do you have a volt meter that you could use to see if the battery has voltage?

Mike

pbratten 03-16-2017 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do, and I checked it--the battery has 1.2 v. That's after 10 hours of being plugged in to the power source. Seems like it's got to be the battery, the internal charger, or the charger itself. Here is ashot of the battery plugged in.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2205583

joefly9 03-17-2017 07:31 PM

Need a little help with my voltage sensor setup. I have it reading the total voltage of my motor battery, a 4 cell. I would also like to read the lowest cell of the battery so I can determine when to land. I set this up in Special Functions as a Play Val of the Cels using a switch. This gives me the total Voltage only. From what I've read, there should be a "CEL" selection I could use that has the value of the lowest cell. The selection I have to choose from are: Cels, Cels+ and Cels-. None of them give me the value of the lowest cell. My radio is the QX7 and is my first FrSky radio. Receiver is X8R and X6R.

ForrestFrantz 08-12-2017 07:37 AM

Taranis Radio Binds But Doesn't Bind

I follow the binding routine (various but all end up with the same result).
- Mode D16, Ch 1-8 (or 1-16) ; no jumpers on X8R; do nothing with [Range]
- When press Ent at [Bind], the X8R Green-Red solid LEDs turn to Green Solid + Red flashing as expected and the radio chirps … which means it bound, right?
- Press Ent again and Exit on radio.
- Then power off radio and receiver (tried other sequences here too and all lead to the same result).
- Then power on the receiver (without pressing F/S) and radio off (so I can see the LED sequence better)
... one flash of Red-Green followed by
... Red flashing (correct indication that it is in failsafe mode, so far so good)

NOW for the weird part!
- Then power on the receiver
- As soon as I press enter to get past the warnings
- Then both LEDs go dark (Red stops flashing and might get a quick Green flash)
- The LED should turn solid Green

This occurs on a brand new matching radio and receiver (both bought in the same kit recently). But I bought the matching set because I had the same problem on my other radio (about a year old) with all of my other FrSky receivers (X4R, etc.).

See YouTube video:

Suggestions??? Help!!!