RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Help with choosing a transmitter 2.4ghz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11643478-help-choosing-transmitter-2-4ghz.html)

colosus 12-10-2017 05:41 AM

HELP WITH CHOOSING A 2.4ghz TRANSMITTER

Hi Chaps

Its been a while since i got back into the RC world and need some advice on a transmitter, there's a few which i am looking at secondhand and new... could someone help out please..

I am no newbie to RC having flown Jr Propo Helis and some light planes, lots of cars and boats... the last radios i had was an old Graupner Mc10 i think and a Hitec flash 4, the graupner could fly heli by mixing and a lot of messing around to make it work, the Hitec can fly buts its too old and cant fly Heli... plus now we're in a 2.4ghz world..

My main reason is to fly some FPV EPP Wings like Teksumo, Race wings Vertigo 40 and Wing Wing Z-84, and very important RC sims like Phoenix 5.5 and RF but i also don't want to be limited, i want to still have the option to fly any Heli, plane and drive any car and boat.( ofcause any transmitter drives car and boat.. silly me )

So here i found a few to choose from on a budget...but have no idea what to buy .... HELP

Turnigy 9x AFHDS 2A + Receiver
Futaba T9CP SUPER
Futaba T7C 2.4hz version
Spektrum DX6i

lets hear your views please chaps

wnewbury 12-10-2017 08:47 AM

DX6e much better than DX6i, IMO.

colosus 12-10-2017 08:54 AM

Thanks for reply, but that didn't help at all...
What about the others .... ? from these i found fairly cheap secondhand... so need to know out of all these... which one

Zeeb 12-10-2017 09:03 AM

Suggest you head on over to RCGroups and look for both the radio questions and what the FPV folks have to say. I think that it's pretty safe to say (having used them) that you can forget the bottom three radio choices because they do not have the programming power I think you'll need. As for the Turnigy? I'm NOT a fan but there are lots of fans over on RCGroups.

blvdbuzzard 12-10-2017 01:18 PM

I have a 9x I flashed with the er9x firmware, the i6 and the i10. I have not had any brown out, hiccups or loss of signal of any kind. They have been dead nuts reliable. They are also budget friendly.

A lot has to do with what you want the radio to do. If it is just an average 4-6 channel sport plane, hard to pass up the i6.
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-i...r_warehouse=CN

The i6's bigger brother
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-i...r_warehouse=CN

The 7 channel Tarins
https://www.banggood.com/brands-FrSk...ry-top-bbanner

or its bigger brother
https://www.banggood.com/Frsky-2_4G-...r_warehouse=CN

Picking a radio now, can be a difficult thing to do. So many good radios with so many different models to pick from.

Buzz.

colosus 12-10-2017 09:58 PM

Thanks Buzz
My main reason is to fly some FPV EPP Wings like Teksumo, Race wings Vertigo 40 and Wing Wing Z-84, and very important RC sims like Phoenix 5.5 but i also don't want to be limited, i want to still have the option to fly any Heli, plane.

That Flysky FS-i6x i seen on ebay but i dont like the look... although its 10 model capable it looks toyish
The Flysky fsi10 looks much better but out my price for now
Q X7s looks real nice... I can get the Q X7 in white for 90 quid just not sure if its the right transmitter, seems to be a drone tranny ??

Why has no one said about those Futaba transmitters i mentioned there 2.4ghz ? i can get these for 70 to 80 quid secondhand

So now to sum up out of 2 choices so far
The Turnigy 9x or the Flysky Q x7, on a pro level which would you buy ?

Ok main reason little cash as going on Holiday and ordered a Wing Zeta z-84, I also am ordering the Vertigo 40 Race wing, the Zeta i will take on Hols and to fly Phoenix 5.5 Sim
Later i will get another Helicopter so i dont want to change transmitters, like my old Jr Propo Ergo 50 had lots of mixing and channels for Gyro and god knows how many servos I think 5 so needs lots of channels and mixing I suppose.

Let us know about these 2 transmitters.. which would be most needed for me

colosus 12-11-2017 08:43 AM

So if i was going for the Q x7 Taranis which would be a good but cheap receiver for me to get, enough channels for a plane or heli ?

I'm not getting much help, I've posted on 2 forums, what i cant understand is why people don't suggest the Futaba's i stated ? they were top radios before these newbies came out, I really need to know that I'm not making a mistake to buy a Q x7 Taranis over a Futaba T7c or Futaba T9cp Super as i can get any of these second hand on around the same price..

Zeeb 12-11-2017 02:16 PM

The reason you are not getting many responses is you want a lot of capability but are not willing to pay for it, plain and simple. There is a reason old tx's, such as the Futaba 9C, Futaba 7C and the Spektrum DX6i are cheap. They are old and not even any of the better radios available even when those were new.

Now you are complaining because no one is telling you how to make your pipe dream come true.

colosus 12-11-2017 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12389911)
The reason you are not getting many responses is you want a lot of capability but are not willing to pay for it, plain and simple. There is a reason old tx's, such as the Futaba 9C, Futaba 7C and the Spektrum DX6i are cheap. They are old and not even any of the better radios available even when those were new.

Now you are complaining because no one is telling you how to make your pipe dream come true.

That's a nice way to talk to a fellow RC ... mate

Absolutely useless info .... thanks a bunch... I will not be using this forum again... I went for the 9xr pro in the end... and that's not from your useless info...
And for your info the Futaba i mentioned are more than capable of flying Wings.....
Dont reply to my thread again..
The whole point is that i been away from the RC a while since way before 2.4ghz came in.... and needed some advice on a few radios before i went on Hols... shame it was too much of a question.

karolh 12-20-2017 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by colosus (Post 12390012)
That's a nice way to talk to a fellow RC ... mate

Absolutely useless info .... thanks a bunch... I will not be using this forum again... I went for the 9xr pro in the end... and that's not from your useless info...
And for your info the Futaba i mentioned are more than capable of flying Wings.....
Dont reply to my thread again..
The whole point is that i been away from the RC a while since way before 2.4ghz came in.... and needed some advice on a few radios before i went on Hols... shame it was too much of a question.

Come now, no need to get your undies all in a tangle. Zeeb has just been trying to help you not make an error in your judgement based on the requirements you indicated you want. I for myself fly a discontinued Fut 8UAF upgraded to 2.4 with a FrSky module but then my needs are a lot simpler than yours and I am quite happy with the performance of my radio which still exceeds my abilities. This is supposed to be fun so let's try and keep it that way plus I sure hope that the radio choice you made lives up to all your expectations.

J330 12-28-2017 08:49 PM

I use the 9C with a SLT adapter to 2.4, also rcgroups recommended the Flysky i6, but none of those folks mentioned a serious handicap with that $45 radio not having a trim adjustment for airplanes, only a very very small range of trim, for drones. What a joke that is every flying day.

I have seen the Taranus radios at the field, and for the money and features, I've heard good things. But 11 years using 9C radios and benefiting from the 2.4 Ghz adapter I found for $12, it blows away programming time I need using the Tactic 650. Glad those receivers didn't go to waste. The Any Link adapter is no longer in production through the shortsightedness typical of Hobbico. You buy radios overseas you'll get a convoluted manual at best, and no support. Telemetry is a joke, because of the poor availability for sensors or high cost. That's the main points I've concluded doing the same trial and search this winter myself. The 9C I picked up for $50, Super version with a campac module. $6 more than a FlySky i6. https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-transmitters.html . All the gimbals on these radios feel like garbage you get with a $75 drone. Tactic uses ball bearing, very smooth. https://www.tacticrc.com/transmitter...660/index.html

colosus 12-29-2017 08:20 AM

Hi mate thanks for the reply... most informative information... cheers
After not having much help I went and bought a second hand Turnigy 9xR mode 2 + FrSky DJT module and 2 receivers V8FR and V8R7 full range with Open TX installed for $80, it was listed as a Pro but arrived as 9XR, still i'm sure this is all i need, I wasn't asking too much I was trying to opt for an older radio that people have used in the past easily enough to fly Wings, Helis and Airplanes, I have seen many videos on converting Jr radios to 2.4ghz.

Any how all i need now is to choose which receiver is best for the Wing z84...

karolh 12-29-2017 08:54 AM

I really wish you well with your radio and hope that you have much better luck with yours than a friend of mine had with his which was bought new and after a very short while several of the functions started acting up. After fiddling with it for awhile he eventually got rid of it and bought a used Fut 9C.