RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   What is a good radio (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11651816-what-good-radio.html)

stroker280 07-20-2018 06:24 PM

What is a good radio

Got a Graupner that I am fixin to throw through the wall. Done with it. Looks like Futaba is going out of business. Whats everybodys experience with the Spectrum? Ease of setup etc.

Thanks
Jeff

BarracudaHockey 07-20-2018 06:33 PM

Spektrum is one of the easiest to program radios on the market if not the easiest.

I have hundreds of flights on my stuff with no radio issues.

stroker280 07-20-2018 06:41 PM

Visited a new club I'am thinking about joining last weekend. Everyone that was there had Spectrum with one exception that was using a Hitec system. Everyone I spoke with seemed to be happy with them. Going to look into them. I dont want another radio I have to be a computer programer to setup.

Thanks
Jeff

MaxSouthoz 07-20-2018 06:42 PM

I've only got a DX 9 and a DX e and a handful of receivers, but haven't had a glitch so far.

I use the DX e as a wireless buddy box.

But what I really love is the brand support, and as a complete newbie of 70+ years, I need that.

No. I mean I really need it. :p

Cheers
Max

stroker280 07-20-2018 06:52 PM

Max I know what you mean. LOL. I lost two Jr's and a box of Receivers in a flood 2yrs ago. Still trying to regroup from that. Just not up to speed right now with everything. Good group of guys here and I respect and appreciate everyones input.

Thanks
Jeff

Xpress 07-23-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by stroker280 (Post 12448749)
Looks like Futaba is going out of business.

Being an industry insider, I can tell you that this is 110% false:

https://futabausa.com/

Hobby operations make up a small portion of their business. You'd be shocked to hear how big their commercial industry is.

BarracudaHockey 07-23-2018 10:39 AM

No kidding, they were messing with 2.4G industrial stuff years before anyone was using it for recreational RC

JCOKEEFE 07-23-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by stroker280 (Post 12448749)
Got a Graupner that I am fixin to throw through the wall. Done with it. Looks like Futaba is going out of business. Whats everybodys experience with the Spectrum? Ease of setup etc.

Thanks
Jeff

Hitec Aurora 9X. I have used the Hitec Aurora radios for years, Never a problem. Priced right. However, it sounds like you will follow the pack and go Spectrum. Good luck.

stroker280 07-23-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 12449384)
Being an industry insider, I can tell you that this is 110% false:

https://futabausa.com/

Hobby operations make up a small portion of their business. You'd be shocked to hear how big their commercial industry is.

Express glad to hear Futaba is doing well. I didnt know they were that big. I had a Futaba radio on one of my boats many years ago but never had used them on my planes. Still undecided on another radio system. Not in a big hurry. Got two new planes on the bench I'am building now.

Jeff

karolh 07-24-2018 09:05 AM

I've been a Futaba user ever since I started flying R/C in the early 80's only because thats what most of the guys at my club flew and I could get all the help if it was ever needed. Over the years the brand has been extremely good to me as I have never had a Tx, Rx or servo malfunction while flying, however I can recall having a decent glitch while flying a mag ignition gas model on 72. Has never happened again with my 2.4 system. Anyway I guess stories like mine are quite common among users of the various radio brands available.

SwampFlier-RCU 07-24-2018 09:53 AM

Stroker.. if looking ofr a 9 ch radio, the Aurora 9X is the way to go, very easy to program

REgards,
Patrick

stroker280 07-24-2018 12:22 PM

Thanks Patrick. I will take a look at them tonite.

Jeff

JollyPopper 07-27-2018 04:49 PM

I have been a Futaba user for many years. A couple years ago, a friend at the field started using a Hitec Aurora 9 and I was fascinated with it. I got one, then later got a 9X. I am more that satisfied with them as well as with the Futaba 10 channel that I still have. The Hitec is easier to program. especially since it has on screen programming, but I still use the Futaba as well. I have no problems with either and I suspect that most folks would say the same about any of the leading brand radios. I guess the point here, if there be one, is that any of the half dozen or so leading brands are very good and very reliable. My suggestion would be to use whatever the preponderance of folks in your flying group use just since you would have immediate input if you were to run into a programming problem. Today';s radios are all good.

Highflight 07-31-2018 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JCOKEEFE (Post 12449474)
Hitec Aurora 9X. I have used the Hitec Aurora radios for years, Never a problem. Priced right. However, it sounds like you will follow the pack and go Spectrum. Good luck.

I'll generally agree with that.
But I have liked the open programming style of the Multiplex Evo radios for quite a while and have gone even further by converting it and going to XPS TX module and their receivers.
At the moment, I have an Aurora 9X, an Evo12 updated to their latest firmware, and a Taranis X9D.

Of the three, the Evo is my favorite and most used, but I do fly a couple of my planes on the 9X and Taranis.
I have no plan to change anything other than to buy some more XPS receivers.
If/when the Evo ever craps out, however, I will be sorely forced to make a decision on what to replace it with.
I think I've already decided if that day ever comes, I would buy a Horus X12S, immediately install a XPS TX module, and never look back.

If I ever crash the airplanes that the X9 and Taranis are flying now, I would likely sell off both of them. Still, the X9 is a great radio and is a good option for people who are overwhelmed or confused with open programming.