RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Graupner radio reviews (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11654459-graupner-radio-reviews.html)

PDF 09-22-2018 02:00 PM

Graupner radio reviews

Hello all,
I'm seriously looking for another radio system for my airplanes. I have a Spectrum DX7s now. The issue is that I don't have any faith in the system anymore, myself and others have had issues with intermittent problems and brownouts that fortunately come back, but it's an uneasy feeling to not have confidence in your equipment. Well the last straw was when I purchased my first gasser from a fellow member, a AW extra 300 with a 35cc engine and only was able to enjoy it for 3 days. I could be interference around my field, I don't know but I have to move on to another brand. First I was just going to go to Futaba, but a friend mentioned a few other brands and one was Graupner. Does anyone have any input on that brand or own one that could give me there review on it? I'm looking to build a 50cc size over the winter and want to use another electronics system besides Spectrum. Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Pat

computermonkey 09-26-2018 03:30 AM

Hello,
By chance have you tested your switch harness and batteries to make sure they are supplying your receive enough power? 2.4ghz system drive the servos harder then a similar 72mhz system.
I have done back to back current draw using the same servos, receiver, and switch harness. The 72mhz system was able to use the JR heavy duty switch without any issue but when I changed the receiver out to a 2.4mhz the switch harness did not allow enough current to the receiver. I had to switch to a A123 battery from someone like Hangtimes Hobbies or ElectroDynamics and use their Ultra heavy duty (with dual feed to the receiver) switches. After doing this the current remained stable with very little drop.

If you do not have the equipment to monitor current draw get a Voltmagic from Hang Time Hobbies. Plus I highly recommend it if your using A123 batteries. https://www.voltmagic.com/

PDF 09-29-2018 05:10 AM

Thank you for the reply,
I haven't tested the switch harness, but after your reply I will have too.
Thank you

c/f 10-07-2018 06:58 AM

I've been in to RC for 45 years started with Futaba in mid 70''s, worked well untill mid 80's when they chose not to support heli pilot needs, switched to JR and never looked back, then came 2.4G within month of using it I was frustrated with the the now unreliable performance and the "brown outs". Seems for 20 years we never REALLY knew how to power a model properly. So I ended up paying $185 for a Robbe Futaba FASST module for my collection of JR TX while working in Germany having owned, 2 JR 10X, 3 JR 8103, 1 JR 9303. Then came the nail in the coffin for my 2.4 Spectrum ending scenario, I had an electric heli that once in throttle hold you could move just the throttle up an down which causes all servos except tail to move and the SpreadRectum would "brown Out" then to disprove the "brown out" theory on bench testing I put a 6vdc 5000Ma A123 and no switch directly to rx and run scenario and it still would "brown out". Now having the FAsst module I just swapped rx and TX module and back to the original BEC supplied power and whallo, go fly. In about 3 more flights the gyro actully quit working and was deemed defective. So in hindsight and concluded to myself that yes there was a power grid issue going on with the gyro that the Spreadrectum did not like and wigged out but Fasst worked through it till the offending gyro died. So since that day until 2015 I bought 3 more Fasst modules for my JR's, as well as a Futaba 12Z. I did however have a weakness for JR and in 2014 bought a second hand JR12X and only bought the DSMX6 or higher for foamies and models I had less than $400 invested and bind and fly horizon offerings are COOL..

Now in 2015 I decided that "smart recievers" and "telemetry" is the future of RC modeling. I did an exhaustive soul searching to see who is above the rest and the only choice of vendors doing ALL things on ALL fronts of rc modeling is Graupner. The first to exit the chapter 11 reorg and with that legacy debt gone they are hitting it strong. now 3 years later and flying the Mz24 and Mz24 Pro, I am all in and not one uttoh moment. The 3 axis gyro rx with heading hold are like candy, I cant hardly NOT buy them. the telemetry is awesome. I just bought the Mx32 prior to tarrifs. Below is a short list of items that I feel ONLY Graupner offers in this field.

Free mixing within a reciever itself, even micros Very Cool feature.
Voice telemetry done right , Futaba is enemic, JR did not offer it under the 28X, JOKE
All "Sbus" format supports, and "Sbus" only Rx
Telemetry included on ALL rx even 2gram micros
All smart rx and accesories program thru TX screen interface, NO PC YEAHHH quad flying.
Color touch screen "works fine in sunlight"
"modelmatching all Recievers
MP3
Bluetooth
Wifi
Sd card
USA service/support

Now consider this, the MZ24 pro is an all aluminum quad bearings gimbals 4096 resolution, color touch screen, full telemetry for under $300 bucks if you consider and back out the included items not found with other offerings.ie.

Includes:
3 rx
Quality aluminum Case
Lipo battery TX
SD card
USB/PC cables

In the end, at the low cost at this point in time, I think all serious modelers should dabble in the Graupner arena to make their own decision since the big 3 are no longer as dominent as years past in solvency and forward thinking needs of the future.of RC.

Appowner 10-09-2018 06:56 AM

I too am starting the search for a new radio. I've lost faith in Spektrum as a company and a product. So I am looking at both Graupner and Futaba for a 30% project I'm gathering components for. Any input would be appreciated.

hpais 10-09-2018 08:48 PM

+1 in the above.

I own a 12X which was my choice radio for many years. I absolutely love it. With JR gone, the Spektrum radios are nowhere near the same level of quality. Today my choice is between a FrSky Horus 10S or a Graupner MZ 24 Pro. I don’t think I need more than 12 channels, and telemetry is a must for me now, after almost losing a turbine Eurosport because a LiPo decided to quit mid flight. It was my fault, I forgot to charge it, and the ECU simply shut it down, rather than sacrificing the battery to save the model...

anyhow, I like the Graupner brand, I like the availability of receivers, gyros. And the FrSky have the same going for them, receivers, compatibility with top line telemetry modules like sm-Modellbau, plus OpenTx... at least there are choices, both great choices...

Appowner 10-12-2018 07:47 AM

And for the radio mfrs watching this. I don't personally want a great deal in the way of telemetry. However, biggest thing for my project would be the ability to monitor the cylinder temps of ALL Four cylinders at once. Believe it or not it is possible to have one cylinder looking fine while another one is burning up. And with the price of engines these days, especially multi cylinder ones...... So far it looks like Graupner is the only one capable of doing this. I also want temp sensors that fit as a washer under the spark plug. Not some wire lasso you throw around a cylinder. That is inconsistent at best and therefore useless for any real measurement.

I'm willing to pay for quality equipment that does what I need it to do. But I won't pay quality prices for crap.

bobg 10-26-2018 03:18 AM

I have two JR12 x radios and love them ..

but because of JR's demise I bought a graupner MZ32 ......all was great until recently !!!..

when I started to get confidence in the new system and started to use GR 24 ..(12 channel) receivers ...

when switching on, the servos connected to ports other than the first four jump madly to almost 60 degrees...this is not good especially with retracts ..

I had this problem with early spectrum 9 channel receivers .....

this will put me off graupner I think

Mgarmy 12-30-2018 09:32 PM

Most likely your fail safe was not set properly or at all.

Always good practice to do that first after positioning all you controls to their default position and store these in the RX memory in case of radio failure or in those cases where you turn the RX on first prior to turning the TX on.

bobg 12-31-2018 12:54 AM

Yes that’s exactly what I did ...on JR / spectrum system when you iniatilize all the servos stay where they are ....with Graupner I had to set failsafe on each Chanel used to keep servos from jumping to factory pre set during the switch on ...
my faith is restored ��

fiery 01-28-2019 07:52 PM

My MZ24 Tx battery has puffed.
GraupnerUS are out of OEM replacements. I guess there has been a run on them as batteries in the sets of early adopters reach use-by date.
Are there any third party vendors selling a suitable replacement off the shelf, plug-and-play?

c/f 01-29-2019 09:40 AM

I purchased the 6000MAH pack for my MZ24 with original purchase of radio, I velcro it on the outside of the battery compartment wire feeds in between slits of cover, I then store my 4000MAH on the inside of the battery compartment as a spare, So my 4000MAH is like new as I rarely use it. Now I bought the MZ32 I really have no need for my 4000MAH p.m. if you want to purchase it.

1 big skeeter 02-02-2019 12:45 AM

Several weeks ago, I bought the Graupner MZ-24PRO package.

It came with:

3 receivers
Quality aluminum Case
Lipo battery TX
SD card
USB/PC cables

I have already purchased 2 12 channel gyro receivers and have programmed the 4 aircraft I have flyable with ease.

Setting up the gyro, flaperons, flaps, or any other mixes/programs is really easy and intuitive.

Highly recommend the Graupner line!

Hellr8zer 02-02-2019 09:42 PM

Do not buy graupner radios! Read this!

I purchased the MZ24 upgrade to pro. They sell you the upgrade for 49 bucks and you can’t upgrade. Talked to support they told me I had to auto download to get a 10 digit I code first. I was unable to download it. Tried numerous times. Windows 10 says it doesn’t recognize the bin files. . I asked for a refund. No response for a refund. So I emailed the customer service department and stated if they are that hard up for money to keep it. I’ll post on Social media and let people know how bad thier product is. DO NOT BUY GRAUPNER RADIOS. Stick with JR or Futaba. They are better radios and thier service is great.

fiery 02-03-2019 02:48 PM

Sounds like an issue with your PC. Not Graupner. I had no trouble with the upgrade. Well worth the price.

PLANEGOBOOM 02-04-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by fiery (Post 12499785)
Sounds like an issue with your PC. Not Graupner. I had no trouble with the upgrade. Well worth the price.

I upgraded two mz-24's without any problems at all. Definitely one of the finest radios I've owned and I'm looking forward to buying the mz-32 this spring.