RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   need a new radio (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11658403-need-new-radio.html)

jeffp51 12-25-2018 10:44 PM

need a new radio

I have been out of the hobby for a couple of years, and I haven't bought a radio for several years before that. Last time I flew, transmitters had 9.6v nicad batteries. Now I try to buy a new radio, and they all have downgraded to 4 AA, with no option for charging. This seems like a horrible downgrade to me, especially when my cell phone and every other device I own is rechargeable. Are there any options out there for a 6-channel system with a rechargeable battery -- and while we are at it with a receiver -- and while we are really at it, also a receiver battery (I still like glow engines, not electric) -- oh, and all for something approaching a reasonable price?

I know this makes me a fossil, but that is what I am. I prefer to build my own planes, not buy foam from china

DaveHickey 12-26-2018 09:44 AM

I have a couple of Futaba FHSS system (T6 and T10) that come set up for 4XAA batts
but have a plug in Batt tray. I just got a LiFe 1100mah, 2 cell receiver pack and plugged
It in. About $6 and recharges on the same charger I use for my flight batts.

On top of that the TX shows the batt voltage and warns me when the batt gets low. Nothing easier.

D.H.

Zeeb 12-26-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jeffp51 (Post 12488489)
oh, and all for something approaching a reasonable price?

The first question is what do you consider a reasonable price? What are you intending to use it for e.g. how many channels and/or capabilities?

I know this makes me a fossil, but that is what I am. I prefer to build my own planes, not buy foam from china
You are really putting yourself in a box here. I strongly suggest that you check out the RTF and BNF options from Horizon which are almost all foam. There just isn't any significant demand for small wood kits anymore. Should you decide on something from Horizon, that would pretty much limit your tx choices.

Stickslammer 12-26-2018 01:27 PM

My Spektrum 6 takes 4 AA alkaline batteries. They last a long time and I don`t need a charger. Just pop in 4 new ones. Or you can get the rechargeable cells. And buy a charger.

c/f 12-27-2018 07:37 PM

Graupner MZ24 HoTt , NOTHING comes close at this price............

https://hyperion-world.com/en/p1650520-gr-s1006m1

Graupner short list includes,

Model MATCH, per model setup, or GLOBAL BIND per model setup, Glider guys like this for multiple planes but one TX model setup
Voice Telemetry built in EVERY rx. Viewable TX screens and APPS
SD, MP3, Datalogging
Color Touch screen + buttons entry
Flight Control based recievers program thru radio touchcreen, 3axis aero, multis, FB helis ect.
SUM (D) (O) and downloads to latest trends. Powerbox, Jeti Spectrum, Fasst, Cortex,DJI Lightbridge
PC connectable Firmware updates TX/RX

Plug in Bluetooth / Bluetooth Headsets ** Optional

Been in Rc for 40+ years always flew higher end Pro class TX,

Kraft, ProLine, FutabaGold, Jr10X, Jr12X 2.4g, Futaba12Z 2.4g, And now Graupner, MZ24, MZ32, the future of rc is telemetry and smart controller rx, NOBODY is even close to offering all the gadgets under one roof and ON SCREEN programming of devices via TX ............ This is the fun you have to look forward to its still a blast...........

A. J. Clark 12-28-2018 06:52 AM

Theres plenty of 6ch radio with rechargeable batteries. When it comes to tx its best to buy the best for yourself . Its something you will use every time you fly so why not buy one that you can be happy with.

KCCraig 05-27-2019 07:48 AM

followed the link to Hyperion, and looked at the Graupner TX. This looks like what I am looking for. Is this a China product? It is cheeper than Futaba but seems to have high end features.
I am replaceing a Futaba 6XA and all old servos are analog.

Jim.Thompson 06-01-2019 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12488562)
You are really putting yourself in a box here. I strongly suggest that you check out the RTF and BNF options from Horizon which are almost all foam. There just isn't any significant demand for small wood kits anymore. ...........................

Not at all!
Jeff does not mention kits. All he says is he prefers to build his planes not buy "foam from China".

Zeeb 06-01-2019 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson (Post 12528532)
Not at all!
Jeff does not mention kits. All he says is he prefers to build his planes not buy "foam from China".

And you consider assembling an ARF equivalent to building? Doesn't make any difference, he's not been online since he posted the question....

Jim.Thompson 06-01-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12528633)
And you consider assembling an ARF equivalent to building? Doesn't make any difference, he's not been online since he posted the question....

Are we reading the same post Zeeb? Or have I missed something?
He also does not make any mention of ARF's?
????????????

init4fun 06-01-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb (Post 12528633)
And you consider assembling an ARF equivalent to building? ....

:rolleyes: I don't , , , building is WAY easier than assembling the average ARF ....

Why do I say this ? , , , When I build I do it right the first time , from the ground up , and have no built in mistakes to correct during the build/assembly . Assembling most ARFs requires at least several corrections for things not done right , by the time all the factory blunders are squared away , might as well have just gone and built one right the first time ;)

Jim.Thompson 06-01-2019 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12528656)
:rolleyes: I don't , , , building is WAY easier than assembling the average ARF ....

Why do I say this ? , , , When I build I do it right the first time , from the ground up , and have no built in mistakes to correct during the build/assembly . Assembling most ARFs requires at least several corrections for things not done right , by the time all the factory blunders are squared away , might as well have just gone and built one right the first time ;)

That is my conclusion too!
However, I cannot remember buying and assembling an ARF........ever. I have had enough to do with those of other flying buddies to know what your report above is often, if not always, the case.
Besides, I design most of what I build anyway.