RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Stay with 50MHz or switch to 72MHz (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1718407-stay-50mhz-switch-72mhz.html)

Flightwatch 04-13-2004 04:57 AM

Stay with 50MHz or switch to 72MHz

I bought a Futaba 6AXS system with R127 receiver (1.5 oz) on channel 3 a few years ago for .25 to 1.0 size airplanes. Have accumulated three more R127's on channel 3 for my fleet. Am building some smaller planes that call for <.5 oz receivers. I find fewer choices and higher prices for small receivers on the 50MHz band when compared to the 72MHz band.

Does anyone know the pros/cons of staying with the 50MHz band? Am thinking about getting a Futaba 9CA on channel 13 and continue building my fleet on 72MHz where the choices for receivers are greater and the receiver cost is less. I fly fun-fly and 3D planes in a club.

LSP972 04-13-2004 06:26 AM

RE: Stay with 50MHz or switch to 72MHz

While I don't know of any major drawbacks to 50mHz (I'm sure there are some), I DO know of several advantages; the main one being that your chances of getting shot down by some newbie who has not yet grasped the concept of frequency control- or an experienced modeler with rectal/cranial inversion- are drastically diminished. An added bonus is hardly ever having to wait for a pin.

A buddy just switched over to ham band. He already had a license, but I understand getting an entry-level one is a non-issue; just takes a bit of time and a few dollars. The expense comes in where you have to buy a new tx module and replace all your receivers. That would be close to a grand for me.

I spent close to three grand switching back to Futaba from JR two years ago (bought new everything). I plan to go to 50mHz; if I can just start SAVING my hobby $$ instead of buying every new model or widget that catches my eye...:eek:

If I was you, I'd stay with 50mHz. Especially if you live in an urban area. I imagine the rf spectrum is rather "dirty" in most of New Jersey; and its only going to get worse.

Flightwatch 04-13-2004 08:21 AM

RE: Stay with 50MHz or switch to 72MHz

Steve. Thanks for your reply. I can think of a few drawbacks to 50MHz. 1) The limited choice of equipment. 2) The higher cost of receivers. 3) The dependence on Futaba to continue to make 50MHz stuff. 4) The fact that any ham can legally fire-up on my frequency. I always turn my receiver on before the transmitter to check for chatter, but don't know of any hits in the air. The way I fly, I can't tell the difference anyway.

On the plus side, I fly at two fields and have NEVER had to wait for a pin. At one field I found someone on my old freq of 53.5, but don't use those radios (Kraft and Heath) due to age.

What you say makes sense and unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll stay on channel 3 and get the FMA M5 at 0.3 oz and $90. The M5 should be available in May. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff for channel 13 and find out I have company at the field. Our club stopped keeping track of everyone's frequencies a few years ago. Not ready for synthesizers. Bob