RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   23 Year-Old Futaba - Is it Legal? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1753330-23-year-old-futaba-legal.html)

flymeaway 04-23-2004 11:30 PM

23 Year-Old Futaba - Is it Legal?

75.640MHz

I've heard it isn't legal, some say it doesn't matter as long as I'm not flying it at the club....... anyone know?

I will be doing most of my flying in my backyard, alone. Does it matter?

Thanks.

XJet 04-24-2004 03:48 AM

RE: 23 Year-Old Futaba - Is it Legal?

Isn't 75MHz now restricted to surface-use and not airplanes?

cwesh 04-26-2004 11:53 AM

That is a surface use only radio, even 23 years ago it was surface use only. (I have 2 of them- Futaba FG-6's Gold Box's from the early 80's)

And on top of that, if it is AM, it would need to be gold stickered. (Narrow band!)

Also, ask you self - do you want to be shot down by someone running a RC car 2 houses over?

Later!

Bax 04-26-2004 01:57 PM

75.640 is NOT a currently-legal R/C channel. It was an airplane-only frequency when it was.

Old wide-band equipment became illegal to use in 1998. Conversions include updating the transmitter, replacing the receiver, changing connectors on the servos, and likely replacing the transmitter and receiver battery packs. A 4-5 channel system can usually be replaced with a new one for what it would cost to convert the old system to narrow-band status.

Unfortunately, we are unable to perform the conversion on your system. Futaba stopped performing the conversions in the mid-90's.

Homebrewer 04-26-2004 02:20 PM

Is a 23 year old radio legal? Depends on what the age of consent is in your state. You may want to check before you take the radio across state lines.

HB

PS Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

P-51B 04-27-2004 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: cwesh

And on top of that, if it is AM, it would need to be gold stickered. (Narrow band!)

Later!

It would need to be gold stickered even if it was FM.

Jim Schwagle 04-27-2004 08:34 AM

My understanding is that Futaba produced no wideband FM sets. If a radio is Futaba and FM it's narrowband.

P-51B 04-27-2004 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Jim Schwagle

My understanding is that Futaba produced no wideband FM sets. If a radio is Futaba and FM it's narrowband.

Interesting, I have an FM 7 channel goldbox that I sent in back in the days of conversions, they charged me to narrow band it.

canesugarrules 04-27-2004 07:49 PM

Is it illegal under FCC law or under AMA coverage? I have an old AM Futaba TX that I use in my sailboat, and I don't plan on buying something new.

mr.rc-cam 04-27-2004 08:10 PM

I have an FM 7 channel goldbox that I sent in back in the days of conversions, they charged me to narrow band it.
As I recall, the charge was for the Rx upgrade. Even though all the old Futaba FM Tx's were narrow band from the get-go, the factory supplied Rx's were not at the time.

Is it illegal under FCC law or under AMA coverage?
In the USA, it's an FCC Part 95 legality. Of course AMA requires compliance too.

Bax 04-28-2004 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: canesugarrules

Is it illegal under FCC law or under AMA coverage? I have an old AM Futaba TX that I use in my sailboat, and I don't plan on buying something new.

Depending upon how old your system is, is may or may not be legal. More information would be needed. Which Futaba transmitter and receiver do you have? The FCC regulations that required narrow-band compliance was made in 1991, and all wide-band transmitters became illegal to use in 1998.

TyBryner 05-03-2004 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

Is a 23 year old radio legal? Depends on what the age of consent is in your state. You may want to check before you take the radio across state lines.

HB

PS Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Any state that considers 23 years to be under the age of consent is waaaay too uptight. :)