RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Modifying servos for continuous rotation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1757402-modifying-servos-continuous-rotation.html)

scubyfan 04-25-2004 04:16 PM

Modifying servos for continuous rotation

Hi guys,

On the ServoCity site, some are listed as being modifiable to continuous rotation. Can anyone provide any resources as to how one may do such a modification?

Thanks in advance! :)

Forgues Research 04-25-2004 04:24 PM

RE: Modifying servos for continuous rotation

Simply unsolder the feed back pot in the servo. Also check for the locking pin on the output gear, and break it away

Roger

MTT 04-25-2004 04:44 PM

dumb question (maybe) :
Why would you want to do that ?

ZAGNUT 04-25-2004 04:53 PM

makes a good winch for sailboats and the robot guys use them as a self contained (motor, gears, speed control) drive unit for wheels on smaller projects

dave

scubyfan 04-25-2004 05:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have not opened up a servo before, but I am aware that there is a pot in there. Does one unsolder *all* the wires to the pot?

Edit: Almost forgot. Once the modification is complete, and one rotates the servo a certain number of degrees, does it come back again to its original position? I assume not, but thought I'd ask just to be sure. [8D]

ZAGNUT 04-25-2004 05:33 PM

since the servo has no way of knowing where "center" is it just keeps turning in the direction that you're holding the stick...center the stick and the servo stops.

most pots have some kind of built in stop that must be overcome. if your servo doesn't rely on the pot for support of the output gear you can simply remove it. with the pot shaft disconnected from the gear train it can now be used as a "trim" to adjust the servo so that there is no movement with the stick centered.

another good use for this is rotating gun turrets

dave

scubyfan 04-25-2004 07:54 PM

Awesome, thanks. :)

Dsegal 04-25-2004 10:15 PM

> Why would you want to do that ? <

About a dozen years ago one of the magazines, probably Flying Models, was running occasional boat construction articles. Setting up a servo for continous running provided a tiny, reversible, drive mechanism for powering very small plastic ship models with a second channel for rudder. No ESC was needed for such a setup.

mick15 04-26-2004 08:40 AM

i use this method on my scratch built U/C i remove the pot and the final gear stop and use a micro switch to control the end stop, this way the overall travel is controlled by the U/C not the servo

M

LesUyeda 04-26-2004 09:12 AM

Forgive my ignorance, Mick, but what is a U/C?:eek:

Les

mick15 04-26-2004 09:57 AM

undercarriage

carlbecker 04-26-2004 02:16 PM

Servo City will modify the purchased servo for $5. I tried to use them for chain drive retracts on a Grumman Wildcat. I made circuit stops for end travel up and down.

Carl