RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Royal evo 12 feedback, heli? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1761149-royal-evo-12-feedback-heli.html)

ddub23 04-26-2004 06:20 PM

Royal evo 12 feedback, heli?

I've spent quite a bit of time using the forums for doing research. As I was looking around, there were several key points that has led me to consider the RE 12 (or Multiplex radios)-flexibility, programming and features. There are many people that swear that they will not go AR ever again, and others that would never switch from their current brand. For those of you who are using the Royal Evo 12, what are you flying? I am just getting into heli, so my question is are there any RE 12 heli flyers out there and what do you think? I've searched around and haven't found any threads that have addressed this. My LHS has put me at the top of their list for the RE 12 when it arrives, but beforehand, I'd like to hear some thoughts. Thanks for your input.

Derrick

tjay88 04-27-2004 04:37 PM

RE: Royal evo 12 feedback, heli?

Hi Derrick,
I've had my Evo for 18 months or so and is complete with the synth module and scanner, both of which are excellent. In fact I'm just waiting to receive a new synth reciever too!

As too what I fly, I fly both normal 2 stroke and turbine powered aircraft. I've also used it for heli flying with my Raptor. This radio is just superb once you get your head around how it works. The heli mode/template operates somewhat differently to what you're probably used too and it took me a little while to understand what was going on. Basically the collective is on the throttle stick and the throttle on the 'F' slider. Both operate entirely independantly until you engage a switch to activate the mixers. This way you can check the throttle response with out adding collective. Once the switch is engaged, moving the collective (i.e. throttle stick) up will still only increase collective pitch, not throttle as well. This had me completely puzzled for a while until I re-read the manual! With the collective stick down you now move the 'F' slider up to it's top position which increases the engine revs to a high idle(or whatever you set it too). Once this slider is at the top the throttle collective mixing is now active and advancing the throttle stick increases both the throttle and collective at the same time according to whatever parameters you have set with regard to curves etc. It probably sounds more complicated than it is.

I hope this proves useful to you. All I can say is than I don't regret buying this radio one bit. It just keeps getting better and better. Quite literally with the software update facility!

Regards,
Tony

mrigo 04-28-2004 01:09 PM

Hi Derrick,
I have an Evo 12 and an Evo9 for 12 months completes with the synth module and scanner. Also, I have a Rx 12 SYNTH DS IPD. Before Multiplex I had a JR PCM10X heli, and before, a Futaba 9WC. I believe never go back. Now I fly electric gliders, scale gliders, towplane in building process and a Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 V1. As say Toni in the previus reply read carefully the manual until you understand the Multiplex program style. You can download the manual from Multiplex web site! If you have specific questions, please let us here and is possible that one or other have the right answer for you!

Ahh!! The update firmware via PC is a fantastical tool! Until now I have updated my Evos 3 times! and backup all stored models hundred times!

Miquel Rigo.

ddub23 04-28-2004 01:46 PM

Thanks for the updates!

I have the advantage of not having previous experience with other radios since I'm new to RC. My thoughts about transmitters was to get the best I could, something that I could grow with. Throughout the forums I found many people flying gliders and planes, but nobody specifically mentioning heli. My other choice would have been the Futaba 9CHP, but with more research I was lead to the Evo's. I just downloaded the manual, and have already gone through the Tutorial (thanks Joedy, amazing work!). Everything makes sense and there is nothing to "unlearn". In addition to the programming flexibility, and ability to assign any control to any widget, I can get the Evo 12 cheaper at my LHS than I could get the Futaba 9CHP. That pretty much sold me.

Tony: Thanks for the heli feedback. I may be asking more questions really soon.
Miquel: I may have questions about the Rx 12 SYNTH DS IPD (when I get my RE 12!)

Sincerely,
Derrick